Poll: Should Link be female in the next Lengend Of Zelda

scorn the biomage

Say no too ethics.
Jan 21, 2012
I think there should there is nothing Over all masculine link and the green tunic is pretty much gender neutral. also I posting because of moviebob the game overthinker

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I'd actually liked to see a Zelda game with Zelda as the main character. She has proven herself to be a capable fighter in several of the games, at least more so than someone like Princess Peach. Instead of items she could gain different spells to get around dungeons and solve puzzles. Just as Link has to face several trials to prove that he's a true hero, She should also be facing several trials to prove herself as well, or perhaps a more traditional setting where Link's the one in trouble and Zelda has to save him instead. I think this would be more of a breath of fresh air than just simply genderbending Link.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
[Kira Must Die said:
]I'd actually liked to see a Zelda game with Zelda as the main character. She has proven herself to be a capable fighter in several of the games, at least more so than someone like Princess Peach. Instead of items she could gain different spells to get around dungeons and solve puzzles. Just as Link has to face several trials to prove that he's a true hero, She should also be facing several trials to prove herself as well, or perhaps a more traditional setting where Link's the one in trouble and Zelda has to save him instead. I think this would be more of a breath of fresh air than just simply genderbending Link.
So basically the Legend of Link: Zelda's Time to Shine. =p That'd be an interesting concept and I'd enjoy playing a Zelda game like that. Kinda like Super Princess Peach, except...not.

I can't say I'd want a game where Link is female for the entire game. Maybe a section where Link requires the use of a female form for some infiltration? Like for example: You need something that the Gerudo are guarding. You cannot just sneak in and take this item. You must win the trust of the Gerudo to get so far as the very room it's in. Link could learn a spell that reshapes his body into a female form(it doesn't have to be a genderbent version of his normal male body, it could even be a transformation into the typical Gerudo form) whenever he needs it.

I think that would be a pretty interesting concept to play with, but that's just me. I'd rather Link stay primarily male, personally.

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
I think it would be interesting and a bit progressive. The Hero of Time doesn't have to be the exact same all the time every time. Having zelda still being a princess or being a prince would both be equally interesting in addition to Link's swap.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
[Kira Must Die said:
]I'd actually liked to see a Zelda game with Zelda as the main character. She has proven herself to be a capable fighter in several of the games, at least more so than someone like Princess Peach. Instead of items she could gain different spells to get around dungeons and solve puzzles. Just as Link has to face several trials to prove that he's a true hero, She should also be facing several trials to prove herself as well, or perhaps a more traditional setting where Link's the one in trouble and Zelda has to save him instead. I think this would be more of a breath of fresh air than just simply genderbending Link.
..I dunno about link being in trouble, but I think you're onto something there. She does tend to always have the triforce of wisdom, perfect set up for a more (that's right, more) puzzle oriented game and stuff. I'd be totally okay with that.

OT: I don't think It'd work well. A girl named link? I mean the hero of legend is always named link, and wears a green tunic. Even if we can rename him every time. I think the entire legend in the heads of its creators has link always being a guy, and looking the same. It's a staple of the series now that they scrambled to make a timeline and have it try to make sense.

Could the game work if link was a girl though, barring all that? Sure. No doubt. It just doesn't fit in the legend is all.

I think it could make an interesting spin-off game though, or maybe some sort of coop zelda feature, where it bases the heroes gender on your Mii? SO you can have guys -and- girl links, but you can still keep the canon intact.

That'd be pretty cool actually...but then why not just use Zelda or something? <.<

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
This is...

...this is actually a really good idea. After all, the whole story of the Link, Zelda and Ganon reincarnation...thing doesn't say that it couldn't happen. I shall immediately advocate for this.

scorn the biomage

Say no too ethics.
Jan 21, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
What's a Lengend?

OT:Uh, isn't that like asking Duke Nukem or Master Chief to become female in the next game? Why take an established male character and genderbend them? Just have a new female protagonist (which every nintendork will go apeshit over) If you have to drink a temporary potion, then alright, but to play an entire game as a rule 63'd Link...nah.

[Kira Must Die said:
]I'd actually liked to see a Zelda game with Zelda as the main character.
You wanna see Zelda as the hero?
All I'm saying link isn't masculine link duke nuke em or master chief plus there isn't a lot of men who would refuse to play as female character on principle in the legend of Zelda franchise

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
[Kira Must Die said:
How about no:

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I still wouldn't genderbend Link because someone would question why we haven't done it to Samus and then there would be a shit-ton of problems.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Legend of Zelda wherein you play as Zelda? Sounds awesome to me though it would have to be different since Zelda has never really been eligible to wield the Master Sword. Still, as long as the puzzles remain and etc etc it could be great.

Legend of Zelda wherein Link is female?! Awesome and should definitely happen! Link is androgynous enough to the point that I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet and also to the point that (like Bob said) people wouldn't throw as much of a shit-fit as they would if the next big franchise revealed that you play as a female in the next installment. As for the Link and Zelda relationship: they're almost never lovers in the games so it should work nicely. They may have to invert Malon's gender too or introduce a new Kokiri for Link to be infatuated with (according to the manual).

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Terminate421 said:
[Kira Must Die said:
How about no:

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

I still wouldn't genderbend Link because someone would question why we haven't done it to Samus and then there would be a shit-ton of problems.
You have wrought a terrible darkness upon t his forum that shall last millenia.

OT: Meh, why is there no option for general indifference? I'm more concerned if they'll ruin it for me with motion controls or not to be honest. Let's have a male zelda and they can be gay.

Also, progressive? First we need to catch up with the rest of the world: VOICE ACTING.

-Raises +4 Shield of Flame Resistance-

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
No way. I'd like a game where you play as Zelda or a new female protag, but rule 63 Link sounds like fetish fuel then trying to have gender diversity in games.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Terminate421 said:
That question would be really stupid namely because Samus is always the same person and there have been a several different Links. I see no reason why Link couldn't incarnate as a woman.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Fem-Link? No. But a game from Zeldas PoV? That I would like to see. You know how in OoC she turned into a ninja and hid from Gannondorf for like 7 years? It would be pretty cool to play through that time.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
How about optional gender choice? I mean, Link is a silent protagonist, so it shouldn't make a difference in the narrative.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
How about optional gender choice? I mean, Link is a silent protagonist, so it shouldn't make a difference in the narrative.
Actually, yeah, that's a pretty good idea too.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I think that would be a lot more off-putting and controversial to most people than a Zelda game in which you actually play as Zelda (the CDI games don't count). Designs and settings may change, but Link is still a recognized character and switching genders would probably throw a lot of people off, whereas plenty of LoZ fans have been asking for a game with Zelda as the protagonist for a while and she's already a recognized female character, so it would likely go over smoothly. If they were going to go for a female Link, I think it would be better to make a game where its an option than one in which it's the only option, at least until people are more used to the idea.