Poll: Should Scotland Become Independent?

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Barciad said:
Owing to the inescapable fact that the Scottish Nationalist Party just won a landslide majority, Scotland may eventually become an independent country. In two years time there will be a referendum on the matter.
Would you support this and why?
Plus there are quite a few plausible options that the Scottish people might take.
I chose option two, but it saddens me to think that 700 years later, Robert the Bruce's decendants, whom rule the British throne, will not be overseeing the Scottish people (My grandfather was from Glasgow).

I guess (sadly), in modern society, the past, what is it since the union of the crowns? 300 years or something, the Scots have not been well represented in London, and their concerns and interested have not been met, and war after war have distracted them for some time, but finally, at a time of relative peace they can take it no more, and want independance.

No one can stop them, so don't even try.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
FarleShadow said:
Whatever the Scottish people want, really.

Although I would specify that if the Scots do want independance from England, that they cannot recieve money from the rest of the UK to pay for their schemes or plans or whatever.

Kinda like, you've off the gravy train! NO MORE GRAVY!
This really.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
The solution is an American style system in which Scotland would have certain absolute state rights.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
A lot of people don't seem to realise that we already have a devolved parliament in Scotland.

So basically England aren't really making our decisions for us. Hence why we get University fees paid for us when the rest of the UK don't.

darkonnis

Apr 8, 2010
i see a few people pointing to the fact scotland has oil. Yes welldone your short sightedness will be your demise. When the oil runs out in 40 or so years what then? you'll have a country with not a great deal in as far as natural resources go.

Second point, quite a few towns in scotland are supported by large military bases
Faslain, leuchars, lossiemouth
There was uproar when the defence spending review was looking at closing both leuchars and lossiemouth as part of the cuts. As the towns surrounding them would be devastated. If you get your independence scotland will have to fund the keeping of such bases or the unemployment of a few towns to its own pockets. Very expensive either way. Not to mention recruitment for scottish people into the british services and institutions.

I've missed another point and i cant think for the life of me what it was... Ah yes:
A quick lesson in geography, look at the "eurozone" as its effectively known. Notice how the capitals of the main nations are all relatively close, ( i think the furthest away is probably berlin) at the core their is substantially more money and more power. This is where all the capital cities lie, now look at periphery(western germany is poor compared to the east, southern italy is poor compared to the north).
Again you get your independence, you'll find that not only will you have to join the EU and pay your own 40 odd million a day bill the UK pays, but that your power will drop substantially. You could argue that you don't care, but the EU are our biggest trading partners, a hell of a lot of that oil ends up in the eurozone. You'll also find that as a result you'll get some power from that, but you'll also be at their mercy because if they stop buying and go to the saudis, the russians or who ever instead, your currency will drop into freefall and that will be that.

Of course this is just how i see it. Maybe im wrong, im not against you getting it but it is naive to think that there is only one side to this argument. And that yes you may be better off, but in the long term, it may cripple you.

I just looked, out of curiosity. In pariliament there are roughly 600 seats (650? something like that?) the population of the Uk stands at just over 60 million. scotland has a population of 5.1million, it has roughly 58ish (cant remember the exact figures) seats of the total. that looks like fair representation to me. Or so near as makes no difference. Your voice are heard then, but you are the minority, not the majority so of course you arent going to get exactly what you want unless its the same as the majority. Simples, democracy as work.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I don't care if they become independent, as it would be good for the rest of Britain's economy, but the ones that want dual-nationality (presumably so they can enjoy the support of Britain's free health-care, amongst other things) are cheeky bastards.