Poll: Shooter Weapon types

Oct 10, 2011
Hello escapists,(specifically shooter fans)is there a specific weapon type you tend to use in most games? Now, I know that most games apply the weapon types differently, but most everyone I know prefer to use similar weapons in different games. So, what is your preferred weapon type if you have one, and why?(use examples from specific games if you want)

I'll start us off: Pistols. Specifically revolvers, but repeater pistols too. I friggin love 'em. "Why", you might ask,"would you WANT to use a weapon that is meant to be a sidearm". Reason: They may not have the best accuracy, and certainly not the best damage, but they are lightweight,(which could be faster move speed in some games or faster ability speed in others), fast reload, and are the easiest for me to aim. I swear in every game I can snipe better with a pistol than with a sniper rifle. Also for one more reason: I feel like a badass when I use a pistol, bonus badassery for using two pistols.

Your turn!

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Shotguns. I don't think I really have to explain why. And, if they have them, which very very few shooters have these days: chaingun. Especially the type that you had in unreal tournament for instance.

Which is one of the reasons, though a minor one, why I don't play modern military shooters. They don't have portable chainguns or shotguns. They have assault rifles that all feel the same, sub machine guns that all feel the same, pistols that all feel the same and sniper rifles that all feel the same.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I voted Sniper Rifles, with shotguns being a very very close second. The exception to this is in multiplayer, in which I usually prefer automatic weapons, due to single shots sometimes missing due to a slight lag.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
I like unconventional weapons.

Like:
Gravity Gun (Half Life 2)
Javelin Spear Gun (Dead Space 2)
Shock Rifle (Unreal Tournament)
Reegar Carbine (Mass Effect 3)

The whackier the better. I find modern weapons to be a bit dull in the variety department.

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
I love melee. Don't know why because I'm best with a good single shot rifle. I ran knife only back in CoD 4, before they added the infinite sprint, instant stab, lung attack crap. In my day you had to touch the guy before you could put your knife in him.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
It really depends on the game. In the Borderlands games, I find I lean more towards Sniper Rifles and SMGs. In New Vegas, I used pistols most often. Left 4 Dead, it was shotguns or bust.

In general, it's all about how the mechanics feel. Some weapons in some games feel better than others. In Borderlands, for example, the only guns I could really get a feel for mechanically were usually sniper rifles.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Snipers, very satisfying and I like outwitting my opponents as opposed to outgunning them, which is pretty much what the sniper does. Kill your targets whilst they have no idea where you are. I tend to fumble in closer encounters so keeping as much distance as possible helps me out.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Any game in which there's an M14 or anything like it (Mattock and Saber in ME3, I'm looking at you), I can dominate with it.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Bolt-action rifles in general. I'm not 100% sure why, but I just love using them. Hell, I run recon in BF3 with a scopeless bolt action sniper rifle most of the time.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I really have a thing for explosions, so that's where I tend to go. I usually end up using an assault rifle if I want to do good, though.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Almost went for explosives because I really do love me some explosions, and I also enjoy haveing to lead the opponents a bit with an RPG and the associated splash damage, but in the interests of honesty I picked shotgun.

But had there been 1. Incendiaries or 2. Blade-firing weapons, I'd have gone with those.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I love to go with a melee weapon. And I come out top!

But I truly love when I pull out an energy sword in any Halo and I zip around cutting people down with the charge attack and see their friends run away with pure terror.

My second favorite is probably the shotgun...still up close and personal.

Out of all of them I love the katana or any kind of sword. ^.^

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
JEBWrench said:
It really depends on the game. In the Borderlands games, I find I lean more towards Sniper Rifles and SMGs. In New Vegas, I used pistols most often. Left 4 Dead, it was shotguns or bust.

In general, it's all about how the mechanics feel. Some weapons in some games feel better than others. In Borderlands, for example, the only guns I could really get a feel for mechanically were usually sniper rifles.
That describes me almost perfectly, including my specific weapon choices in those games. I have historically had a bit of a preference for slightly wider effect/splash damage weapons though, like the rocket launcher in Q3 and TF2, the flak cannon in UT, and shotguns in general. That might just be because those games are fast and I prioritize doing damage sooner over wasting time on aiming and getting killed in the meantime though. Heh. I'm perfectly happy with a sniper rifle or a melee weapon or whatever else if that's what feels right to me in that game.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Shotguns. I mean, I am Texan.

But, stereotypes aside, there's just something... Magical about a good, well-balanced shotgun in a game. Not too powerful, but definitely formidable at close to even hopefully medium range. Modern Military Shooters, though, never seem to get them right. Personally, I think Halo has one of the best shotguns, regardless of which one, in bigger-name FPS.

But, behind shotguns, snipers. Even though I'm usually garbage with them, there's a savage satisfaction about making a nice headshot on someone from afar, and watching their body ragdoll... Ah, good times.

Still, its not as satisfying as a headshot with a shotgun. Now that, my friends, is 'Shotgun Rain'.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
In any other game I'm all about the snipers, but on Halo (the only FPS I play somewhat regularly), most of my kills tend to be melee. Not hammers or swords, just good ol' rifle butt applied to face. I have no idea how I survived the times before sprint and camo.