Poll: School of Magic

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
Frankster said:
Rhymenoceros said:
Yeah it does. When he mentions Avatar it's regarding the awesome kids TV (with a terrible film made of it) where there are 4 nations and certain people within each nation can control a particular element. Fire Nation mages control fire etc.
Ooooooooh THAT Avatar, sorry for some reason I was thinking of the blue skinned xenos Avatar (for the record, i'm not familiar nor have seen either of them) so figured it might be some nature magic stuff.

Then yeah, definitly elementalism, the nation of ice/water if possible, whichever is more applicable ^^
Yeah, I'd have gone either for air or for water given the choice, but I like to think you have all 4. A cool thing in the series was that, with the exception of air, they have advanced techniques that only the best learn. There are a couple in the fire nation who can learn to control lightning as well, for water there's just the woman who invented it and one of the main support characters who learn blood bending and the ability to control live animals and people through their blood. And one of the key support characters invents metal bending where they manipulate the earth in metals. Dunno if that changes your choice...

Come to think of it Earth is a hell of a lot better with metal bending included. One of my favourite scenes is when they take control of a fire nation battle ship (fire-nation are the bad guys of the series) and the metal bender kicks the metal door to the bridge down by swinging feet first into it then the she lands on the door and it wraps up around her to protect her. Plus she's blind and perceives what happens around her just by feeling the earth around her. That's useful right! I might see if I can find a video of that scene...

I can't find it. Sorry

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Necromancy. Why? I will feed upon the destructions of my enemies. Eventually, all will tremble beneath my mighy undead army and my fallen enemies will join me. Nothing can match the sheer power of numbers and the power to turn anything living into a dead but animate beast from inside out is not something to hold lightly.

You can shoot al the fireballs you want, but nothing stops death. It will eventually find you and when it does, I will be there to make you join my army.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Rhymenoceros said:
for water there's just the woman who invented it and one of the main support characters who learn blood bending and the ability to control live animals and people through their blood.
Most if not all creatures on earth have their bodies made mostly out of water, so makes sense. Taking this to the next level, you could presumably boil a living creature's blood for messy results....

This only makes the water faction more appealing, if only to be able to defend yourself against such attacks (my blood is my own!).

Air would be my second choice, flying around would be awesome unless.... You could make yourself your own cloud to fly you around with by controlling its moisture? :D A la dragon ball nimbus cloud? Yeah I think water all the way.

Earth has never been an element I like, too..."dirty" and I have no particular liking of being underground, but it's a strong, robust element as it should be ;)

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
Frankster said:
Rhymenoceros said:
for water there's just the woman who invented it and one of the main support characters who learn blood bending and the ability to control live animals and people through their blood.
Most if not all creatures on earth have their bodies made mostly out of water, so makes sense. Taking this to the next level, you could presumably boil a living creature's blood for messy results....

This only makes the water faction more appealing, if only to be able to defend yourself against such attacks (my blood is my own!).

Air would be my second choice, flying around would be awesome unless.... You could make yourself your own cloud to fly you around with by controlling its moisture? :D A la dragon ball nimbus cloud? Yeah I think water all the way.

Earth has never been an element I like, too..."dirty" and I have no particular liking of being underground, but it's a strong, robust element as it should be ;)
To be honest the idea of boiling someone's blood had never occurred to me, you have an impressively disturbed mind. I too have no particular liking of being buried underground, however I feel if you could sense what's around through the earth then that might change. I imagine it feeling safe and secure, like a cocoon. I don't think you's get dirty since you could just magic it all off you!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Rhymenoceros said:
To be honest the idea of boiling someone's blood had never occurred to me, you have an impressively disturbed mind. I too have no particular liking of being buried underground, however I feel if you could sense what's around through the earth then that might change. I imagine it feeling safe and secure, like a cocoon. I don't think you's get dirty since you could just magic it all off you!
My mind works on both extremes, on the more innocent side see the moisture controlled cloud idea for transportation ;)
Way I see it, if people can inflict harm on you in tough situations, they will, so you gotta be a step ahead and anticipate what's the worst they can do: in this case, blood boiling by someone who can manipulate the h2o in your body, and by extension your blood, which they can either control, freeze or heat up or heck...even drain :S

Air and Earth are the other nasty ones, fire mages could set you on fire instantaneously but you can counter this with the other elements since earth provides a shield on which fire can't burn, air dissipates flames and water is fires opposite. Air mages could potentially rip you inside out by forcing a massive concentration of winds, like a mini tornado right where you are standing, earth mages could crush/squash/swallow you if you are in proximity to anything earth like.

