Poll: Scottish independence - yay or nay?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
We Irish know what it's like having independence, and my opinion on that matter is:

Take us back England. No one has a fucking clue what to do here.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
Yes, assuming it sets itself up with appropriate infrastructure, both governmental and otherwise.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Mandalore_15 said:
I consider myself to be quite patriotic in some ways (although not in a blind, idiotic way like citizens of SOME countries we could mention...)
Oh yeah. Even now, I'm astounded at the things my mom will gain a sudden interest in just because one person who is 25% Korean is involved... (I am not joking. She admitted this.)

(I know which country you really mean, but still...)

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Its seems ridiculous to me that people are still trying to cause more seperation, culture is interesting and all that but its what makes people from our own planet seem so alien at times. Further seperation isnt going to bring anyone closer to peace.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Quebec in Canada springs to mind. The difference being that the separatist movement has COLLAPSED in the recent years.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
SNP have made it pretty clear in the last few years that a sudden and immediate independence isn't what they want. They want independent, but it to be achieved slowly over time so that when it comes, Scotland will be able to be self-sufficient (which it currently financially isn't).
Personally I'm more for further autonomy rather than independence; breaking apart "healthy" a country doesn't sound like a good idea, especially when there are a lot of weird people who want to readjust the border (anyone heard of the Scottish Jacobite Party? They want Berwick and Cumbria; I mean, come on, Cumbria hasn't been Scottish-ruled for well over 1,000 years and even then it wasn't by Scotland itself.) Besides, wasn't the SNP's success partly due to the unpopularity of Labour, Liberals and Conservatives? I mean;
Labour messed up the country according to those on the Right; that and a lot of people didn't liked Gordon Brown and his cabinet. I definitely don't think Ed should have taken the helm; I can't take him seriously since the Times started depicting him as Wallace since he became leader of the Labour Party. I guess he's what the trade unionists wanted though.
Liberal Democrats are seen as sell-outs for forming a coalition with the Conservatives and then getting very little their own way.
and Conservatives are seen as being all elitist and such by the Left.

SNP is kinda a protest vote from where I see it; Salmond really needs to prove he's the man for the job and SNP is the party for parliament now he has the chance to fully do so; I can't say I was particularly unhappy about anything they did in the last parliament, so we'll have to see I guess.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Canid117 said:
Mandalore_15 said:
Canid117 said:
Mandalore_15 said:
Canid117 said:
Mandalore_15 said:
I consider myself to be quite patriotic in some ways (although not in a blind, idiotic way like citizens of SOME countries we could mention...
Oh gee I wonder what country he could possibly be talking out of his ass about.
Hey, prove me wrong buddy. Besides, if you've got no interest in the UK, why are you even on this thread?
Because if you guys can come on every thread about the united states and call us a bunch of ignorant fucks then I can come on here and take issue with your passive aggressive jabs.
You don't even have any proof I was talking about the US. There are plenty of other countries that would also fit the description, so you're basically making a assumption based on your own views of America...
No I am making an assumption based on the dominant opinion of my country that the citizens of the Commonwealth countries seem to have on these boards. If you were not talking about the United States then who were you talking about because we seem to have a worse reputation here than Oliver Cromwell.
Android2137 said:
Mandalore_15 said:
I consider myself to be quite patriotic in some ways (although not in a blind, idiotic way like citizens of SOME countries we could mention...)
Oh yeah. Even now, I'm astounded at the things my mom will gain a sudden interest in just because one person who is 25% Korean is involved... (I am not joking. She admitted this.)

(I know which country you really mean, but still...)
OK guys, you need to not jump to conclusions. I almost wish I hadn't written that now. There are plenty of countries that fit that bill. Try:

Russia
Switzerland
Korea (as Android2137 mentioned)
The Czech Republic
Belgium, although it is split into two sides (the French side and Flanders)

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
The economies for both the rest of the UK and Scotland would be devasted. if it was a more gradual process to help both sides get economic independence from eachother then i have no problem with the scottish leaving if they so wish, but right now it would be a horrible idea

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
wasn't there some film recently, where England put a wall up around Scotland and everyone inside turned into violent punk cannibals?

Or something like that.

