Poll: Should I get Rift or WOW?

strongbow1075

May 26, 2010
I have never played Wow but after 7 months of Lord of the rings online and a month of Rift i would say you should try Lotro it is free to play now so if you don't like it you didn't lose any money Rift is very hollow feeling in my opinion and not much social interaction on the server i was on so my vote is for Lord of the rings online

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
jp201 said:
I would suggest WoW but both WoW and Rift have free trials so try both and see what you personally like.

In WoW I am Sluggs on area 52 Horde side so if your playing WoW go to that realm and that faction and ill help you when I have free time in game.

edit: sorry didn't notice you would be playing on EU side. I would still go with WoW though.
Thanks for the offer but yea I probably won't be Horde.

Scalli said:
Speaking from my personal experience, if you only have a month to play, I wouldn't bother with either. Both are fine MMO's (take that as you will), but a month isn't really enough time to 'get' it.

You would either get hooked and your schooling would suffer, or you would stop after a month, having not really seen all the game has to offer.

There's lots of new-ish games around that are interesting enough to bide your time until school starts. Ones that you can stop playing at any time (so you might be able to weave them into your school life effortlessly, without going through the rigamarole of guild apping, server transfers, faction switches, etc.)
There aren't many recent games that I'm genuinely interested (except for Infamous 2 which I recently platinumed) and I haven't played an MMO for quite a while so I want to try one. I'm not expecting to completely experience the game either, I reckon I will get bored by the end of the month and stop playing, or will just play on and off once semester begins. I don't get insanely addicted to these kind of games (I'm weird like that).

Captcha: subscript infinity symbol?!?!

King Leoric

Jun 7, 2009
As someone who has reached endgame in both Rift and WoW, I recommend Rift.

A lot has changed since the beta, and there are many things that Rift has that WoW does not. Boredom is not a factor in Rift as there is always something to do, even in the endgame, where in WoW you can do a dungeon, a raid or do the frankly unbalanced PvP. And even cataclysm hasn't changed the fact that there is still a lot of grind in WoW. You only have to run the game on medium graphics to get AMAZING visual effects, especially if you are in a rift or fighting off invaders from other planes. Rift is also more flexible in the class system (as some have mentioned), can you heal as a mage in WoW? No. Can you tank as a rough or priest? No. Can playing music be the core aspect of your class? No. (Bards are pretty awesome).

Just wanted to give a rift vet's opinion, as many people seem to only have played beta or for a couple days.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
If you only have a month then just try the free trial of each so that you can get the desire to play an MMO out of your system long enough to hold you over until Guild Wars 2 comes out...or just pick up Guild Wars, but that costs money.

Bottom line, the free trials are there for a reason.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Hristo Tzonkov said:
WaReloaded said:
World of Warcraft, at least for the amazing and rich lore.
You mean amazingly fixed lore.It was interesting up until BC when they had baddies to kill off.Then they had to go back and change the timeline since they needed naxxramas again.
You know in Dragonblight there is a quest chain that explains why naxxramas has returned because the person we gave kel thuzad Phylactery betrayed the argent dawn. http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Phylactery_of_Kel%27Thuzad

So it's not like they went back and we pretend that naxx 40 never existed.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
SecretNegative said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:
WaReloaded said:
You mean amazingly fixed lore.It was interesting up until BC when they had baddies to kill off.Then they had to go back and change the timeline since they needed naxxramas again.It's a jumbled mess and they fail to deliver because of the small development team and other projects.I remember the promise for an instance below Karazhan(There was even a large door looking ominous) and a new instance in that desert that they introduced in Cataclysm.
What also adds is that Blizzard has put that Moron Metzen in charge, which complicate things even further because for Metzen subletly is a made-up word.

And it only get's worse when authors writes Warcraft books which is proclaimed canon by Metzen even though they're hated by the entire community, and now, 6 YEARS later Metzen has realised that and trying to make the game contradict the book. And while that madness is going on the persons that write the quests texts are barely involved with Metzen at all and they have almost no knowledge about the story whatsoever. And with cataclsym it has gone Bananas because Metzen don't want to simply say that the game is more canon than the books and over and over tries to insert "cool" things into the story where they don't fit at all. And while that is going on, the company retconns and retconns established lore in Warcraft 2 and 3 to make the villains seem more relevant.

