Poll: Should stories be praised for being progressive?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Fallow said:
Art can never be logical, and 'essential' is very subjective. Some will care a great deal, others will not care at all.
Obviously it's subjective; that goes without saying. We're discussing art.

Art reflecting culture and societal forces in flux and conflict can certainly be said to be essential if we're to approach those topics healthily. It serves to provide people with outside perspectives, gives context and illustration. It's perfectly reasonable to say art is essential to a healthy culture in that respect.

Some may care not at all, but the same is true of absolutely everything. It means nothing to the validity of the topic.

Josh123914 said:
Nobody's saying that. Nobody, and all it does is mean that when somebody responds they have to spend another paragraph trying to explain why that isn't the case to you.
That's true. However, if a gay character mentions their partner's gender just in passing, then very frequently people will accuse the creator/show of tokenism, or pandering, or what-have-you. The effect being that the gay character is censured for doing precisely what straight characters do all the time.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I don't think it should be praised, but in the sense it shouldn't be criticised either. If a character is a minority (read: not a straight white male), they should just happen to be a character that's a minority.
In games I've made, characters that are women or non-white men are just that. It's more or less "which shade of black/white and which character template should I use". They're called horrible things, but it's indiscriminate. The main cast of most games, who are based off me and my friends, get the same treatment. And, I think, that makes all the difference. Equality in everything, even the bad things.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
Silvanus said:
Obviously it's subjective; that goes without saying. We're discussing art.
I don't dare make such assumptions anymore, though I agree that in most situations I probably could.
Art reflecting culture and societal forces in flux and conflict can certainly be said to be essential if we're to approach those topics healthily. It serves to provide people with outside perspectives, gives context and illustration. It's perfectly reasonable to say art is essential to a healthy culture in that respect.
That's an unfair characterization of my argument. Reflecting society in some way is not controversial for art, but claiming that art is 'essential' in 'solving' those issues imply that art is a critical component without which the issues cannot be resolved, and that is definitely not something to be claimed in an off-the-cuff remark. I do not contest that art may play a part in one or many ways, but I will need a lot of convincing that it's at the heart of these issues.

Some may care not at all, but the same is true of absolutely everything. It means nothing to the validity of the topic.
The post I replied to made some very sweeping generalizations, hence it needed to be said.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
My perspective on this is derived from looking at the opposite side and asking myself
"MoltenSilver, do you condemn art that you feel is racist/homophobic/otherwise backwards?"
Yes, yes I do.

So, if I can condemn one piece of art based on its ideas, would it not follow that I could think better of a piece of art based on its ideas?
Makes sense to me.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Saelune said:
When its actually well done, sure. Though the best way to do it is to just do it and don't make it a big deal *cough*Ghostbusters*cough*.

By normalizing things, you remove the stigmas surrounding them. I'm sure plenty of young lesbians will cite Adventure Time and Steven Universe as making them feel ok about being gay. (I'm sure some gay boys too, but still).

The thing is though, the best examples of progressiveness isn't usually so obvious. It just is, because they just make a good character who just is this or that. Not to say there cant be any focus on it, but it needs to be organic and genuine.
And yet critics like SJW Bob claim that movies like the Alien Quadrilogy aren't progressive just because they have a strong female lead, because Ripley is just a person who is female (and to hell with Newt). There is literally no pleasing these people, so don't bother trying, just make the best production you can.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Fallow said:
I don't dare make such assumptions anymore, though I agree that in most situations I probably could.
Well, fine, cynicism's fair in internet spats.

Fallow said:
That's an unfair characterization of my argument. Reflecting society in some way is not controversial for art, but claiming that art is 'essential' in 'solving' those issues imply that art is a critical component without which the issues cannot be resolved, and that is definitely not something to be claimed in an off-the-cuff remark. I do not contest that art may play a part in one or many ways, but I will need a lot of convincing that it's at the heart of these issues.
I don't believe I could think of many socio-political topics which have not been extensively explored, and been done a service in doing so, by art in some form-- literature primarily.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Fallow said:
Some might consider the cultural and social value as the single measurement of how "good" art is.
Fair play to them, though I've never met anyone who's actually that myopic.

Art is ill-defined and means a lot of different things to a lot of different people - It's use in arguments is therefor limited.
I hugely disagree, but I'll address that next:

To you maybe. Some consider it to be old pictures of horses, and they are just as correct.
---which was in reply to me saying Art reflects who and what we are; the past, the present, and the possible futures - it is a conduit for all these things. .

