Poll: Should I get a 3DS or PS Vita?

Krogger

Aug 28, 2013
Don't listen to the nintendyearolds in this thread, get a vita if you have any sense.

Vita has a lot of great games and the technology is superior for the same price. Personally I own P4 golden, Soul Sacrifice, Dragons Crown, and blazeblue extend; as well as Uncharted. Gravity Rush, Wipeout, Virtues Last Reward, Disgea 3, Papaton, Soul Caliber, Dokuro, Mega Man Maverick, Metal Slug XX, and Darkstalkers that I all got FOR FREE from PS plus.

Yes, the 3ds has more games, but it's really all shovelware. Games like Luigi's Mansion 2 and New Super Mario Bros 2 are just rehashes that are really mediocre. The 3ds has quantity, the vita has quality.

Now onto the hadware. Vita has an oled screen with touch functions, glorious dual analog sticks, clicky and responsive buttons, and an interesting back touchsreen. I get 5 hrs of battery.

The 3ds is based on a gimick, which nintendo is abandoning as evident by the 2DS. It has one circle thing, which causes 3d games to control horribly (such as MGS 3 and Kid Icarus *a game that comes with a stand because the controls are so bad*). It also has a yellow tinge to the screen, low resolution, and still uses resistive technology. 3ds's pull 4 hours of battery.

Now onto software. Vita supports party chat, friends lists, multitasking (usefull for VLR because you can open up a webrowser and switch back to the game instantly to get past a puzzle), and instant on/ suspend. The killzone beta and Soul Sacrifice have proven that the system supports online. You can also take screenshots.

3ds supports single-tasking, friend codes, and mediocre online experiences (Monster Hunter without online co-op, what?).

The choice is up to you. The cheap 2ds console may be aluring, but it's clearly a cashgrab by nintendo. Sony has a long life for the Vita, and the future of remote play and streaming is awesome. I got my Vita on craigslist for $180 new and I love it to this day.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
The 3DS will give you more for you buck. Aside from Persona 4 Golden I really can't think of any exclusives that make getting a vita worth it.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Tanis said:
Why not get a 2DS?
Why not Zoidberg?

The 3DS has the superior game library and is cheaper, OP. Might as well add my vote to the 3DS echo chamber.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
I would suggest a 3DS. The Vita is cool and all, but the 3DS has an immensely larger game inventory, and playing Vita games on your tv is already possible from a ps3, not to mention rather pointless for a handheld.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Krogger said:
The 3ds is based on a gimmick, which nintendo is abandoning as evident by the 2DS.
This is completely untrue. Nintendo is not abandoning the 3DS, they just seem to be trying to broaden their audience with the 2DS.

Source, fourth paragraph down.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I picked vita but honestly just look up the lists of all current and upcoming titles for each system. Everyone says the 3DS has more games but personally there isn't much I want on it except for fire emblem, SMH4, and the upcoming super smash bros port. I do plan on getting a 3DS but literally all I want for it is jrpgs. The vita on the other hand has a lot of titles I'm looking forward to like the Lone Survivor director's cut, not to mention psp and ps1 games I want. But like I said, it's about taste so I'd look up the titles and see which suits you best

3DS list [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games]
vita list [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games]

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I got a Vita way before the 3DS and haven't touched it since I completed Persona 4 Golden. There are barely any games out for the thing, and the only other games I could recommend for it are Rayman Origins (port) and Gravity Rush. The others are just pretty average games or ports. It is getting Borderlands 2, but again, it's just another port.

3DS, on the other hand, has a shit ton of great games to play. Fire Emblem, Mario 3D Land, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter 3, Ocarina of Time, Street Fighter IV because why the fuck not, Etrian Odyssey IV, and soon it will be the home of Smash Bros. 4 and Pokemon X & Y. So I see no reason NOT to have a 3DS.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
3DS clearly has the superior game library. While the Vita is a nice piece of hardware, I just can't recommend it right now because of the lack of quality games. If you get a Vita, get a grip for it because it isn't very comfortable to hold without a grip. I was also afraid I was going to drop it before I got a grip for it.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Most of the ps vita games are also available on the ps3 or they're just old ps2/psx games.

So DS for the win. Wait what did DS stand for?

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
3DS, it's got more games now and from the looks of things it will have more into the future.

Simply, the Vita's future is undecided, Sony (to their credit) is trying to push it, however it isn't picking up much sales.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
ace_of_something said:
Most of the ps vita games are also available on the ps3 or they're just old ps2/psx games.

So DS for the win. Wait what did DS stand for?
Until today it stood for Dual Screen but after the 2DS announcement (and picture) it now stands for Door Stop.

I should also clarify that the OP should buy a 3DS, not a 2DS that plays 3DS games without the 3D.

Indyca

May 16, 2013
Yes, 3ds all the way...much better system, huge library of great games, and just better overall...although if you were asking about 3ds or a psp3000, I'd have to take some time and think...since you cannot play emulators and roms on a 3ds.

Krogger

Aug 28, 2013
neonsword13-ops said:
The others are just pretty average games or ports

Monster Hunter 3, Ocarina of Time, Street Fighter IV because why the fuck not. I see no reason NOT to have a 3DS.
Those are all ports though, and the rest of the games you mentioned are mediocre shovelware at best.

Only worthwhile game is pokemon, but that ain't comming out until October. Just get a 2ds pokeman bundle when that comes out, for now just get a vita.

Seriously just get a Vita for Soul Sacrifice, that game is worth it alone. Having dragon's crown, killzone, and virtues last reward is just icing on the cake.