Poll: Satanism

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
InfiniteSingularity said:
funguy2121 said:
Venereus said:
Is the Santa thread ready yet? Can you link me too it, please?

Seriously, why are we giving satanism attention?
OP, you've gotta quit sourcing Wikipedia. After reading the first couple of paragraphs of link 1: here's some things I noticed.

In the book of Job he is called Satan (meaning "accuser."). Satan means "enemy." That's why in the movies you always see an Arab guy shouting about "American Satans."

...and acted as prosecutor in God's court. Satan was the angel in charge of music. He was not a "heavenly lawyer."

This character is the bringer of Armageddon and Apocalypse as featured within the Book of Revelation. The Beast and the AntiChrist, 2 separate figures, bring about the Apocalypse in the Book of Revelation.
Unfortunately, Wikipedia is the best source of information I have. And it's been 100% reliable for me without fail. It's for a basic understanding from those who don't actually know what it is, or for those people (abundant in this thread it seems) who misjudge or misunderstand the ideology of Satanism.
It clearly hasn't been 100% accurate (see above). I use wikipedia frequently but I often look elsewhere to verify what I find there. They get better at accuracy all the time but it'll never be a worthy source on its own due to the nature of how the info is compiled.

DasUberCow

May 26, 2009
NLS said:
Well, you don't get anything from being a satanist, it's not like you get your special place in hell when you die or something. Like most religions, not a necessary part of life for normal people.
You mean that worshipping a higher power isn't necessary, or that having a philosophy isn't.

If you didn't get it from the thread so far, Satanism has two sides. Religious and philosophical. I only know much about the philosophical side and i can safely say that it's just a loose guideline about how to live your life to the best of your ability. Staying away from destructive relationships, and living for yourself seemed to be what i took from it.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
LaVeyan Satanism is amusingly stupid, so I'd love to know some more edgy teens that follow it so I could take the piss out of them. Anyone who is that self absorbed deserves it. Plus as far as I know it teaches that neanderthal concept of 'an eye for an eye'. Quite a few of its beliefs revolve around being a prick and using the 'HUMAN NATURE!!!' excuse to make it all ok.

It's not like some other belief systems which I disagree with; Anyone who seriously follows those teachings is an asshole.

EDIT:
Generic Gamer said:
It's childish is what it is.

Who the hell names their religion 'Satanism'? There's precisely one reason to call a religion that and we all know what it is. The religion itself is also flawed, especially LaVeyan satanism, like all forms of nihilism it relies upon other people being more sensible than you. It's pure childish drivel, concerned with 'non conformism' and with taking an immature swipe at Christianity.

EDIT: Also those commandments are so Fucking Teenage it hurts! I mean, come on!
I agree with this guy, basically. If everyone was a LaVeyan Satanist then we wouldn't function at all because everyone would be an asshole.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I know absolutely nothing about their religion and I honestly don't care. As far as I am concerned they are just a bunch of random cultists who believe stupid things.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Theistic Satanism is perplexingly foolish, as the Theistic Satanist believes in a creator God, yet chooses to align themselves with the enemy of an omnipotent power. LeVeyan Satanism, on the other hand, is Objectivism without the Atheism or, in other words, Objectivism without the only part of it I find at all correct.

So, I dislike both Theistic and Leveyan Satanism.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I only know what I know about Satan from the Bible. He was an angel, he wanted more power, God kicked his butt and his(Satan's) angel followers into hell. Satan rules over hell.

Sep 6, 2009
If I'm going to be a selfish indignant prick, it won't be to honor Satan. Why would I go to all that trouble for myself when it involves doing it all for somebody else?

That's stupid.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I think its worshiping the devil. And thats its probably the funniest thing I've ever heard.

*reads*

I see, its about being selfish.

Honestly, I think Satanism is just a large scale trolling attempt.

EDIT:
Wait a minute, this IS large scale trolling. Found this under their holidays:
<quote=Wikipedia-LaVeyan Satanism: Satanic Holidays>Entirely secular holidays are commonly celebrated by Satanists either for personal reasons or merely as an excuse to have a good time. It is not entirely uncommon for Satanists to even celebrate overtly Christian holidays such as Christmas, though the religious trappings are generally stripped from the holiday, secularizing it. Many Satanists, however, either transfer such holidays as Christmas to the Winter Solstice and either place a darker spin on it or secularize it entirely, or decline to celebrate such holidays altogether.

I still cant stop smiling.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
It has it's ups and downs. Rules of not giving or offering your opinion unless asked sounds ridiculous as it makes having a good conversation a nightmare.

And then there's this one:

"When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them." (exact quote)

"Excuse me sir I'm a little lost/confused I was wonde-"

"Leave me alone"

"But sir-"

*POW!*

It has some good points but overall I think it's more bad than good and I say that having a sympathetic view of the bibles version of Lucifer.

InfiniteSingularity

Apr 9, 2010
Jumpingbean3 said:
It has it's ups and downs. Rules of not giving or offering your opinion unless asked sounds ridiculous as it makes having a good conversation a nightmare.

And then there's this one:

"When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them." (exact quote)

"Excuse me sir I'm a little lost/confused I was wonde-"

"Leave me alone"

"But sir-"

*POW!*

It has some good points but overall I think it's more bad than good.
As with every religion, Satanism can (and probably should) be taken with a grain of salt. There is also an element of respect of other people which is present as well. And you don't have to follow it strictly, for example, the point you raised I would call it extremist satanism. I would say with someone 'bothering' you, there is a difference between someone stopping you to ask for some directions/advice, and someone threatening to stab you in the face with a glass bottle. I think if someone 'bothers' you, it should be referring to someone who is being hostile, verbally or physically.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
SakSak said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Theistic or LaVeyan Satanism? I think theistic Satanism is just idiotic, and I think LaVeyan Satanism is just childish.
This pretty much sums it up.

Satanism as self-worship is, quite frankly, childish, short-sighted and attention-grabbing. The 'philosophy' doesn't work all that well in modern society (eye for an eye isn't exactly compatible with current western law system) and the terminology used is needlessly attention-whoring. 'Ooh, cool you get to call your room something other than a room'.

Also, sex is magic? Wtf?

Theistic satanism is no better. Why would anyone worship something like that?
Yup pretty much my thoughts here.

Honestly the whole thing sounds like objectivism with magic.