Yes, they are as subjectively correct as I am subjectively correct about preferring Joanna Newsom to [insert musical artist I don't like]. Pure taste and perception. But the totality of art throughout history? That is something else entirely. Why does 'art' exist? What does it achieve? Is it all just white noise? Does it have no broader relevance to existentialism through the ages?

The creation reflects the creator, and ostensibly a creator creates to express, to understand themselves more, and to seek to understand the world and their place within it better. Even if there is no conscious intent in something, it reflects the creator and the era in which it was created. What can be discerned from that varies wildly, of course, but that's why art historians and critics exist (one could define art as a grand experiment in collective self-reflexivity).

To get no further than 'art means different things to different people' is to surely be blind to all the connective elements that stretch back through the ages, that reveal art has served specific functions from then to now. Culture and era refashions it, but there is a universality of human experience that allows you or I to intimately and profoundly connect to a poem, a play, a painting, or a building from another culture and another time. Art functions as a means to explore the human condition.

(btw, I use the term art to include high, low, middle, the whole lot. the new Star Wars film connects to the human experience just as a Terrence Malick film might - they simply approach universal themes and/or stories from wildly different angles, and escapism is clearly the greater bias of mainstream pop-culture. both are relative to each other, and their merit is 'equal' in the grand scheme of things as they service different needs)

Art can never be logical, and 'essential' is very subjective. Some will care a great deal, others will not care at all.
I'll try to clarify my usage: Google-flavoured synonyms are crucial, necessary, key, vital, indispensable, all-important, critical, etc. Art is not consciously necessary or vital to an individual - but it clearly is 'essential', as in of-the-essence, in human experience across thousands of years of history and culture. It is, quite demonstrably, a part of our species.

If art is expression, it can indeed be harmful. Why do you think repressive regimes go to so much trouble to prohibit free expression?
That's a fine point, but this veers into chicken-and-egg territory. I was specifically talking about progressive or liberal values. Yes, they can be a threat - to institutions averse to evolution and change. However, what came first as a thorn in a control-happy repressive regimes side? The pesky progressive art? Or the pesky progressive yearning in the downtrodden/controlled?

Is art reflective of natural shifts in a society or culture? That's a bigger, broader topic that's more or less impossible to determine.

So, I'll concede that point; art may be feared, as it can reflect a (not the) will of a people - but only the most hostile and suspiciously inclined regimes should ever fear its own flock (governements and institutions are supposed to serve the people, not the other way around). To other cultures more inclined to adaptation, art is simply natural expression (a conduit for social paradigms, a vent for frustration/doubt, etc) and so a creative response will generally reflect that.

I'd argue a liberal and progressive culture should be able to absorb relative 'threats' to it, e.g. overtly nationalist or religious dogma (be it expressed creatively or politically). In this respect, the West is a fair ways off being an exemplar of that ideal, as it is still decidedly insecure about its own hoped-for/perceived moral highground (denying platforms for certain expressions of opinions isn't an adaptive, progressive solution or response).

If art cannot be a threat to anything, how can it be 'destructively' myopic?
In that context I meant destructive to the self (anger, hate, and prejudice can unconsciously define a creators work, f'instance). As for cultural threats, I conceded that point above.

Art is subjective but you have now defined what it represents 'broadly speaking' for the entire world?
Which was in response to me saying--- it exists out of a desire and willingness for diverse, inclusive expression and connection. Yes, and I reasonably and logically stand by the statement; a creator of art or culture that validates and justifies, say, persecution or some horrific social model is seeking to connect to like-minded souls in the world. That is their inclusive expression and connection. Birds of a feather flock together, would be a fairly blunt simplification of the idea. Very few creators create in or for a vacuum.

Do some? Yes, but art has always been as social as it is individually existential - music or a creative sentiment which no one else experiences has no effect on anyone but the creator. It is thus devoid of context, devoid of being assimilated and transformed. Artists always create for themselves to some extent (to explore their own perspective, styles, techniques, as a private outlet or experimentation, and so on), but they almost always share their work with the rest of the world as well.[footnote]The English folk maverick/genius, Nick Drake, struggled to connect to his modest audiences in his lifetime, and never found recognition or a place in the musical/cultural landscape in his lifetime. Yet despite his almost isolationist nature he still persevered - sometimes in the dead of night, ostensibly by himself - to record his work in studios.

