Poll: Should I do it?

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Coming to England would be awesome. Although, I might be biased slightly. But go for it, man! See the world, don't just sit around and wish you'd done it.

But don't let us decide where you go. Look into each country and see which one appeals to you the most, then do it, my friend.

EDIT:
Dapsen said:
Okay, I've been upstairs and talked to my mum.
She doesn't feel safe sending me off to Australia 'cause of all the bugs and snakes and whatnot.
Though she is perfectly fine with New Zealand, so that's the new goal! ;D
I don't know much about Denmark, but knowing you guys say "mum" instead of "mom" raises you up to my "Countries that are Awesome List". Also, I think the reason that you're not allowed to go to Australia is hilarious. Not to say it's wrong, just hilarious.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Dapsen said:
Okay so here's my scenario:

I'm 14 (I'll be fifteen come December) and I'm from Denmark.
The Danish school school system has an offer that allows me to take a year in High School in USA, England, France, Canada, New Zealand, Australia or Ireland. The only requirement is that I have the equivalent of a C in all my core subjects and that I am 15-19 years old.

So, I'm thinking of finishing this school year (come June next year), and then having a year in a High School in USA. By then, I'll be 15, as already mentioned, and I don't think getting a C is very hard for me.

Info about the offer: I'm offered a 14 day preparation course in the country I choose, before starting in school and I will be living with a host family that has gone through 'training' to be nice to me. I can also sign up for 'Discovery tours', where I'm taken on tours with other exchange students to see awesome landmarks and that kinda stuff.
In England, Australia, France, Canada and the states, I can also choose which part I want to be sent to.

So to all you Americans: should I do it? Is High School an awesome experience, or does it suck?
Advise of all kinds is welcome. Also if you hail from one of the other available countries, feel free to give me some reasons as to why I'm better off going there. I will be listening :)

EDIT: I speak fluent English. My English stepfather of 11 years has taught me the language since I was 4-5 years old. I don't have self-esteem issues and I'm open to new people.

MEGA EDIT!: I'm beginning to lean more towards Australia.
HELL YEAH!

That sounds like a magnificent opportunity, as long as you don't mind being away from your family, and don't get home sick.

You should come to England though, (we are the best) :D

Vladamir69

Dec 18, 2008
If your foreign i believe its a ticket to have a good time through high school. Its like an instant win.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
DOOOO EEEEETTTTTTT
it'll be an awesome experience and will look good for any resume or college app you may write =D

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
American girls love foreign guys.
I know because one of them stole my girlfriend.

No, not really.
But yeah, you should do it. Get some Yankee in ya.

Dapsen

Nov 9, 2008
Squarez said:
Coming to England would be awesome. Although, I might be biased slightly. But go for it, man! See the world, don't just sit around and wish you'd done it.

But don't let us decide where you go. Look into each country and see which one appeals to you the most, then do it, my friend.

EDIT:
Dapsen said:
She doesn't feel safe sending me off to Australia 'cause of all the bugs and snakes and whatnot.
I don't know much about Denmark, but knowing you guys say "mum" instead of "mom" raises you up to my "Countries that are Awesome List". Also, I think the reason that you're not allowed to go to Australia is hilarious. Not to say it's wrong, just hilarious.
Yeah, I only say mum because my stepfather is English and I learned English through him and his family. I don't know any other Danish person who says mum. Sorry...

Also: I will try to find some statistics to convince my mum, that Australia is the way to go.
And then I'll get a job to help in with the payment, because a year in Australia is 84.000, where USA is 49.000 ):

Polyg0n

Jul 16, 2009
YES! I did an exchange while in High School myself and it was definately the best year of my life, bar none. Even when I went to a country of which's language I didn't know at all. If you have the change then I see no reason not to do it.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
If I had the option (and the stones) back when I was your age, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Also, everyone ripping on the U.S. seems to be exaggerating a bit.

No, you don't really learn anything in high school here, but that isn't really the idea, is it? The point is to go far away, experience a different culture, and be the cool foreign guy. And in my experience, that's what you'll be. I went to high school in Texas, and exchange students were never lacking for people to talk to. You'll do fine here. Just avoid the obviously stupid people.

Also, DON'T GO TO AUSTRALIA! It's the land of death and giant spiders!

