Poll: Should There be Gay Characters in Kid's Shows/Films?

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Exterminas said:
I messed up my quotes

What exactly are the reasons against incestous homosexual intercurse? I mean aside from the fact that most people find it distastefull.
Oh, sorry I thought it was straight incest. Well then scratch the biological part, but keep the moral thing, it just doesnt seem right to do it with someone your related to. I mean if it was straight, but one person was infertile, would that make it right? Not really in my opinion.
I don't think it is morality that keeps us seperated from finding our relatives attractive. I think it is a mixture of our upbringing and a biological imperative.

Since there have been a lot of examples for peroids in history where people did consider incest to be perfectly fine, despite the fact that there is a biological imperative that tells us not to do it, I think the upbringing is more important.

And if we want our kids to realise that homosexuality is nothing dangerous, new or even unnatural we should include it in their upbringing.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Island said:
I believe there shouldn't be ANY sexuality in children films. on a side note i am so tired of hearing about homosexuality, discussing it and so on, i just really don't care, you bore me.
Y'know what's funny? I feel the exact same way about Pokemon, Bleach, Yu-Gi-Oh and all the other anime aimed at children that get all the thread love here on the Escapist. Do you know what I do about it?

I don't enter the threads and I don't post.

But you're talking, and that's good, because it means you're one step closer to accepting who you are :)

Dec 27, 2010
Wolfy2449 said:
BreakfastMan said:
Wolfy2449 said:
BreakfastMan said:
The far more important question, in my mind at least, is why kids shows need to be talking about any kind of sexuality in the first place.
They dont talk about sexuality, many many cartoons(even some for very small kids) have a character fall in love with a member of the opposite gender. That shows sexual orientation, not sexual things. The act of "loving, kissing, marriage is oftenly seen in cartoons and it only happens between males and females.
By adding a few gay characters you ll make ppl more comfortable with homosexuality from an early age so we ll have less homophobics.

The problem is simple though, Homophobic parents will rage when they see something like that on tv

But i guess this thread fails, because most ppl are very dirty and immediately thing that adding gay in a cartoon means sexuality and cocks...
Okay, I kind've get what you are saying. DTJ did bring up a good example that I did not think of immediately when making my post. I guess it just depends on the age the show is going for. I would not want any kind of sexuality in something meant for younger children like Dora the Explorer or Barney and Friends, but something meant for older children (like 10+ or so) could add it if it makes sense.

EDIT: Sexuality was probably the wrong word to use in this post. I mean something closer to what you describe, not actual sex...
Well i dont know the age but doesnt Donald duck love Daisy duck??? Thats for under 10 kids and shows what exactly i mean. Or mickey mouse, for a female mouse. Disney stuff that are for under 10 age kids. its nothing sexual, just innocent love they see in their cartoons
It doesnt have anything sexual, just innocent stuff kids can see. By adding 1-2 gay characters you simply make ppl more comfortable with it
Actually, Disneyland had a "gay" week (I think it was a week) where the same gender mascots could be seen kissing, and homo-sexuals got in at a reduced price. Which was stupid.

Edit: Have found that this was a completely fabricated rumor I heard somewhere, so ignore my idiocy, thanks.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I think they should be in them, I mean children need to learn that they are a part of society. Not that they are as moviebob would say it
"Gays are Weeeiird"

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
interspark said:
this has been bothering me for a while, we have a community that is in a largely public agreement that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, and yet, in kid's shows you'll often see male and female characters who are attracted to one another but never those of the same sex? and you can say "kids wont understand that" but i know for a fact that when i have kids, i certainly won't let them grow up under the delusion that only people of opposite genders can fall in love and get married!

so what are your opinions?
My opinion on the subject is quite simply that propaganda aimed at children has gone too far already and we need to dial back on that a lot, everyone seems to want to take the "get 'em while their young" approach with thier message and want it intergrated into children's programming and I don't think that's a good idea, especially on issues like this. It's not just that I'm anti-gay men, as I'd object to someone doing it with an anti-gay message as well.

When we're looking at children's programming, it's aimed at a pre-sexual audience. You really aren't seeing much in the way of sexual behavior at that level, and I think it needs to be kept that way. When your dealing with an older audience, teenagers and late "pre-teens" that's a little differant, however I really don't think it's a good idea to start introducing gay characters into shows like say "Thomas The Tank Engine".

Ignoring my personal thoughts on the subject, since I have no desire to get into a massive arguement on gay rights, or the lack thereof, even if your totally accepting of all kinds of sexual activity, I think it's very important to keep things in touch with reality. Homosexuals are pretty rare overall, despite some attempts to portray it as a major
societal demographic. It's a rare enough state of being where I don't think it needs more treatment than it's already receiving. Right now we already have a gay prescence in a lot of teen dramas and movies aimed at that demographic. That's fine, and shows someone who might be turning out that way that they aren't alone. Any more than that takes what is really a fringe prescence and turns it into something else.