What drove him to endure his anxieties and leave a [literal] record of his thoughts and feelings?[/footnote]

You might do this, but you don't speak for every human being on the planet (or 80% since we are talking about humans). Far from everyone places importance in whatever this "art" is you're talking about, and far from everyone needs continuous re-affirmation from "empathizing" people.
It doesn't matter if someone doesn't consciously create what might be defined as 'art' - all human beings seek to understand their place in the universe in their own way, as well as connect to other - usually like-minded - people. Art is just a more overt expression of that component of what it means to be a self-aware human.

But that is exactly the opposite of what you just said. You are handing out awards because "the heart was in the right place". And yes, it is damaging when you positively acknowledge something bad simply because it agrees with your own personal ideals. That's called bias.
Er, no? I explicitly didn't say 'derp, give official-actual industry awards for progressive values regardless of any other criteria!!'.

Me sentimentally feeling a work has its heart in the right place is very different from me trying to objectively critique a given work. Life Is Strange is progressive as fuck... but I feel it's also quite poorly written and bizarrely staged (why are 18-year-old's behaving and thinking like 11-year-olds?). Granted, I've still not got passed the first episode yet (I have the season pass, though), but even with that first episode I 'praise' LiS for its depiction of female leads and of what it is not (i.e. yet another inertly bland and regressive straight male narrative), whilst wanting to smack all the writers over the head with a rolled up newspaper. See also: crappy engine, and iffy mechanics.

I bought it to ostensibly support it, culturally, because I want more diversity of narrative and representation. I'm still not likely to put it in a single 'top 10' list of gaming, unless that's a Top 10 Games With Annoyingly Hipstery, Noodly Music...

The beauty of seeing beyond the "Is this in accordance with my ideology or should I hate it" perspective is that I can appreciate a good story even if it does not resonate with my views personally. I don't measure a movie's diversity, and so I am instead free to judge and appreciate the contribution of that diversity (assuming it's good). Looking beyond the core components you might say. I don't like the box ticking awards and I find them insulting.
Which is exactly what I do, so snap.

For example, I'm an agnostic who adores some explicitly and not-so-explicitly religious art, for precisely the same reasons as I've outlined relative to the functionality of art through the ages (i.e. universality of human experience), be it the contemporary Terrence Malick, or the 19th century German romantic-landscape painter, Caspar David Friedrich.

Various kinds of older rap and hip-hop projects some pretty nasty values or ideas, yet the music and verve of creativity results in some absolute classics.

I even enjoy Bay's Transformers (all need a good editing, but the original's one of the best action films of the noughties, and 3's an at times incredible spectacle) for their almost cartoonish representation of masculine fantasies, where machines and women are almost equally objectified. I wouldn't try to suggest writers or filmmakers copy Bay's ticks... or promote his seemingly 'Murica/'Murican military'n'sexism flavoured values, but I can admire and enjoy just how well he [sometimes] puts the pieces together.

Btw, I'm talking about stories, the OP was talking about stories, but you are here claiming I'm talking about "a form of expression", and you keep going on about 'art'. If these thing are exactly the same, why not use story? If these things aren't exactly the same then you are making unsubstantiated claims regarding what I've said and misrepresenting my arguments.
They were discussing representation of values and how we respond to it in a work of art, so I'm pretty sure I'm on very safe ground, topically speaking.

A story to me is a flow of events or objects, not necessarily in any logical order.
Well then we seem to be on the same page for that. When I was referring to art without 'story' or character, I was mostly thinking of non-linear or structurally oblique films. Malick's Tree Of Life features two principle actors whose character names are never mentioned, and who barely exhibit behaviour beyond two kinds of archetypes - which was Malick's point, given they are symbols and exemplars of concepts (Grace, and Nature) as opposed to conventional characters in stories with believable likes, dislikes, motivations, arcs, and so on. More abstract art doesn't need conventions to be 'great'.

Re dem pesky SJW's:
- representation is important - doesn't matter if it makes sense or not; an individual is always representing the entire group in the whole world and you should attach all the stigmas of that group to the individual; it's 2016 dammit.

- substance doesn't matter - we don't get the context, we don't need to; Death of the Author; it's 2016 dammit! Schindler's List? Add some muslims, they have it far worse than Jews. World War 2 memorial day? Scrap it, not inclusive enough.

- individual freedom of expression is bad - Why are people on the wrong side of history allowed to express things? Let's stop them! Why can people just write their own stories and get published without first checking if their book triggers anyone? Let's burn them! Why let people create their own 'art' when it's clearly not progressive enough? It's 2016 dammit.
...so, er, the acronym just refers to parody and unhelpful hyperbole? That's pretty much what I've always felt.

