Poll: Series that deliver consistently good titles

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
With some of the titles lately that seem to flop and/or betray the standards of the series' predecessors, It has made me think. What series do you think have, for the most part, delivered consistently quality titles that continue to entertain you since the beginning of the series?

As someone who subsists almost solely off of JRPGs, an easy pick for me would have to be the Tales series. Although the titles don't exactly push gaming to the limits of characters, story-telling or graphics, I have always thoroughly enjoyed every Tales game that I have played, without fail. Out of all the titles released, the only two I can think of that people might consider bad would have to be Tales of Legendia, and from what I have heard, Tales of the Tempest, both of which were made by different studios than which ever one made the main titles if I remember correctly. And even then, I don't consider them bad, just below the series standards in some ways, particularly in graphics and game play.

Also, the Disgaea series. I have played most of them, and none of them have disappointed me in the slightest either.

So, what series do you think deliver the most consistently good titles? Oh, and also, which do you prefer: Heavily innovated titles that run the risk of repeatedly flopping, but hold the promise of a great new memorable title, or consistently good titles with slightly less notable changes, that may risk becoming boring if you are looking for something new and different?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I honestly can't think of a bad Kirby game to be honest. Sure, some weren't as good as others, but overall, I really can't say that any of the Kirby games I've played have been less than good. Hell, even some of the spin off games like Kirby's Air Ride were enjoyable.

Also, Metal Gear Solid. YES, even 2.

EDIT: As for whether I prefer innovative games or games that play it safe?

It depends on the game, I really love games like Valkyria Chronicles which implement interesting and creative game play mechanics. Although some games, like Mirror's Edge, I feel flounder in the execution.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
it happens...sooner or later the series will go downhill, people shouldnt act so surprised

hence why they need to give more respect to good well rounded endings

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Vault101 said:
it happens...sooner or later the series will go downhill, people shouldnt act so surprised

Yeah, like the ending of the Infamous games.

Now, that was how to end a seriOH WAIT!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I don't look for this anymore.
It's gotten a bit harder to find in the first place, and sooner or later you're going to feel let down or betrayed no matter how godtier you believe a developer to be.
It's a setup for disappointment.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
piinyouri said:
It's gotten a bit harder to find in the first place, and sooner or later you're going to feel let down or betrayed no matter how godtier you believe a developer to be.
This was a part of the reason why I felt to ask about this, as I hear about it a lot when it comes to games I have little to no interest in, but when it comes to games that I like, I cannot recall any series that drove themselves into the ground with repeated failures and/or and overall decline in quality. I guess I am lucky in that sense, but it might be all the more crushing if that finally happens with a series that I care about!
Vault101 said:

While I agree that it would be unlikely for a series to continue to be good forever, I do think that some series have more potential to stay good longer than other series. Series that are bound to the same base story are probably going to go bad faster than series that are really only connected through name, but are completely self-contained games. I do agree that a good ending should be sought after, and would be preferable to poor sequels though.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
There really hasn't been a bad Halo game.

The worst I believe was Halo Wars and while that one was the most hated it wasn't necessarily bad. People actually STILL play it to this day.

In reality, they are quite quality in terms of their creation. I can't think of one bad game that Halo has, well, existed.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
The summon knight series, when I played it a long long time ago they never failed to disappoint.
Except 3, but that's because it was never given an English release, broke my heart that did.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
Yeah, like the ending of the Infamous games.

Now, that was how to end a seriOH WAIT!
or Mass Effect...what an awsome well rounded satisfying ending that was if they really wanted they could continue- OH WAIT NO, EVERYTHING IS FUCKED

but then when it comes to Mass Effect they dont need to continue on just expand that shit! stuff a hose into that dead cow and fill it with even more methane gas untill it explodes in a rotted mush!

.....hmmmm I'm a bit more cynical than usual today

OT: to expand on what I said earlyer theres no reason most series cant remain good...the ones that remain good and the ones with more freedom...like Fallout

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
DeltaEdge said:
piinyouri said:
This was a part of the reason why I felt to ask about this, as I hear about it a lot when it comes to games I have little to no interest in, but when it comes to games that I like, I cannot recall any series that drove themselves into the ground with repeated failures and/or and overall decline in quality. I guess I am lucky in that sense, but it might be all the more crushing if that finally happens with a series that I care about!
And I hope it continues to go well for you.
I remember seeing a few series kind of dive bomb years and years ago but always being happy to think and remember "So glad Square makes consistently great games" which once they faltered changed to Bethesda, which while their games are still fun for sure, they just don't occupy the same high pedestal in my mind.

I think I may have had a few other companies I worshiped for a bit, but those two were the big ones.

AVeryClassyCat

Feb 24, 2013
I've really enjoyed the Hitman series, though I'm currently playing through Absolution so who knows whether that mindset will change soon or not.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
Gears of War hasn't had a bad game IMO. Granted, I haven't played Judgement yet, so verdict is still out on that one. The Batman Arkham games are great too.

Feb 27, 2013
Since a few of the top ones have already been said, and i do agree on those, ill bring up an oldie. The Age of Empire games, from my half dodgy memory i do not recollect a bad game out of the lot, there were definitely different ones but non you could consider really... bad.

That being said i will reiterate the Batman Arkham games as someone said, very consistent in its quality, but i guess this could change pending on the release of the next one this year, we will have to wait and see.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
You know what, I'm probably gonna cop some flak for saying it, but fuck it. The Mass Effect series. Three consistently good games that I have replayed numerous times. There we are. I am now gonna go hide inside my bunker.

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
LongAndShort said:
You know what, I'm probably gonna cop some flak for saying it, but fuck it. The Mass Effect series. Three consistently good games that I have replayed numerous times. There we are. I am now gonna go hide inside my bunker.
Can I join you? Whatever people think of the endings all 3 were still damn good games from where I'm standing. Also going to put my vote for the witcher series (2 games is enough to count right?).

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
The Sly Cooper games are all great, I haven't played 4 yet because Europe but I hear good things.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
Warcraft hasn't had a bad game. Say what you will about WoW, only an idiot would claim it isn't good.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Most of these series are two or three games in length.
I'll agree with some of them and add my own answer. The Total War series.