I remember the irony of when Gordon brown got rightly elected as PM, and he was at risk of being forced to sit out of British parliament due to the fact he was Scottish.

You're welcome to you're freedom, I wont hold issue with it. it wont get you far in this day and age, mind.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Me55enger said:
wasn't there some film recently, where England put a wall up around Scotland and everyone inside turned into violent punk cannibals?

Or something like that.

I remember the irony of when Gordon brown got rightly elected as PM, and he was at risk of being forced to sit out of British parliament due to the fact he was Scottish.

You're welcome to you're freedom, I wont hold issue with it. it wont get you far in this day and age, mind.
I remember seeing a film a couple of years ago, with Malcolm McDowell - kinda like a zombie, mad max thing where I think Scotland was quaranteened after a virus outbreak, it was terrible. Doomsday is the film I'm thinking about, other than that I've no idea.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
More devolution before independence. I honestly don' know whether or not we could survive on our own right at this moment, as Westminster still controls a significant role in Scottish policies.

In an ideal world where you don't have to worry about money and stability, I'd love to be independent. But The world isn't and we can't, IMO.

It'll be interesting to see how the next general election turns out though, that could have a big impact on the argument, seeing as Scotland is pretty much responsible for all Labour and Lib Dem MPs in Westminster.

TL;DR, it's a pipe dream for now, I'm afraid.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
If they can manage to stay alive with their own economy, why not?
Otherwise it would be just stupid.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Literally all of the UK's economy depends on London and frankly if London became a separate state everywhere else would be reasonably fucked regardless and the same goes for anywhere that separates from it. Scotland should remain part of the UK because it'd be a world of pain to separate and Scotland is very much dependent on a lot of English money for all sorts. Scotland has little to gain from separating except for the concept of independence which is ultimately worthless. The idea that Scotland suffers at all being part of the UK is nonsense. Being half Scottish and half English I have zero desire for their separation because frankly, we're better together.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Mandalore_15 said:
I think it would really knacker Scotland's economy!
I agree. I'm all for Scottish independence (as an Englander) so that my country won't have to keep throwing all its public services and tax money up Scotland's way. Without the continual CPR of the London economy, Scotland and Wales would go down the tubes. Sadly, neither country produces much that's desirable, and the things they historically produced (especially metals) can be produced far, far more cheaply by other nations. Without London's tertiary sector industry continuously siphoning its taxes off to other parts of the UK, England would be the only remaining G20 UK nation (okay, so that's a bit hyperbolic). Economically, this is as stupid an idea as saying that my house should declare independence from the UK. Unless the SNP is expecting England to continue to fund Scotland, despite it no longer be affiliated, then I really don't know what their endgame is.

However, if Scotland is aware of these facts and still wants independence for political reasons then that's entirely its business. It'll be single-handedly destroying a symbol of unification against fascism, the ability of a small united land to conquer more of the globe than any other nation in history and the ability of a community to come together despite its long-standing animosities, but the choice is ultimately its own. We have no right to tell the Scottish people that they mayn't do this, but it'd be a damn foolish thing to do.

Exterminas said:
If they can manage to stay alive with their own economy, why not?
Otherwise it would be just stupid.
Precisely. The problem is that they can't.

Know why the Scots pay nothing for their university and Englanders pay £9k per year? English handouts. This is just one of the many, many ways that England has been keeping Scotland and Wales afloat for the past few decades.

sseh2661

Feb 19, 2011
well i don't know much about the Scottish economy or infrastructure but maybe if Scotland can become independent perhaps Australia can follow there lead and do the same. I don't mean to offend any britts here but really, Britain doesn't seem do fuck all to help Australia anymore. and vice versa.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Jesus Christ, it's YEA or nay. YEA, not YAY. "Yay" is what you say when happy and excited. "Yea" is a statement of confirmation if you are a seventeenth century Englishman. I apologize for being a grammar nazi but there have been five threads in the past week that all had "Yay or Nay" in the title.

As for the OP, well, I'm not a Scot. So my opinion's pretty much invalid. But it sounds like it's not that huge of an issue. I'm pretty sure that if the UK's going to be ceding territory they should probably give Belfast back to the Irish. *ducks*