Also, a person looking critically at culture can be disagreed with and proven to be on shaky ground with absolutely no need for meaningless, destructively divisive terminology. SJW = battle lines in a self-created/defined culture war, so it's really not helpful. Anyone who does somehow manage to actually fit those three criteria is surely effortless to ignore. If you want to get into horrid specifics of the insecure BS that's plagued gaming over the past couple of years, PM me, as I won't step foot in the 'other' board on this site.

/edit

Silvanus said:
Absolutely, and in a sense it can almost be called a side-effect of human nature - and I'd say there's an element of universality to it as well.

A busy commuter in 2016 can precisely and intimately relate to Marcus Aurelius' writing almost two thousand years later. Societies and civilisations change and evolve, but human nature has arguably remained the same force it's been for ages, at least in terms of the big questions about existence and purpose/meaning. Art could be said to be brazen testimony to that.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Siege_TF said:
Saelune said:
When its actually well done, sure. Though the best way to do it is to just do it and don't make it a big deal *cough*Ghostbusters*cough*.

By normalizing things, you remove the stigmas surrounding them. I'm sure plenty of young lesbians will cite Adventure Time and Steven Universe as making them feel ok about being gay. (I'm sure some gay boys too, but still).

The thing is though, the best examples of progressiveness isn't usually so obvious. It just is, because they just make a good character who just is this or that. Not to say there cant be any focus on it, but it needs to be organic and genuine.
And yet critics like SJW Bob claim that movies like the Alien Quadrilogy aren't progressive just because they have a strong female lead, because Ripley is just a person who is female (and to hell with Newt). There is literally no pleasing these people, so don't bother trying, just make the best production you can.
Trust me, I hate when people say "but these people will complain". Something that's been used against me in a bunch of arguments of late.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
erttheking said:
Treating them the same way straight white men are treated? Yeah, uh, no.
So basically when it comes to storytelling you're against characters being treated equally in stories?

Everyone except the lead has a good chance of not making it through? Then make them the lead...extremely simple solution. People complaining about equality want TRUE equality. Not "we're treating you the same way as everyone else, except not really."
See the problem is treating everyone the same IS equality no matter what those who want all the positive without any of the negative tell themselves. It's like the vote and the draft, wanting equality means you get both.

Only 3% of the population is gay? Only 50% of the population are male, but that doesn't reflect in shows, where the cast is often more than 50% male.
That's not exactly how the math works (not that you didn't know that) because when it comes to certain roles in a story many are ones that lend themselves to being a male or female led role just by their very nature. I said it before already but you couldn't make Generation Kill with a female cast and you couldn't make Sex and the City with a male one.

It's well within the realm of possibility to have enough LGBT people in a show so that it wouldn't be cut in half if a single one dies
That's true, but it's also true that no one could reasonably force them to not have such a level of representation in works. After all as it stands gays are overrepresented in American television. So much so in fact that many think they make up a full 10% of the population, over 3 times the entire LGBT population. Though on an unrelated note people also seem to think there are almost 3 times as many African Americans as there actually are (33% instead of 12% of the population) so I suppose people just aren't good with numbers.

Well then it's a no-win situation. Still doesn't stop it from being the latest entry in a very annoying trend. That's kind of how it works, it doesn't matter what was going on behind the scenes. Dale in the Walking Dead died because the actor left in protest. It didn't stop his death from being Carl fuckup #14.
You brining up Dale actually only reinforces the point that people only seem to make an issue out of it when it's a gay character, so the complain actively opposes gay characters being treated like actual characters due to backlashes such actions have. The only way to win, is not to play, which is why I foresee there will be less gay characters on television in the years to come.

Oh you're bringing psychology into this? Then I'm going to have to ask for a citation on that one. Because that claim didn't sound very scientific. Not to mention rather inaccurate, henchmen are not ALWAYS men, even freaking Assassin's Creed had female goons recently. I don't remember anyone talking about shattered suspension of disbelief then.
I think you need to go back and read over what I said if you think that relates to suspension of disbelief, as it never even touched upon it. What it relates to is our ability to see people as disposable unnamed minions, which is, due to human psychology, easiest when you take a man, cover his face, make his eyes otherwise obstructed and you suddenly have a disposable person. Can it work with women? Sure, but it's far easier to use men because no one will complain about faceless men being offed during an attack by the heroes. The only real exception is when the hero has a no killing rule like Batman, but it's not because of who he's killing that the problem arises.