Of course, if you want to test your survival skills and learn to laugh in the face of danger, I guess there's no better place than the land down under.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Dapsen said:
Squarez said:

EDIT:
Dapsen said:
Yeah, I only say mum because my stepfather is English and I learned English through him and his family. I don't know any other Danish person who says mum. Sorry...

Also: I will try to find some statistics to convince my mum, that Australia is the way to go.
And then I'll get a job to help in with the payment, because a year in Australia is 84.000, where USA is 49.000 ):
*Slowly removes Denmark fro his Countries that are Awesome list*

I'm joking, obviously. Out of curiosity, though, what is Denmark most famous for?

cystemic

Jan 14, 2009
Australia FTW. Summer all year round :D. Great weather, great people, dunno why you wanna go to the US. We had an exchange teacher from the US and he was bagging their educational system for giving funding to already well funded schools and basically nothing to public schools that really need it. But it's your call. I think there are a lot of escapists in Oz as well so you wont be alone for sure.

CarbonEagle

Apr 19, 2008
Come to Canada, its a great place (but stay away from quebec if you aren't fluent in french, apparently they are mean otherwise). We got all sorts of wonderful nature, we dont mind cultural differences (theres tons of student exchanges and immigration), you get to wear a beanie (known as a toque here) and a hoodie for a large part of the year and they are so comfy. Also I hear we swear a lot and can drink the Americans under the table. Not to mention its easy to take a weekend and go to the states if you want. Most large cities are close to the border.

On the downside depending on where you go you either get rain all winter or cold and snow. Cold and snow is ok of your willing to spend some money on nice winter clothes (I work outside in the winter so I know you CAN keep warm in -40*C for a few hours at least)

If you like canoeing/kayaking or water sports in general go to Manitoba, theres tons of water and thick forests for hiking there. If you want some breathtaking nature sights and some invigorating hikes go to the rocky mountains. Ive never been to the coasts but i hear they are incredible.

Wherever you do decide to go make sure you do it. Experiencing another country is like that is unforgettable.

Apocalypse Tank

Aug 31, 2008
even in top US highschools we still fool around too often by my standards.
I suggest looking into another country

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
As someone who has studied abroad like this, I tell you now. America. If only to experience it.

Anyone in the US telling you "Booo, no don't choose US" Is ignorant and doesn't realize how awesome their country can be. There is a lot to experience out there.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Dapsen said:
Okay so here's my scenario:

I'm 14 (I'll be fifteen come December) and I'm from Denmark.
The Danish school school system has an offer that allows me to take a year in High School in USA, England, France, Canada, New Zealand, Australia or Ireland. The only requirement is that I have the equivalent of a C in all my core subjects and that I am 15-19 years old.

So, I'm thinking of finishing this school year (come June next year), and then having a year in a High School in USA. By then, I'll be 15, as already mentioned, and I don't think getting a C is very hard for me.

Info about the offer: I'm offered a 14 day preparation course in the country I choose, before starting in school and I will be living with a host family that has gone through 'training' to be nice to me. I can also sign up for 'Discovery tours', where I'm taken on tours with other exchange students to see awesome landmarks and that kinda stuff.
In England, Australia, France, Canada and the states, I can also choose which part I want to be sent to.

So to all you Americans: should I do it? Is High School an awesome experience, or does it suck?
Advise of all kinds is welcome. Also if you hail from one of the other available countries, feel free to give me some reasons as to why I'm better off going there. I will be listening :)

EDIT: I speak fluent English. My English stepfather of 11 years has taught me the language since I was 4-5 years old. I don't have self-esteem issues and I'm open to new people.

MEGA EDIT!: I'm beginning to lean more towards Australia.

Come to Canada, apparently Canadians are nice.

And they love Scandinavians.

Dapsen

Nov 9, 2008
Squarez said:
what is Denmark most famous for?
LEGO i suppose.

Also, at some point a few hundred years ago we were one of the most powerful nations in the world, controlling huge parts of Europe.

We import back-bacon to Britain. Somehow they can't cut it themselves...

We have the oldest flag still in use.

Oldest kingdom I think, or something along those lines.

H.C Andersen, the world famous storyteller, who wrote stories such as The Little Mermaid.

Being Vikings. -Denmark literally owned Norway back then, so the Vikings were Denmark and Sweden.

Carlsberg. Nuff' said.