Poll: Shooter Weapon types

Ganath

Jan 24, 2011
Other, since there's no option for LMGs or HMGs. They're by far my favourite weapons. I enjoy laying down suppressive fire or just mowing down enemies with uninterrupted sprays of bullets. Move speed is nothing to me when I can just set myself up in a killzone and spray down enemies with semi accurate bursts of fire.

ManOwaRrior

Apr 12, 2011
I find the lack of lasers and plasma guns disturbing...
You know, guns that are *not* real. The Ripper from UT. The shock rifle. The BFG. Guns that make things explode in colorful bursts of energy.
Oh, and of course rocket launchers. The ones that let me rocket jump.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
shotguns, they are amazing in DOOM, the Halo shotgun was fun and in RE games the shotgun kicks all the arse. Except in TF2 where I will choose the situationaly best class and weapons.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
SMG and knife combo. Favorite gun would be the SCAR because it looks freakin' badass and has great accuracy. The gun in MGO that was based on the SCAR was the only one I'd use. Developers can't seem to make up their minds whether it's an assault rifle or SMG though.

I'm all about speed and stealth in shooters, so having a weapon that's lightweight with a short barrel is my friend. Shame that they're more likely to kill you then your enemy in the recent COD games.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
My favourite straight up, revolvers. They have a certain finesse, and an elegant practicality. They do the job, blowing a hole through a person's skull or just intimidating them. If you want a gunfight over in a flash, use a revolver. Not much for ridiculous oversized revolvers though, they defeat the point. For the same reason I hate deagles.

I also like tactical shotguns (with a tight spread and good range) to clear paths and blast monsters. And shotguns in general do the job.

Submachine guns are great too. More portable than assault rifles, generally better for close-quarters combat.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
Shotguns, there's something so cathartic about one shot punching straight through someone at point-blank range and watching the bits fly.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
sniper rifles
in the words of Caleb
"Sniper rifles, for when you wanna touch someone, like, blow their heads off"

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I voted for SMG's, because they are my favorite, but what the hell is this "spray and pray"? You know you can AIM with an SMG. Every time I've seen someone spray and pray it was with a machine gun (M60) or even an assault rifle.

As for real life, I definitely prefer my AK-47 to my SMG (pretty much a MP5 clone). More accurate and has yet to ever jam.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
ocelot0222222 said:
SMG and knife combo. Favorite gun would be the SCAR because it looks freakin' badass and has great accuracy. The gun in MGO that was based on the SCAR was the only one I'd use. Developers can't seem to make up their minds whether it's an assault rifle or SMG though.

I'm all about speed and stealth in shooters, so having a weapon that's lightweight with a short barrel is my friend. Shame that they're more likely to kill you then your enemy in the recent COD games.
A SCAR is an assault rifle, dunno who would think it is an SMG.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010

Shark Gun.

It. Shoots. Sharks.

That should be enough for you to see why this weapon is the most awesome.

So yes, I like unconventional weapons, and I'm big fan of low tech weapons, like crossbows and Bows in shooters.
And I liked the weapons found in Clive Barker's Undying for example. There was an Ice spitting Dragon.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
The Salty Vulcan said:
I tend to go for the assault rifles and the explosives. Its a good balance of precision and damage.
I completely agree. While I would prefer to just run around with a bunch of explosive weapons, they're generally in short supply in most shooters so a decent assault rifle or LMG will often get the job done just as well.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I tend to go towards Assault Rifles, usually with some kind of scope on them to make them easier to use at longer ranges (if the option is available)
I think my favourite Assault Rifle is probably the M4A1 from Call of Duty Modern Warfare, I was sad when I felt like I 'had' to switch to the AK47 just because it was all gold and shiny.

Special mention goes to the Link Gun from Unreal Tournament, that seemed like an assault rifle to me.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Snipers or shotguns, when you fight me there is no such thing as mid range.

I also melee alot but thats mostly me trying to conserve ammo or trying to kill someone after I unloaded my shotgun and don't have time to reload.

ooooo if there is a crossbow in the game, I will use it.

If you wanna look at weird fake guns then it gets interesting....

How about that gun from one of the early N64 turok games that latched onto an enemies skull, drilled into their brain and then exploded? Most needlessly sadistic/horrible/gruesome gun ever made.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I've gotta agree with you on the pistols. Especially revolvers. In most games you can get a lot of ammo for your pistol, and it usually has some decent damage. That, and the pistols' firing speed make it pretty good as long as you know how to aim.

Plus old-school revolvers just look sweet!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I personally like to pack a sniper rifle and then something like an M93R or G18 for closer quarters in Battlefield 3. Bad Company 2 it's a sniper with a revolver or an assault rifle with an m9.

COD? Assault rifle and a lock on launcher at all times.

Killzone? Cloack, Sniper Rifle, PDW.

I voted AR cuz it's a happy medium and i'm most adept at it.

Edit: Although I'm fairly adaptive and use whatever fits my goal or the battlefield in question. Same with accesories and such.

Mar 30, 2010
High powered semi-auto rifles such as the G3 are my go-to weapon of choice. If I can I like to back such a weapon up with a shotty for close range. In Reach this manifests itself in the DMR/Shotgun combo, and in MW3 with the MK14/Spas12 loadout.

Give me low-ROF high-damage marksmanship over spray-and-pray hip-fire any day of the week.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
Shotguns, DMRs and Melee. (i chose shotguns)

basically up close and personal and i'll kill everything. and i use a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle, yes it's a real thing. basically think "field sniper") to pick off long-range enemies

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Assault Rifles for me, but only if they have a single shot function so I can snipe when the opportunity comes up. I have to give pistols a close second because of a little pistol from way back in the Perfect Dark N64 days, the Magsec 3, three round burst fire & duel wielding. Love it.