Men in combat roles is the universal role? I feel like all the women who fought over the course of history beg to differ. Such as shield-maidens, Onna-bugeisha, and the hundreds upon hundreds of examples of women either fighting in armies or leading them.
Before the interwar period saw civil wars and revolution across Europe, women in combat was incredibly rare outside of nobility in the role of generals. Hell, you used only two examples out of supposed hundreds, and one of them isn't even real (shield-maidens. There is no evidence they existed, and the excavation that found a single women buried with a shield had the very people who did said excavation openly state such when feminists tried to pretend their findings meant women fought for the Norse. Something that not only was there no evidence to support, but the single body turned out to be that of a man upon investigation. This lack of physical evidence coupled with no records of battles means that while there isn't negative evidence disproving it, there's no evidence to support such a history anomaly). Even today in our enlightened world the only countries that have more then 10% of their armed forces be women (with even less of them being put into combat roles) are the ones with universal conscription like Israel.

It was odd to see women fighting in Star Trek? Uh. No it wasn't. The Enterprise-D had a female chief of security. And she died. TWICE!
As someone who has spent time in the armed forced of my country, I honestly take offence to the notion that a security guard (even the head of them for a ship) is being honestly compared to front-line infantry. Your other examples aren't particularly good, but this one is insulting.

Men are not from Mars and women are not from Venus. We are taught to act in different ways
We instinctively act in different ways from birth, the socialization only adds to that. We've seen it time and again with studies on infants too young to be influenced by socialization acting differently to similar environments based on whether they where male or female. While there are some things that are the result of socialization, people (especially the non-sciences) have massively overestimated how much of it is that and how much is instinct.

Men are inherently more stoic then women, which requires socialization to actively change that (ironically enough). The term "women are from Venus, men are from Mars" stems from the reality that men and women have differences that are inherent to us, to the point where the male and female brain is something we're actually starting to see the difference in terms of being able to tell which is which with a scan (which will make separating trans people from people with chemical imbalances quite easy in the future, which will makes things easier for everyone involved but that's another topic for another thread).

So in short fiction, the world of infinite possibilities, is too narrow minded to escape the limited social structures of reality, ignoring those who deviate away from it? That's sad. That's sad and pathetic.
You know, the most ironic thing about this is the fact that it's progressives who pushed for it in the first place. It's the left in Hollywood who has always pushed for realism, for entertainment to reflect reality (though being art it will imitate reality to an extent no matter what people do) while the right pushed for true escapism. It's funny how things turn out.

How do you establish someone as gay without it being hamfisted? And in a way that there's no ambiguity of them being gay?
Well given how I'm a stickler for dialogue being similar to how people speak, having them make a passing mention of a partner in a way that doesn't actively draw attention to that specific fact, usually not in the first conversation since most people don't talk about that type of thing with complete strangers (gays even more so then most). Agents of Shield did it well with Joey Gutierrez.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I voted 'No' before I remembered what it used to mean. So let's say this: With the average garbage nowadays; no. Back in the day when Alien for example was released, yes.

So, basically it comes down to if it's done poorly out of a reaction, then it's shit on top of shit. And nowadays, people managed to make me even question 'progressive' pro- and antagonists, which is pretty big for me. I even started to question my own works if I've done this and that only because some certain people whispered in my ear. But then I discard this because I sometimes literally roll a dice for such unimportances such as gender, race and sexual orientation if it's not important in context, which it super rarely is.

@ erttheking

I don't mean to intervene, but women in combat roles were incredibly rare in history. On every continent and in every time period.

You could make the case for modern armies, though. For example the Israeli or Kurdish armies.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Silvanus said:
Josh123914 said:
Nobody's saying that. Nobody, and all it does is mean that when somebody responds they have to spend another paragraph trying to explain why that isn't the case to you.
That's true. However, if a gay character mentions their partner's gender just in passing, then very frequently people will accuse the creator/show of tokenism, or pandering, or what-have-you. The effect being that the gay character is censured for doing precisely what straight characters do all the time.
Yeah that sucks, true, but part of the Cortez problem is just poor writing. I had the same grievances whenever Thane's characteristics were centred around his heterosexual grieving.
It isn't natural for somebody in their first or second conversation with you to go into detail about their love life and get emotional about it, and Bioware is in the exact genre of videogames where the dilemma of time or interaction constraints traditionally found in the medium are nowhere to be found.
Pluvia said:
Josh123914 said:
I don't know about you, but this;
So beware writers of gay people! You're not allowed to mention you have a spouse if people ask about it or it's "laziness" and "nothing at all like we see in most entertainment"! Wives and husbands are never mentioned by straight people ever!
came off as condescending. Nobody's saying that. Nobody, and all it does is mean that when somebody responds they have to spend another paragraph trying to explain why that isn't the case to you.
Pfft, please. In a wave of posts talking about how terrible it is when a gay person in media happens to mention they have a spouse, I highly doubt the most offensive thing is the person that ridicules that argument. We're not here to hold hands and sugar coat it for the people that talk about how bad gay characters are.