People get offended by the negative way people throw around the word "gay" all the time, or even how frequently the term is used. Honestly I think that part of the problem comes from people trying to make that kind of thing seem a lot less rare than it actually is, which leads to a lot of this backlash. Truthfully I think what the gay rights movement needs to do is back off... a lot. Constant pressure is doing a lot of the damage, and honestly when you start talking about wanting a gay presence in children's shows that's exactly the kind of crap that leads to a lot of the homophobic backlash and provides fuel for the conspiricy theories. Gays already have protection from the law, and a lot of the failings that existed have been addressed, there is a mild media prescence befitting a small group of people. Further pushing is counter productive. I think a lot of the biggest "homophobes" wound up that way largely because of people wanting to push this stuff into their house so to speak, and introducing a "new gay friend" for Barney The Purple Dinosaur is an example of the kind of thing that irritates people. That's not "we just want to be left alone and do our thing" that's "we want to bring it into your home and wave it around in your face, we want to make sure we are everywhere you go in society,and intergrated into everything no matter what our actual numbers are"... and honestly, that's going to PO people no matter what the minority in the group is or what it stands for.

As I mentioned above, I AM anti-gay men, but I'm hardly on a "God hates them" kick, or some kind of mad exterminator. I doubt you'll like what I think (I'm not going to argue it again right now, as I've done so many times) but you might find it interesting if some of it's still in the back logs. That doesn't have a lot to do with what we're discussing though, because I think the gay rights movement needs to be seperated from the issue of gay rights itself and the actual issues. The "movement" is increasingly more of a political thing about grabbing power than anything else. It's original objectives have long since been met, and it continually winds up pushing for more and more, irregardless of common sense. I am not sure if you TOTALLY made this question up to gauge reactions, or if this is a real issue, however it DOES sound like something the modern gay rights movement would push for nowadays, and the thing to consider is that it's EXACTLY the kind of move that was called ridiculous and paranoid if someone was to suggest that they would ever push for something like this.

Not every anti-gay person is a monster, and not every demand from a social movement is inherantly reasonable.

Simply put, irregardless of where you stand, young children are non-sexual. I don't agree with censoring everything to protect them, but I DO object to aiming politically charged sexual material at them deliberatly. If you must go there, wait until the end of Jr. High (like 13 years old, approaching 14) at the very earliest before you start tossing that stuff out there. That's when kids start to develop sexually, will have those urges and developing identities, and ned to come to grips with it. Little kids who are pre-sexual and don't have those kinds of urges and instincts yet don't need to be hammered with this kind of thing.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I guess my stance on this is that it should not be something to avoid or something not allowed, should not be discouraged from putting openly gay characters in anything. At the same time, should not be some kind of mandate from above execs to 'put more gay-friendly stuff in.. or something' Attempting to change people's opinions, especially with social issues never works if its from the top-down. I think it would be counterintuitive to shove a gay character into any kind of narrative, even for this purpose would only be a few steps above token gay character.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
um no?
or more like, why put sexuality/sexual orientation in a kids show at all?

altho for kids FILMS it seems to be less shoehorned in
but otherwise in any case, it's whatever

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Actually, Disneyland had a "gay" week (I think it was a week) where the same gender mascots could be seen kissing, and homo-sexuals got in at a reduced price. Which was stupid.
A perfect example of the importance of sourcing (dammit, I forgot to copy the link!)

Disneyland does not have a gay week. Gays have organized an annual weekend to attend Disneyland together and celebrate their freedom. The mascots don't make out and there is no price reduction for proving your fuck people of the same gender. But you heard someone say this, which clearly sounds like firebrand nonsense, and you parroted it. Which was stupid.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
To the extent the theme of sexuality should be featured at all - which isn't necessarily a whole lot - then I believe homosexuality should be included as being equal to heterosexuality.

No harm in pointing out that it's far less common than heterosexuality, but I don't see the harm in letting kids of an appropriate age know that two mothers can kiss each others as well, and that there's nothing wrong with that.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
I had gay neighbors when i was young, My mother was good friends with one so i had a lot of 'exposure' (sodding daily mail) to homosexuality when i was younger, so grew up thinking it normal.

I still knew fully well I wasn't Gay, not like seeing gay men made me think "OH GIRLS ARE IKKY IM GAY NOW" Shocking enough children are better than adults at choosing what they want/whats best for them.

