Poll: Should the Fallout setting go European (or anywhere else)?

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
SgtFoley said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Bethesda took random things, but didn't bother checking what they were.

"OH GREEN STUFF! ADD THAT."

"OH ENCLAVE! ADD THAT!"

1. FEV was at mariposa/West Tek ONLY. Order by the US government itself.

2. The Enclave had only the oil rig and navarro.

3. Super mutants shouldn't exist if FEV isn't even in DC.
So despite saying fuck the lore they were still able to make an amazing game. That sounds like a pretty good arguement to try somewhere else or atleast to suggest that you dont have to stay in the US.
You may call it an amazing game but there are many people who would disagree with you.

The problem is that most people who thought Fallout 3 was amazing was because they didn't know anything about the Fallout lore and still don't. For anyone who knows anything about the history of Fallout they woud know that many of the things in Fallout 3 were just plain wrong...that's a fact, not subjctive.

Things like Mothership Zeta, it was clearly stated by the original developers and in New Vegas that aliens do not exist in the Fallout lore.

Fallout: New Vegas managed to be an amazing game and keep to the lore and established canon.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Things like Mothership Zeta, it was clearly stated by the original developers and in New Vegas that aliens do not exist in the Fallout lore.
Are you sure about this? Aliens have been appearing in every fallout game (except maybe NV, am in the process of playing it after having bought it in steam sales) including the first games so assumed they are part of the lore.

Where fo3 might have diverged is when you find hints that the nukes were actually launched by the aliens meaning that it is not the actions of men which has led to the fallout universe, but was caused by aliens.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
SgtFoley said:
Yes but who really cares about that. I knew about enough fallout lore before I played fallout 3 and still found it to be an amazing game and much better then the older ones. Ya some people who played the older ones didnt like the changes they made in fallout 3 but overall it was far better recieved.

While you were busy nitpicking about little things that just were not right the rest of us were not giving a shit and actually enjoying ourselves.
A lot of people, including me.

It's also hard to enjoy a game when the story is that bad and the characters are just so shallow and 2D.

Mothership Zeta was not meant to be taken seriously. Sadly the whole point of that dlc flew right over your head.
So the point of it was that it was supposed to be funny, was it? Because I didn't find it funny, I found it to be a linear and repetitive shoter with no RPG elements, a boring story and even more boring characters.

Even if it wasn't meant to be taken seriously it was still made to be canon, luckily New Vegas retconned it so it isn't as big a problem anymore.

Also it's possible for a DLC to be funny and not break canon *cough*oldworldblues*cough*.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Frankster said:
Are you sure about this? Aliens have been appearing in every fallout game (except maybe NV, am in the process of playing it after having bought it in steam sales) including the first games so assumed they are part of the lore.
In the originals they were easter eggs and they weren't canon, just little jokes. Like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz or the man from scene 24 in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Where fo3 might have diverged is when you find hints that the nukes were actually launched by the aliens meaning that it is not the actions of men which has led to the fallout universe, but was caused by aliens.
And that is by far the most bullshit aspect of Mothership Zeta. Fallout is supposed to be a lampoon of human nature and the things humans are willing to do to get what they want. Humanity became greedy and eventually wars broke out almost leading to mankind's destruction.

Now suddenly Bethesda are telling me aliens did it?

...that is horrible storytelling right there...."aliens did it!"

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
Annexed Canada would be cool (no pun intended).

"This nuclear winter sure makes you wish you were patrolling the Mojave"

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
So doctor who never visited the fallout universe then? Nuuuuuuuuu
My bad then.

100% agree about the "aliens did it" being contrary to the idea of fallout, I like the idea of aliens being regular visitors to earth (only thing i liked about mothership zeta was the signs they had been visiting earth and kidnapping people for centuries) but no more then that, this is a mess humanity dug itself into, not a masterplan devised by an alien intelligence.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
So the European Commonwealth pretty much collapsed during the Resource War and then turned on each other. Given that I should imagine high profile figures within the Commonwealth had personal vaults or at least something of similar design. I reckon that if a Fallout was set in any part of Europe it'd be through expansion from the US or miraculous survivors from underground. Either way the ghoul population would be higher with the absense of Vault-Tec vaults (providing a European competitor didn't exist) and the only pure humans would be descendents of politicians who were smart enough to have their own private shelters.

There'd be no Super Mutants of course, however it'd be easy to shamelessly cry 'Nazi experimentation. It'd be tough and it'd have a very different feel, but I'd like to see it. Whether it's France, Italy, Germany, England or Spain etc. it'd be something new.

Lionsfan1986

Oct 20, 2008
Well I would like to see America one more time maybe see (If I'm wrong someone correct) New York granted all I've really played has been Fallout 3. But if I'm right New York would awesome or even London!

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Oh, oh, oh. I got an idea to bypass the canon problem with Fallout in Europe.

Actually, I am taking ArcanePedro's idea a bit further.

Everything is propaganda, right?
Communications are back a few centuries, right?

So there is no way of verifying that the canon is nothing more than rumours and propaganda! For all we know, Europe never got involved in the war. For all we know, no bombs fell on Europe. For all we know, Europe was not directly affected by the nuclear standoff by only suffered the side-effects of the nuclear Fallout.

Sooooooooooooo, although the US is now a backwater place with strange futuristic/archaic technology, Europe still has electricity, TV, internet, oil, etc. While the US has moved 300 years backwards in time, Europe continued to prosper (apart from the obvious mutations in animal and plant life due to radio-activity) and moved 300 years forward.

So, it's Colombus all over again. In comparisson the technological advance in the two continents is 600 years apart.

Oh, oh, oh! Want to take it even further? Europe was so technologically advanced that they decided to leave the planet and colonize a new one, thus escaping from the turmoils of radio-activity.

So what happens when a new "chosen one" manages, in some fashion, to travel the Atlantic only to find out that Europeans are now Martians, leaving behind them a shell of a world that continued to evolve and prosper and at some very advanced point just got into spaceships and left?

(If there is anyone from the Fallout dev team reading, send me a P.M. and I will gladly allow you to hire me to write the story for Fallout 4).

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
I would like to see it branch out in different directions, but they really haven't covered all of America, there is of course the deep south, like Louisiana, Texas, Florida and all that, or even gone really far north, and they only really touched down with The Pitt and Maryland. So there is really a TON of places Fallout could go, someone just has to think where to lead it next.

Dec 27, 2010
I always felt that the Canadian Commonwealth would be a great setting, but I want to see a post-apocalyptic Ireland. Actually, second thoughts it would probably be exactly the same.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Buy Fallout 3 for PC and download Mothership Zeta crew mod 1.6.

Spoiler coming, not big one though

I´m not kidding on this: You, as the commander of the Mothership Zeta, now named Olympus, have to, in some point, make an alliance with the Russian Soviet Nations, and the Marshall actually tells you about the rest of the world.

Sure, it´s not "Cannonical" but it´s funny as hell.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Fallout 4 needs to go south from DC and let us enjoy the golden comedic nuggets that the American south east can give.