And we're going to have to disagree with what was said. There's quotation marks in my paragraph for a reason.
I never said it was the worst thing said in the conversation, I'm saying is that talking down to people doesn't reflect well on you.
Cortez isn't well written because he's just a tool, a tool who's place was taken before by EDI who just auto-piloted the landing ship for you. I can probably count with my fingers the amount of times I as a player had input on what Shepard told him in his taxi scenes, something that you really couldn't say about previous games when it came to tertiary characters on the Normandy.
In this paragraph you're complaining about not being able to choose what to say to him in some situations, which I must stress never included anything about sexuality. You're laying a wide blame on Cortez for some reason, but it's irrelevant anyway.
I'm emphasising how, in the taxi scenes, he's not a character you have much say in. EDI could have comfortably filled all the info he brings to the table as she had done in the past.
I've been given no reason to care about Cortez at all and have no experiences with him as a player except to help him finish grieving. Again, I don't understand why they felt the need to introduce a new character for this, when his job could have been filled by somebody else we as players got to know before, and look! There's a crew member you'd be more inclined to care about (Vega) blatantly missing anything in this department.
In this part you're complaining about him being a new character, despite the multitude of new characters introduced, and saying that Vega should have had his story instead? All, again, irrelevant to his sexuality, yet here he is getting the blame.
Thank you, his problems go beyond his sexuality. His sexuality is one of the few developed aspects of his character, which is why I suggested rolling that into somebody else where such characterisation was lacking.
Your bit at the end misses the point, and presumes that's the catch-22 I want. I don't. Making it very simple here, I think its poor writing to make a character's one memorable characteristic be their sexuality. That's why I voted No in the poll, and why I like the ensign (Traynor, btw), and like Kaiden, their sexuality is just another piece of their character, and isn't given a disproportionate amount of time. Fixating on what makes characters different as the poll proposes, rather than just accepting and acknowledging those differences is a mistake.
AND! This isn't exclusive to Cortez, fans gave Thane tonnes of shit because there was little interaction in ME2 for him beyond his dead family, and that was a hetero relationship, so its not like Cortez would get a pass if he lost a wife or something either.

Re-reading it, your last bit is further wrecked when you consider that nobody would have this reaction if it was James Vega, or introduced in ME2 with Jacob, because those characters have more going on than just a dead spouse.
So the best gay characters are the ones with no subplot and the one that can be dead before the game even starts? That everything Cortez is known for, his love of ships and piloting skills (which come in handy in many action scenes) is all irrelevant because he's just the gay one?
....What? Are you even reading my posts or did you just want a quick jugular punch? Traynor is new and iirc immortal, and had a good subplot since if you're female the romance takes place after you've become friends and evidently enjoyed each other's company-- arguably one of the most straightforward and best ones in the series, considering most relationships don't begin with a gunfight, or playing therapist to your partner's family issues. If I truly wanted the subplot gone I wouldn't be suggesting numerous times to shift it somewhere where its needed for a relevant companion.

And yeah I suppose being a good pilot, and being enthusiastic about it is some characterisation, but that's his reason for being on the ship, that's ground level writing that you then build on top of. Unfortunately they don't do that except in relation to his husband.
The game needed either less characters, or more dialogue. As it stands Cortez has barebones writing, and it shows.
Literally lose/lose for gay characters. The best ones, according to you, are the ones that are out of the way with no subplots or the ones that are either dead or never mention it. Because Kaidan briefly probes his relationship with Shepard at one stage, and if rejected just never brings it up or mentions it ever again. Faaaar less than even a brief mention of a husband like Cortez's first interaction.
I'd rather have that than somebody bringing it up in your first conversation so that was how you remembered him by. Kaiden was always supposed to be bisexual, but in ME1 they cut it out most likely because of the Fox News mess btw, so its not like that one was particularly out of the way.
His sexuality never was Alenko's defining characteristic, and I think that's how it should be.
That's what's so tiring. That's what's so tedious. Gay characters will be blamed for things that have nothing to do with their sexuality and will still have complaints about their sexuality, with the pretense, and yes it's a pretense, that they're nothing more than the gay one. Praise comes for the hot chick who mentions she's a lesbian but then stays out of the way and has no subplot, or the dead one who arguably doesn't even mention it when he's alive.
The reason this is so tiring and so tedious for you is because you don't appreciate what I'm saying.