But on topic, as long as its not some heavy handed BS then its fine, make it seem normal.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Of course. It will introduce children to homosexual relationships at an early age and will lessen their worries about their sexuality when puberty hits.

PoisonUnagi said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
"Why not?" is a better question. Seriously, what is the big deal?
^Exactly what this guy said. Somebody chuck him a biscuit for being right.
I finally figured out what your avi is and I'm ecstatic about it. Sorry for being off-topic, but I needed to say it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Island said:
Mullahgrrl said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yeah, Why stop now!
Spongebobs not gay, he dates the ladies. there are several episodes where he likes girls, and dates girls. Patrick and Spongebob are just best friends they say it all the time.

Well, out of those characters the only two that are actually gay are both from material aimed at adults. "The Simpsons" being a prime time staple and noteworthy since it was not aimed at children (having started on the Tracy Ulman show actually), and anyone who thinks "South Park" is intended for kids, is exactly the kind of problem that leads to the demands for censorship to begin with.

The rest of the pictures are just characters that are joked about a lot (including He-Man/Prince Adam), it being funny *because* people know it's not true or intended, but with a bit of spin can be made to seem pretty bad.

Now, missing from that picture is "Tinkie Winkie" who actually belongs there, having been one of the few actual contreversies on the subject. He was purple, the color of the gay rights movement, and had a triangle on his head/anetennae. The purple triangle being how the Nazis branded homosexuals being collected for execution during World War II apparently. He also holds hands with other Teletubbies, and carries around a purse which he calls a "magic bag". Not to mention the character's name. The show's creator insisted there was nothing there, relented and admitted there was, and then went back to denying it apparently. For a while the character became a gay rights icon, and you had gays and gay rights supporters hanging little Tinkie Winkie dolls from the rear view mirrors of their cars, although it's since died down... it was a flash in the pan thing.

If you must point to an example that's the closest I think your going to actually find actually being aimed at children, and it's hardly solid because of the waffling.

Burt and Mr. Rogers are no more gay, than they are seriel killers. Jokes have been made about them being both. Heck, for a while it was a pseudo-meme to have pictures of burt inserted into photos with people like Hitler, Stalin, pol-pot, and others claiming that he was really evil and caught in the act.... because he has a sort of malevolent look, it's those eyebrows I think.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
SilentCom said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
SilentCom said:
I don't think kid's shows should have any type of sexual connotations.
Who said anything about sexual?

Introduce two gay men who love each other. How is that different than a man and a woman who love each other? Kids shows don't go into details about what happens between the man and the woman, so why would they with the two men?

Being gay isn't ONLY about sex. It's about relationships. And kids learn about relationships at a very young age (from their parents, guardians, or whatever).

I'm not saying that illustrations of relationships are bad however relationships of homosexual or heterosexual illustrate an intimate or romantic relationship. When I hear kid's shows, I think of stuff like Sesame Street or Dora the Explorer or whatever.
When I was a kid, Sesame Street had Luis and Maria. They spawned a girl named Gabriella.
You could say that was an example of romantic/sexual content if you're a Puritan, but there ya go. It happened.
EDIT: I think we saw Maria preggers, though of course the actress was probably pregnant and they wrote around that. Or I'm remembering wrong.

Dec 27, 2010
funguy2121 said:
A perfect example of the importance of sourcing (dammit, I forgot to copy the link!)

Disneyland does not have a gay week. Gays have organized an annual weekend to attend Disneyland together and celebrate their freedom. The mascots don't make out and there is no price reduction for proving your fuck people of the same gender. But you heard someone say this, which clearly sounds like firebrand nonsense, and you parroted it. Which was stupid.
Right sorry, probably was bullshit, but I cant remember when or where I heard this, and obviously should have checked it up before saying, so consider me shut up.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
No. They should be included in teen shows, though. Things like Lizzie McGuire or Sister Sister or Sabrina.

Edit: Because I don't think any kind of sexual relationship, implied or otherwise, has a place a children's programme.
Characters acting atypically for their gender? Sure. Nothing wrong with that.
Please stop it. This is insulting to everyone's intelligence.
Your personal view of two peoples' love for each other may be base, but it hasn't stopped children's programs from showing them.

Acidian

Jun 16, 2005
Don't most kids at that age hate the opposite gender anyway. I don't think it's atypical that a kid wants to marry his parents when he grows up either. At that age, you aren't realy thinking too much on what is right or wrong in a social context, because you don't realy have a social context, and you don't know what sexuality is either.

If you want to touch on gender issues to kids, then it has to be done in a very subtle way. What I can think of at the top of my head as good examples are Ren and Stimpy, and Dumbledore from Harry Potter.