Poll: Should parents of extremely obese children lose custody for not controlling their kids' weight?

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Angerwing said:
Strictly? No. Mostly? Yes.

Please, enlighten us on what constitutes weight gain/loss if thermodynamics aren't so important.
First of all: I never argued that thermodynamics were no part of it whatsoever (although that "mostly" is pretty dubious.)

Yes, just about anyone can crash-diet their way to a socially acceptable weight. Whether or not they'll actually be healthier just by virtue of losing weight is another question altogether.

Secondly: genetics and hormones also play into it.

In short: putting it down to "thermodynamics" is simply a way to dismiss anyone who's fat(ter than oneself) as guilty of the sins of Gluttony and Sloth, and therefore inferior. And yes, the medical industry does it as well. That's a failing on their part.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
How about stupid people should lose custody of their kids. Looks like 68 people will be losing their kids. Oh well.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Farseer Lolotea said:
Angerwing said:
Strictly? No. Mostly? Yes.

Please, enlighten us on what constitutes weight gain/loss if thermodynamics aren't so important.
First of all: I never argued that thermodynamics were no part of it whatsoever (although that "mostly" is pretty dubious.) Yes, just about anyone can crash-diet their way to a socially acceptable weight. Whether or not they'll actually be healthier just by virtue of losing weight is another question altogether.

Secondly: genetics and hormones also play into it.
Since when was exercise 'crash-dieting'? The idea of losing weight isn't to starve yourself, although that would work. It's about exercise. Working off fat, replacing it with muscle. That's far healthier than being fat.

And I'd say it's far more environmental than genetic.

Other than maybe one or two excuses (gland/thyroid issues), the basic laws of thermodynamics will account for most weight gain/loss.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
You're right in the fact that it is detrimental to the child. Yet, what you're suggesting is a blanket solution that will probably cause more problems then it solves.

What I believe -should- be happening is this: Learning these life skills should be made a compulsory requirement, nutrition included.

LokiArchetype

Nov 11, 2009
For one, apparently some people need to be studied by science as their body's hold the solution to the energy crisis. I mean really, can we stop pretending like it has nothing to do with eating habits?
Fat is stored energy and that energy has to come from somewhere. Unless you're some kind of plant-human hybrid that can synthesize energy from the sun, it's coming from the food you're eating and its in surplus to what your body expends.

For two, yes, the state should intervene on some level IF the kid is very young AND their weight is causing *immediate* health problems.

Remember the "fat kid dancing" girl?
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fat-kid-dancing
Can anyone honestly say they don't think letting such a young child get so large is a form of child abuse/neglect of parenting duties and should be investigated as such?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Scytail said:
The full article can be found here: http://news.yahoo.com/parents-lose-custody-super-obese-kids-200342454.html

Yes! If the parents are the problem then the child should be removed from the household. I know this would add even more problems to an already underfunded and ineffective system but this should be added in as another type of child abuse.

OT: I enjoy how both sides of the argument in the article both state that they arent blaming the parents. Instead we should blame "advertising, marketing, peer pressure and bullying." If I remember correctly from my childhood, I believe my parents bought the food and controlled what we ate.
yes cause pissing off alot of parents is such a smart idea?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
As a fat dude I say...no.

Let the kid die.

Darwin Award for all.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Angerwing said:
Since when was exercise 'crash-dieting'? The idea of losing weight isn't to starve yourself, although that would work. It's about exercise. Working off fat, replacing it with muscle. That's far healthier than being fat.
Aside from the fact that presuming that all fat people are lazy is just as messed-up as presuming that they're all gluttonous? Neither of us said anything about exercise, and most weight-loss-focused plans (IIRC) do focus mainly on diet.

Let's say that there are three women, all 5'4", 120#. Jane drives to work rain or shine, watches television on weekends, and eats whatever the hell she pleases. Maria rides her bike to work unless the weather's bad, swims and jogs on weekends, and eats healthy but isn't fanatical about it. Beth rides her bike to work rain or shine, always takes the stairs, spends her weekends in the gym, and lives on salads and mineral water.

Do you really think that Jane is just as healthy as the other two? Or that Beth is necessarily healthier than Maria? Or that there's no chance that Beth would gain so much as a pound if she adopted Maria's lifestyle?

And I'd say it's far more environmental than genetic.
So...kid gets adopted by parents who've never had a body-mass index above 24. They eat decently, are relatively active...and he still grows up fat. It later turns out that his biological father weighed 300#. What do you call that?