Cocoon like feel for being underground does fit if you're an Earth mage, but I'd rather be out in the open sky ^^ Earth is a great element that combines defence with raw power but too many aerial weakeness for me (you're powerless away from the ground) and i'm not one for getting my hands dirty xP I suppose you could have such a mastery of earth as to pull off any dirt molecules on you or prevent them from dirtying ya in the first place but still, i'd rather just clean it off with water made from the surrounding moisture and take a nice bath :)

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
Frankster said:
Rhymenoceros said:
My mind works on both extremes, on the more innocent side see the moisture controlled cloud idea for transportation ;)
Way I see it, if people can inflict harm on you in tough situations, they will, so you gotta be a step ahead and anticipate what's the worst they can do: in this case, blood boiling by someone who can manipulate the h2o in your body, and by extension your blood, which they can either control, freeze or heat up or heck...even drain :S

Air and Earth are the other nasty ones, fire mages could set you on fire instantaneously but you can counter this with the other elements since earth provides a shield on which fire can't burn, air dissipates flames and water is fires opposite. Air mages could potentially rip you inside out by forcing a massive concentration of winds, like a mini tornado right where you are standing, earth mages could crush/squash/swallow you if you are in proximity to anything earth like.

Cocoon like feel for being underground does fit if you're an Earth mage, but I'd rather be out in the open sky ^^ Earth is a great element that combines defence with raw power but too many aerial weakeness for me (you're powerless away from the ground) and i'm not one for getting my hands dirty xP I suppose you could have such a mastery of earth as to pull off any dirt molecules on you or prevent them from dirtying ya in the first place but still, i'd rather just clean it off with water made from the surrounding moisture and take a nice bath :)
You really thought that out, huh?
Well if you're the air mage you could also counteract the fire as it requires oxygen to burn, which an air mage could just remove, plus as well as ripping you apart they could similarly put you into a private vacuum, the change in pressure ripping you apart, or just remove the oxygen and replace it with CO2 causing them suffocate, a good torture method that one!

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
No no, you got the schools all wrong!
They should be:

Abjuration - Protective magic.
Conjuration - Summoning magic.
Divination - Detection magic.
Illusion - Illusionary (duh) magic.
Enchantment - Mind manipulation.
Invocation - Energy manipulation.
Necromancy - Life manipulation.
Transmutation - Physical manipulation.

I'm a proud nerd.

OT: Restoration. Forever young, anyone?

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
TheIronRuler said:
Hello escapists.
This announcement is brought to you by The Iron Ruler, a swell guy to befriend.
Now to the topic.
I've ben wondering about the various schools of magic, if you might try to box the concept of magic into various schools.
What i came up with are these -
1. Necromancy- You bring back the dead, make them do your bidding and trick a human queen in the process.
2. Destruction- Like incindiary rounds, but even more illegal, and doesn't require a weapon to fire.
3. Restoration- being a doctor with no real training, it's my dream coming true.
4. Telekenises - The ability to control objects via your mind, similar to vectors, charles Xavier and most importantly, you can use pens as high velocity projectiles, causing injury a la manhunt style.
5. Elementalism - basically Avatar (not the large blue men) but with robes. Actually, when you look at it that way, Avatar has magic - Elementalism.
6. Teleportation - Because backstabbing your opponent never ceases to amuse you.
7. Illusion - because being a gifted stage magician qualifies you for a free school year in Hogwartz. I wish they had made THAT movie instead of that other series.
* Lesbomancy - the ancient art passed down in a mysterious manner. Only seen in 'the witcher 2' but is a prominent member of the schools of magic and will expand as the years go by.
I advise you to do the following -
1. tell me of other schools of magic I forgot.
2. Choose which school of magic is preferable.
Only 2 of those are schools of magic: Necromancy, and Illusion. The schools of magic are not about how you implement the spells, they are about the common threads the spells share on a fundamental level. This is of course all extremely subjective, depending on what game or novel's system you are using.

Elementalism and most destructive spells fall under Evocation. The actual summoning of elementals falls under Conjuration. Restoration and healing spells fall under Conjuration, though they are important enough to hold up an entire school on their own. Teleportation is not even close to being its own school. Its pretty much just one spell, or "subschool" of spells if you want different teleportation spells with different ranges and such. These spells also fall under Conjuration. Telekinesis dominates the transmutation school. There are a lot of transmutation spells that do not involve telekineses though, so you cant call it the telekinesis school.

So, the schools of magic are:
Abjuration: protection
Conjuration: summoning, creation, teleportation, spells that cause physical damage
Divination: heightening senses, seeing into the past or future
Enchantment: manipulation of minds
Evocation: manipulation of the elements, elemental damage, magical light
Illusion: tricking the senses
Necromancy: manipulation of death, causing decay or enervation
Transmutation: changing the state of objects, telekinesis, disintegration

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Gamblerjoe said:
TheIronRuler said:
Only 2 of those are schools of magic: Necromancy, and Illusion. The schools of magic are not about how you implement the spells, they are about the common threads the spells share on a fundamental level. This is of course all extremely subjective, depending on what game or novel's system you are using.

