Poll: Scottish independence - yay or nay?

Cpl.Flint

Mar 2, 2011
Octorok said:
Why destroy that? I'm far more proud of EVERYTHING we did as the United Kingdom than the Scots ever did. The UK created radar, penicillin and just about everything that used steampower.

Scots invented.... Hm.... Ah.... Thistles?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

Get your facts right before you say the Scots didn't invent anything. If it weren't for us your milk would be going off and you'd be shitting in a bucket.

From a discussion I had on this topic with someone who was studying it, I found that it could be quite possible for Scotland to be a prosperous and viable country by itself, but only if its done right.

The discussion I had (with me opposing a split) I discovered that apparently majority of the money that Britain has to spend actually comes from Scotland income. Everything we make is sent down to Westminster then we are sent back up our share of it. A split would mean Scotland would get all the money we make, while down south won't get any of it. So at this point, it would very possible for down south to collapse before us if they lose our money. To me this makes sense. Why else would David Cameron be so against a split to the point were he's saying "I will do all I can to keep us united"?

The only thing that really stands in the way of us being strong after the split is if we are able to absorb the cost of setting up services that we'll lose from down south. We'll need a health care system, military, etc. Once this initial cost is out the way and we haven't collapsed, we could very easily survive on our own.

Whether this is successful or not is down to our government. They need to ensure 110% that they won't be over spending on services to setup. They need to make sure their numbers are accurate and with room for budget increases. One hiccup could ruin us.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Cpl.Flint said:
Octorok said:
Why destroy that? I'm far more proud of EVERYTHING we did as the United Kingdom than the Scots ever did. The UK created radar, penicillin and just about everything that used steampower.

LOL, the Scots invented Radar, Penicillin, the Steam Engine... Do I need to go on?, you moron? - Read cpl.flints link then consider again why Scotland might not want to be associated with people like you. The modern world owes a great deal to the inventiveness of the Scots, nobody who should be taken seriously ever denies that.

The bottom line, is that Britain is a joke. We have some of the highest taxation, fuel prices, and some of the worst health records in Europe. Something needs to change, but its Britains problem, by that I mean everyone in the UK, whatever race box they tick.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I'd say stick with devolution. Let Scotland use their own laws and spend their own money on what they want, but lets not break up the nation. There will probably be too fighting over it anyway.

I thought everything was going ok to be honest, things are stable, the laws are secure, the resources are fine. Sometmes it just feels to me that Alex Salmond is trying to secure a little legacy for himself and hopefully have a grand painting of him done with his arm around Robert the Bruce looking like they've just shared a really good joke.

Nick Clegg recently tried that move, didnt turn out too well for him in the end.

StANDY1338

Sep 25, 2006
I dispute that we get the cushy side of funding. If this was so why would alex sammond welcome a change to the barnett formula that has been critisised?

Some parts of Scotland have a disparagy of 13 years in comparison to those in England.
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1322014/UK-North-South-life-expectancy-divide-increases-13-years.html

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
Well it would be a way to seperate themselves from the huge debt the UK have been incurring lately. People who dont want the UK economy to drag them down with it would find this appealing.

g_hughes

Aug 22, 2010
I'd liked to have given the answer 'Yes, it's about time we kicked them out'
Honestly, I don't care what they do. If they want seperation fine.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Cpl.Flint said:
Octorok said:

Get your facts right before you say the Scots didn't invent anything. If it weren't for us your milk would be going off and you'd be shitting in a bucket.
Get your facts right. I'm actually Scottish, so my milk would be fine, and look at that list. Really look.

All of our inventors were born after our union with England (well, nearly all. I can see a number so small, I can count it with my fingers). Scotland was never going anywhere until we all united and started getting shit done.

The clue's in the name - without all those Scottish-born inventors, the world (and England) would have missed out on a lot of things we did.

On the other, England paid for all of our practical inventions and their applications.

I'll say it again, just for emphasis - since it's impractical, it comes down to heritage. And I'm far more proud of what my people did United, than what we did Divided.

surg3n said:
Cpl.Flint said:
Octorok said:

LOL, the Scots invented Radar, Penicillin, the Steam Engine... Do I need to go on?, you moron? - Read cpl.flints link then consider again why Scotland might not want to be associated with people like you. The modern world owes a great deal to the inventiveness of the Scots, nobody who should be taken seriously ever denies that.
Read what I actually said, then go punch yourself in the face. I can certainly see why England would want to not associate with us when people like you are standing around insulting people, too busy waving the flag to actually pay attention.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Mandalore_15 said:
Canid117 said:
Mandalore_15 said:
Canid117 said:
Mandalore_15 said:
I consider myself to be quite patriotic in some ways (although not in a blind, idiotic way like citizens of SOME countries we could mention...
Oh gee I wonder what country he could possibly be talking out of his ass about.
Hey, prove me wrong buddy. Besides, if you've got no interest in the UK, why are you even on this thread?
Because if you guys can come on every thread about the united states and call us a bunch of ignorant fucks then I can come on here and take issue with your passive aggressive jabs.
You don't even have any proof I was talking about the US. There are plenty of other countries that would also fit the description, so you're basically making a assumption based on your own views of America...
No I am making an assumption based on the dominant opinion of my country that the citizens of the Commonwealth countries seem to have on these boards. If you were not talking about the United States then who were you talking about because we seem to have a worse reputation here than Oliver Cromwell.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Octorok said:
Cpl.Flint said:
Octorok said:

Get your facts right. I'm actually Scottish, so my milk would be fine, and look at that list. Really look.

All of our inventors were born after our union with England (well, nearly all. I can see a number so small, I can count it with my fingers). Scotland was never going anywhere until we all united and started getting shit done.

The clue's in the name - without all those Scottish-born inventors, the world (and England) would have missed out on a lot of things we did.

On the other, England paid for all of our practical inventions and their applications.

I'll say it again, just for emphasis - since it's impractical, it comes down to heritage. And I'm far more proud of what my people did United, than what we did Divided.

surg3n said:
Cpl.Flint said:
Octorok said:

Read what I actually said, then go punch yourself in the face. I can certainly see why England would want to not associate with us when people like you are standing around insulting people, too busy waving the flag to actually pay attention.
To be fair, I did just skim over that - in fact I couldn't find your original post, just the part quoted by Cpl.Flint.
I honestly thought you were claiming those as British inventions - you are, but that's not the point. Anyway, my appologies, that Thistles thing threw me a bit and I assumed you were being arrogant.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
surg3n said:
To be fair, I did just skim over that - in fact I couldn't find your original post, just the part quoted by Cpl.Flint.
I honestly thought you were claiming those as British inventions - you are, but that's not the point. Anyway, my appologies, that Thistles thing threw me a bit and I assumed you were being arrogant.
Huh. That was faster and significantly nicer than I'm accustomed to. I think it's a bit awful that the internet has conditioned me to the point where nice people actually surprise me.

Glad we're straight now.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Well this is basically what happens: when it's convenient to them, the Scottish like to fall under the banner of the United Kingdom, usually in terms of economy etc. But culturally, they Scottish hate the English, Welsh and Irish, and are oh so eager to constantly shout about the fact that they're 100% Scottish born and bred until your ears bleed. So basically, I say let them have their independence, let their economy collapse (because no amount of whiskey and spirit export can singly sustain a country), and then assimilate them back a little more humble.