Poll: Scotch

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
So, first of all let me say that those who are underage shouldn't drink and whatnot.

OK, with the PSA out of the way, who else among the Escapist are scotch drinkers? Aficionados? Or are you interested in enjoying this particular style of whiskey? If you're already a fan, do you have a favorite brand? Or a favorite region of <a href=http://www.scotlandwhisky.com/about/single-malt-scotch-whiskyregions>the 5 producing scotch regions?

Personally, I've tried a few brands and vintages of scotch. So far, and this is always subject to change pending new information, I am a huge fan of <a href=http://www.theglenlivet.com/agegateway?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.theglenlivet.com%2f>The Glenlivet. Preferably 18 year old or more. 12 is OK, but still a bit tougher to enjoy.

I'm no stranger to enjoying a spirit now and again. But scotch seems to be such a subjective thing with so many facets to the culture surrounding it. I'm still a novice at best, but eagerly I try to sample a new brand or vintage at any given opportunity. I've learned that scotch has quite a subculture surrounding it. And I hope I can one day join the ranks of the seasoned veterans.

:)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nope, don't like it, never did, burns my throat. I like colorful, sissy lady-er drinks. Bonus if it's cold and fizzy.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Never been a huge scotch fan. I know a lot of people who do drink it but I would much rather stick with a nice cool beer or a shot of rum. Most scotches are just too smokey and heavy for me to really get into them.

I'll probably never be one of the cool guys sitting in a suit on the roof of a building after a hard day's work with a cigar in one hand and a scotch in the other. I'll have to blaze my own trail, I suppose.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Actually, I had to stop drinking because of high blood pressure.

Having said that I've only drunk cheap stuff. I've always heard of the near-legendary Glenlivet and may try it but I won't make any promises.

In truth I was always the type who didn't care for the taste of alcohol (except Zimas which are now non-existent but which tasted to me like Sprite).

I suggest you ask [user]T0ad 0f Truth[/user] who recently spent several months exploring the realities of inebriation while studying...um...something...in Germany. If nothing else he may have decent hearsay info for you.

Oy!!! T0ad!!! Represent!!!!

T0ad 0f Truth said:
I know ALL ABOUT hangovers...you puny, mere mortals!!!
What say you? ^_^

Fatboy_41

Jan 16, 2012
While I do very much enjoy high end, quality single malts, they're still inferior to good Irish whiskey. Triple distilled for the win.

If you get the chance, try Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve. Quite simply the most gloriously smooth whiskey I've ever had. It ain't cheap, but treat yourself before it's all gone.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Fatboy_41 said:
While I do very much enjoy high end, quality single malts, they're still inferior to good Irish whiskey. Triple distilled for the win.

If you get the chance, try Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve. Quite simply the most gloriously smooth whiskey I've ever had. It ain't cheap, but treat yourself before it's all gone.
I'll do that. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
I am a big time scotch fan. Bit of a single malt snob but I do enjoy the occasional blend. My favourite so far is Cragganmore. Haven't had many older whiskys yet, oldest is my 15yo Glenlivet which is quite fantastic too. I do enjoy some strong peaty bastards but as I am coming into summer, I will be easing off for some of the lighter drinks. I have all my singles the same, neat with no ice.

Fatboy_41

Jan 16, 2012
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I'll do that. Thanks for the recommendation. :)
And on that note, go and do an organised tasting. Most good bars will organise something at some point. My local just recently did a Jameson night with the Southern Hemisphere rep for Jameson, and a Scotch night with a guy who's ambition is to be the world ambassador for Johnnie Walker. They're great nights. The host will teach you about each drink, as well as the regions they cone from and history behind it all. Plus, more often than not each drink will be paired with some food to compliment it. Scotch and Haggis is awesome, as is Jameson Gold and Black Pudding. :D

But the biggest piece of advice I can give is this... Don't let anyone ever tell you you're drinking your Scotch wrong. There are plenty of uptight arseholes around who will try to tell you best is the only way, and that you're ruining the drink by adding water. Ignore them all. If you want to mix it with coke, do it. Ginger ale? Awesome. Chocolate milk? Sure thing. I personally love some Scotches with a few drops of water and other I can't drink unless mixed with something.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I don't care for Scotch or any Whiskey - in order to drink them I must mix them. And, in the case of a finer scotch or whiskey or bourbon (given they're all essentially the same), it seems like a crime.

By contrast, I adore a great many examples of Brandy which I exclusively drink neat.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
In small amounts, yes. I always add a small amount of water too. I've always been told it enhances the flavour so I took up that habit of doing it.

Werekettle

Apr 17, 2010
Oh shit yeah! Massive fan of Scotch (massive fan of Whiskey in general). Don't know that I have a favorite, I am generally a fan of the Single Malts but some blends are awesome too. Although these days given I've got multiple mortgages, a wife and a kid, my budget tends toward the cheap side of things :-( I find Monkey Shoulder decent bang for buck - not awesome by any stretch but decent for folks on a budget :)

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
I won't touch any scotch younger than 12 years.

I generally try it neat, then decide whether or not to add 2 drops of water.

Lusty

Dec 12, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Or are you interested in enjoying this particular brand of bourbon?
Pedantic I know, but scotch != bourbon.

OT - Yes I like my scotch but it doesn't like me! I prefer the smokey taste you get from the Islay malts - Laguvalin is my favourite.

I echo the recommendation to go to a tasting if you get the chance, it's amazing how different they can all taste and good to learn what you like. Also lets not write off the blends, I'd put Johnny Walker blue up against any of the single malts.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I enjoy Glenfiddich (18 years, mostly) a lot, as well as the Japanese whiskeys Yamakazi (only tried the 12 years) and Nikka (15 & 21 years). For cheap whiskey, I like the Black Label well enough. As for more smoky whiskey, I usually chose the Ardbeg, it has a looooot of depth. The Bowmore, not so much.

ToxicPiranah

Nov 5, 2009
My in-laws brought me a bottle of Highland Park 12 year for my birthday this year and I'd say it's easily my favorite whiskey at the moment. It's a very nice single malt, its smokey with a bit of sweetness. I'm also a fan of the Balvenie single barrel. I've never been a real fan of the Irish whiskeys though, I find them a bit too.... jarring in their taste.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
as long as it is not to cheap. Which is a problem because I'm not in any position to do big spending at the moment. So it's reserved for special occasions

Fatboy_41

Jan 16, 2012
BoredAussieGamer said:
I won't touch any scotch younger than 12 years.

I generally try it neat, then decide whether or not to add 2 drops of water.
May I ask, why don't you touch anything younger than 12 years? I've had some horrible Scotches older than 12 years and some amazing ones as young as 5.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I haven't quite warmed up to it yet. The taste of the wood from the aging barrel doesn't quite agree with me. I've eaten and drank a few things over the years that were acquired tastes and I figure this is little different.