I don't think having a gay subplot is a bad thing (I mean obviously, since I've been giving positive assessments of pretty much every gay subplot mentioned so far other than Cortez), and you were within a hair's breath of touching my actual point there, but pulled away at the last second. I care that the writing in the game in general is subpar, that he could have been melded into somebody like Vega and would have contributed to a much more dynamic and interesting character, but as it stands breaks my suspension of disbelief because they decided they needed a gay person, a black person and a hispanic on the Normandy, so took both and made the result the pilot-- rather than add it to a character that, given what kind of game Mass Effect is, is strangely missing a romance path. Funnily enough, if they had just went with making this the Vega Romance, they still would have filled two of those niches and it wouldn't have felt like such a demographic checklist.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Art can be praised or not praised for just about anything, really. There's no "should" in the equation. What has value depends on who you ask.

This seems to be Sad/Rabid Puppies analogue, though, and in case it is...that's not really a question of "should these things be praised for being these things", it's just a question of a demographic of myopic whiners who couldn't handle their preferences not being validated by awards.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zontar said:
If you hadn't taken that quote out of context, the next sentence would've said that they aren't treated the same as white men, not that I was against it. I'd love to see it happen, but it's not going to happen for awhile. Not true equality anyway.

Yes it is. I look forward to the day when people ACTUALLY start treating people equally. Because we sure as shit aren't there yet. Hey idea about the draft. Instead of having women enlist...how about we get rid of it? Because there's little point in asking women to do something that really men shouldn't be doing in the first place.

That's not how the math works? No I'm pretty sure there was nothing factually wrong about the numbers I gave. They get roles because of their gender? That's called a stereotype, and they very often choke creativity in writing. More feminine men and more masculine women please. Those two shows make up a very small part of the world of fiction. Very few shows are handicapped that way. And for the record, yes you could. If you really wanted to. It's not that people can't. It's that they just don't want to. As a writer I know first hand that there's no such thing as bad ideas. Only bad executions.

Force, force, why is it when it comes to including stuff like this it's always "force"? Like no one could honestly just want to have more than three gay characters? Gay people are overepresented? So are men. Are you saying people should only be represented down to the numbers that they have in the culture they're in? Because you kinda deflected it last paragraph. Make up your mind. Can there be more than 3% gay people in shows, or should all shows have their casts be 50% women. You can't have it both ways. Either the writer can do whatever the hell they want, regardless of numbers, or should be strictly following numbers. Pick one. People aren't good with numbers? I think most writers don't care about numbers. I certainly don't. What, when they're writing a story should they be checking a chart? "Oh no! A fifth of our cast is African! That's not accurate! Make some of them white to make it accurate!" Fuck that noise.

Uh, last time I checked people were pretty fucking pissed about Dale's death. Carl was pretty despised for a reason until he stopped being useless in season 3. Just because you say people do or don't do certain things, it doesn't automatically make it true. And you say "I foresee" except the opposite seems to happen. Why? Because writers aren't cowards who buckle and run back to their hidey holes at the first sign of criticism. Frankly I'm insulted you think so poorly of them.

No no no. You keep bringing up human psychology. You cannot just claim whatever you want about human psychology. You claim that it's easier for us to see men as expendable soldiers? Cite your source on that one. Otherwise I can claim that men only view women as a source of sex because of human psychology. I cannot just claim that without citing a source.

Civilization existed outside Europe. Just because Europe never did it, doesn't mean that everyone else followed suit. Also you said that men fighting was "universal" and now you're shifted into saying "It was rare for women to fight." You're moving the goalposts. No evidence? Because this archeologist says it looks like there were at least some. Not large communities of them, but some.
http://www.tor.com/2015/06/08/viking-warrior-women-did-shieldmaidens-like-lagertha-really-exist/

Only 10%? Well I have to say, even with 90% of men in a combat role, that's still 10% short of universal. What you said. There's also the fact that limiting fiction strictly to what is based on society is the mind of a narrow minded writer. Infinite possibilities and this is the best we can do? Come on.