Elementalism and most destructive spells fall under Evocation. The actual summoning of elementals falls under Conjuration. Restoration and healing spells fall under Conjuration, though they are important enough to hold up an entire school on their own. Teleportation is not even close to being its own school. Its pretty much just one spell, or "subschool" of spells if you want different teleportation spells with different ranges and such. These spells also fall under Conjuration. Telekinesis dominates the transmutation school. There are a lot of transmutation spells that do not involve telekineses though, so you cant call it the telekinesis school.

So, the schools of magic are:
Abjuration: protection
Conjuration: summoning, creation, teleportation, spells that cause physical damage
Divination: heightening senses, seeing into the past or future
Enchantment: manipulation of minds
Evocation: manipulation of the elements, elemental damage, magical light
Illusion: tricking the senses
Necromancy: manipulation of death, causing decay or enervation
Transmutation: changing the state of objects, telekinesis, disintegration
Woulf YOU like to start a similar thread just to be right?

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Mordekaien said:
Lactomancy.
Because nothing else sates the thirst for a good bottle of milk.
Do I see a 'misfits' reference here?

danirax said:
Necromancy can be fun
each time one of them dies we get stronger =P
there are some really powerful creatures that necromancers can call...
Like what? Humans? Warrior humans? Other mage humans?

Bugerion said:
Telekinesis or teleportation because you can rob banks with them
1.Restoration-I heal myself if guard shoots me all the time while with others if you get shoot you die
2.Teleportation-well obviouse safest way to roba bank
'Jumper' already got you covered with robbing banks.
lettucethesallad said:
I'd go with telekinesis. I'm lazy that way.
SonofaJohannes said:
Lesbomancy sounds very tempting, but I'm gonna go with teleportation. Seems like the most useful in my daily life. I'll never be late again!
GraveeKing said:
Teleportation quite happily. My life is done - nobody has to get hurt and every time I run out of money I simply teleport into a bank then teleport out with the dosh.
If someone threatens me I simply grab them - teleport myself and them 5000ft in the air then teleport myself back and watch the splat.
Everybody here is lazy... I expected much from a 'gamer' forum.

Nevergod

Feb 15, 2011
TheIronRuler said:
Mordekaien said:
Lactomancy.
[/quote]

Totally, or at least a very weird circumstance.

TheIronRuler said:
I wouldn't say everyone was lazy, it's just the simplest option in most cases, why bother creating an illusion of a beautiful woman to lure a man into your house, just so he can fetch you a drink? (If that's all you were going to do with it of course), and most people aren't terribly vengeful, If i wanted to kill someone using my telekinesis i'd probably systematically break every single one of their bones and then quite possibly throw them into low earth orbit, but a situation like that very rarely comes up, So people dont think about it often or in great detail.

And yes, Telekinesis/Teleporting might be a slightly mundane answer, but it's what you make of it isn't it? I imagine throwing fireballs is quite mundane, unless you decide to juggle with them, or start setting people's blood on fire, then it becomes spectacular.So yes, people can be lazy, but they can also be brilliant!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Destruction, because blowing shit up is fun.
My D&D mages are usually evokers for this very reason. Other players get nervous when I look at everyone's position during combat and start asking "You have a high save vs spells, right?"

danirax

Jan 11, 2011
TheIronRuler said:
Mordekaien said:
Lactomancy.

danirax said:
Necromancy can be fun
each time one of them dies we get stronger =P
there are some really powerful creatures that necromancers can call...
Like what? Humans? Warrior humans? Other mage humans?

Bugerion said:
Telekinesis or teleportation because you can rob banks with them
1.Restoration-I heal myself if guard shoots me all the time while with others if you get shoot you die
2.Teleportation-well obviouse safest way to roba bank
'Jumper' already got you covered with robbing banks.
lettucethesallad said:
I'd go with telekinesis. I'm lazy that way.
SonofaJohannes said:
Lesbomancy sounds very tempting, but I'm gonna go with teleportation. Seems like the most useful in my daily life. I'll never be late again!
GraveeKing said:
Teleportation quite happily. My life is done - nobody has to get hurt and every time I run out of money I simply teleport into a bank then teleport out with the dosh.
If someone threatens me I simply grab them - teleport myself and them 5000ft in the air then teleport myself back and watch the splat.
I was thinking more in the direction of
ghosts, vampires, zombies, elephants, banshees, bone horrors, leeches and horseman.

L1gh7Sp33d

Apr 15, 2009
Teleportation, absolutely, because it is the easiest one to use in the real world without being hunted for being a witch. No more commute, no more flights, no more driving to gamestop.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Ah, what a pity, I was hoping this would be about the Abbey of Thelema, at Cefalu.