Simply, the WoW story is a god damn clusterfuck because of incompetent leaders, too many people involved, wrong mindset, a too big playerbase, chilsidh humour and simply very bad writing.
Oh I completely agree.I mean how did Kael'Thas who was antagonized by a rogue Alliance leader and Illidan who was always the person with a sort of secret agenda but never that bad of a guy become main villains in Burning Crusade.Also the first game was very very witty in quest writing.Afterwards the references and wit became more akin to Family Guy.

They've also been majorly copycats in their development rather than making new stuff.And as evident of the Starcraft engine(revamped WoW) great things can be done with some creative thinking.Instead they copy whatever element of any new MMO coming out.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
I've played WoW for almost 5 years and it's amazing. I deviated to participate in the BETA of Rift and yes it was good and very attractive, but it just isn't WoW. There's just something about WoW that makes it the best.

But it is very addictive... be warned :p x

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
jp201 said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:
WaReloaded said:
You mean amazingly fixed lore.It was interesting up until BC when they had baddies to kill off.Then they had to go back and change the timeline since they needed naxxramas again.
You know in Dragonblight there is a quest chain that explains why naxxramas has returned because the person we gave kel thuzad Phylactery betrayed the argent dawn. http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Phylactery_of_Kel%27Thuzad

So it's not like they went back and we pretend that naxx 40 never existed.
I've seen that.It's a cleverly explained retconn because 0.5% of the entire playerbase had even seen Naxxramas.That was the main reason it went back and the story as seen is free to be butchered.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Rift is 90% a watered-down WoW clone with a poorly implemented gimmick tacked on. It has almost everything that WoW does, but the quality is much lower and the world feels much less unique than Azeroth.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
Neither, don't get an MMO. They're essentially devoid of any real gameplay. Unless you like repeating the same actions, over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. You also have to deal with guilds where you're left behind and suddenly can't find a party, the realization that you just spent 6 hours grinding for that extra .1 point of damage, the gold spammers, the people who can't play their class after 80 levels, the corpse camping gankers, the queues, the cool off times on everything.

Yeah, just don't.

Raizekage

May 31, 2011
In case no one has mentioned it, both games have a free trial. WoW's is something like 10 days, while Rift is 7 days. You could try one, then try the other. Or you could just try World of Warcraft, get addicted, play that for 5-6 years, then when you wake up in your coma and you are angry at WoW for taking away all your time then you can try Rift.

Malrock

Dec 18, 2010
Well I have never played rift so can't comment on it; but if you are only going to play for a while, I can vouch for WoW's rich leveling experience now that cataclysm has improved it. I for one find it thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Oh I completely agree.I mean how did Kael'Thas who was antagonized by a rogue Alliance leader and Illidan who was always the person with a sort of secret agenda but never that bad of a guy become main villains in Burning Crusade.Also the first game was very very witty in quest writing.Afterwards the references and wit became more akin to Family Guy.

They've also been majorly copycats in their development rather than making new stuff.And as evident of the Starcraft engine(revamped WoW) great things can be done with some creative thinking.Instead they copy whatever element of any new MMO coming out.
I'm going to guess you didn't play Warcraft 3 to be wondering how/why Kael and Illidan are baddies.

OP: I've played both, but I've invested too much time in WoW, and honestly I enjoy the lore (yes, rehashed, retconned, rewritten lore) too much to move onto a game that felt like a watered down glass of flat soda; all the pop is missing. Rift was fun for a bit.. it made me nostalgic for old school (luclin and pre) Everquest. But ultimately it failed with it's horrible marketing (really? a wow killer? That makes me want to shit on your product just to spite you) and it's lack of enjoyable end game. Also, not a fan of the 'rift' mechanic anyways, and lets face it, if you don't go for the main game mechanic you might as well not play.

As everyone has said, there are trials out for both. Go enjoy some free test runs and then decide :).

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
Stay away from both!

Suck you in and take your soul they will. XP.

I would have to say WoW. Loads of content and rich lore. Plus you can't beat being a cow druid (horde side).

Circusfreak

Mar 12, 2009
I say, Wait for Guild Wars 2 instead. however i have had more fun in rift that ive ever had in WoW. (i have only played trial for both games)

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Rift is a compliacted and at lategame a hard game. Wow is easy and Boosts you rocketspeed up in levels. The raiding and lategame in wow is easy, so if you like to use little brainpower and just press 1 button go for WoW. If rift, roll a cleric, its the most useful thing in the game and can fill any party role. Rogue is a noobtrap, as in it is horrible bad and annoying + leveling is a pain also 70% of server pop is/was rogues and its not ez mode stunlockpvper/hunter leveler ^^, also pvping is rewarded enormously in rift..