For Star Trek it is! I've watched TNG and DS9, and security officers are the ones who are expected to fight when there are boarding parties, pissed off Klingons, the Dominion and the goddamn Borg. Starfleet does not have a standing army. Security officers fill the role. I find it ironic that you accused me of not playing Mass Effect when you seem to keep missing basic facts about how Star Trek works.

You just shot your own argument in the foot. Socialization. The nurture part of nature and nurture. We're taught to act certain ways. Are we total blank slates that can be molded into anything? No, but we're a hell of a lot more flexible than you give us credit for. Inherently? I'm living proof that that's a blatant falsehood. I was never good at keeping my emotions bottled up. And that's something that's taught. My dad was always telling me to man up whenever I got sad and was expressing sorrow openly. There's nothing inherent about it. There are some differences, but we're not two different animals. I'll say it again. We're a lot more flexible than you give us credit for.

Did you not see the part where I said I don't care about Hollywood and that I think they're all idiots? Because my viewpoint on that has not changed in the last 24 hours. Funny? Not really. I think if there's something we can all agree on, it's that the elite of society are very disconnected from the common people. In Hollywood that's just as, if not even more, the case.

...He idly mentioned that he had a husband. He was not actively drawing attention to it. The way he said it it was almost like an afterthought. Also the stranger was his commanding officer, not someone he had just met on the street, and it was a living legend. Gays even more so than most? Yeah. In the early 21st century. The last 22nd century is different. Because while you keep saying that society shapes fiction, that's only the groundwork. I'd like to think that 170 years in the future, gays would feel more comfortable being open.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Naldan said:
I don't mean to intervene, but women in combat roles were incredibly rare in history. On every continent and in every time period.

You could make the case for modern armies, though. For example the Israeli or Kurdish armies.
I'm not arguing that they were common, I'm arguing that they existed and that there were "classes" of women warriors.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
erttheking said:
Naldan said:

I'm not arguing that they were common, I'm arguing that they existed and that there were "classes" of women warriors.
But Zontar said the same thing in the paragraph you referenced to, right after the sentence containing "universal".
Zontar said:
The only times in all of human history a noteworthy number of women where used in direct combat roles was when nations where literally fighting in their final days for survival. Before industrialization it was so rare that any occurrence of it was covered extensively in writings because of how unusual it was.
But he can speak for himself. I meant to emphasize that due to the very hard, unorthodox training women had to go under because of their average weaker bodies and 'well defined roles in society', they were almost non-relevant in direct combat. That's where this stereotype of men fighting comes from, because it's 90% embedded in history. Nowadays and refering to science fiction with guns, it is way less relevant than it was, though.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
erttheking said:
...He idly mentioned that he had a husband.
Not only that, but he only mentioned his husband after the player directly questions him on his family. The dialog option is literally "family".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Naldan said:
Except I pointed out that that wasn't true. The Onna-bugeisha were not formed when Japan was fighting for survival, and neither were shield-maidens.

Yeah, but still we did a lot of stupid things in history and I don't see that holding us back in fiction the way he's arguing. It is unrealistic for there to be so many women warriors in Skyrim, but then again there's not a single damn realistic thing about that game. The same way we don't have a problem with magic in fiction despite outcries against witchcraft having happened not too long ago.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Yes and no. Ideally they shouldn't have to be, but when a story has progressive writing in a medium that is notoriously lacking that sort of thing, it should be praised in that regard. Case in point, Oglaf has a very progressive outlook on sex positivity and inclusiveness, which is commendable when you consider that the high fantasy genre is notoriously hetero-normative and sexist. If high fantasy wasn't that way, it would then be weird to compliment Oglaf on such a fundamentally basic quality.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
They should be praised when doing it if it's done well, in that it doesn't feel like a shoe horned attempt at making a character gay just for the sake of it.

Like in The Division, the Doctor at one point kinda goes out of her way to point out she has an exwife completely unsolicited.

But stuff like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Clarence? Fuck yeah. Cause when it's done well, it does it's jump of presenting a more complete world and not just being a checklist.

Hell ya know what I thought was more progressive about Adventure Time? Finn doesn't get the girl. In fact he gets his heart broken quite a bit, and they show the proper way how someone should deal with that in a very healthy way and god damn it if that isn't something I wish I had seen as a child.