And yes, it's anecdotal. It's also based on studies.

Other than maybe one or two excuses (gland/thyroid issues), the basic laws of thermodynamics will account for most weight gain/loss.
Yes, that's what the medical industry keeps claiming. All evidence to the contrary be damned.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Lilani said:
Tdc2182 said:
But when does "how parents raise their kids" become neglect? I put this in the post right above yours, but I'll put it here again for good measure.

My mom works at an elementary school and sees it all the time. There's a boy in special education right now, and all his mom packs his lunch with is marshmallow creme sandwiches, sticky buns, ho-hos, and cheetos. Not only is he hyperactive from all the sugar, but his skin is thin and pasty and his hair is falling out from the lack of nutrition.

Is that an acceptable way for someone to be raising their child? How is that any different from letting him go hungry? He could die or become terminally ill if he gets too low on any essential vitamin or mineral. Poor nutrition can cause permanent damage. I think that sort of thing should be considered neglect.

As for obesity, I don't think it should be as black and white considering there are other causes other than overeating. However, I think the extreme situations should call for investigations, and if necessary court-ordered nutrition classes and counseling. If it continues to be a problem or the parent refuses to comply, I think taking away the child shouldn't be totally out of the question. It is neglect to allow your child to starve when you are perfectly capable of providing food for them. Why should not providing proper nutrition when you can be any different? Both are essential for life.

The you say, "Hey there. Take care of your fucking kid."

You people keep spouting off the exact same crap to me expecting me to change my mind.

My answer will be no, and will always remain no. Put some regulations on some of these parents? Sure, if you can find some way to actually do it, be my guest.

But taking away kids for over feeding them? No, that is the biggest overreaction I could imagine and I will fight to the death before I see a kid get taken away for a small thing like that. You pose just as big a risk to a child as smoking in the same room with him.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
No

They should be given a program to teach the parents better eating habits.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
No.

For crying out loud, why would we want to add even more "abuses" to the list that can already get children taken away from loving homes.

In certain areas, with the right circumstances, parents can have their children removed just for raising their voice to them or acting "threatening". Now people are proposing removing them because they won't eat what they are told or refuse to go out.. what do you want parents to do, force feed them? Monitor their every moment to ensure they eat and exercise right?

The solution to childhood and even general obesity is simple.

Firstly, Education.. not scaremongering, actual education.

Secondly, Exercise being encouraged in a variety of ways so that everyone can, easily, find access to a setting in which they are comfortable.

Thirdly, Balanced, healthy food that is as affordable, tasty and convenient as the unhealthy option.

jowo96

Jan 14, 2010
I would say that if you allow your child to become morbidly obese then you maybe aren't doing a good enough job but I would think that parental support should be the first response. I would imagine parents let their kids get obese out of ignorance rather than malice

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
poppabaggins said:
JoshGod said:
It depends on the case, mostly i would assume it would not be the best option.
Scytail said:
this should be added in as another type of child abuse.
"Are you serious?" image
What's not abusive about destroying your kid's body and setting him up for a lifetime of health issues and premature death? Seems pretty fucked up to me.
I don't think that overfeeding on the parents part can be considered abuse unless the parent ties there children down and force feeds them, otherwise they just don't realise how much they should feed there child, or don't want to deal with their child demanding more. It may make them bad parents but that does not mean they are abusing their children.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Fat people seem to be the new punching bag for everyone. I never see anyone blame the people pumping out cheap food and filling them with addictive substances.

But anyway, I can't really offer a judgement on this. I've never experienced parenting and I wouldn't know the first thing about it.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
you know how dumb this sounds right it would be like taking kids who get Es(or Fs matters what school) away from their parents
I don't know why the media doesen't care about the failing students (look people in my school celebrate Es which mean they didn't do any assessments on time) of today and yet they complain about children getting fat? (also failed high school students hurt the economy where fat people kinda help it)/rant

EDIT: you could argue that those students do help the economy but thats not the point
also it looked like I was saying taking e students away was a good thing It Isn't

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I think its the right thing to do if its gotten out of hand being severly over wieght can really be damaging to your growth.

OneNooneKnows

Jul 2, 2011
It'll create a -lot- more problems then worth it... So no. Even if the kid is obese doesn't mean the parents are bad people, just doesn't know very much about proper food. Yanking the kid away from a place were they feel safe, were they're happy to be won't help one bit. Educate the parents instead, make offers for healthy food plans/packages for families instead.