Poll: Should There be Gay Characters in Kid's Shows/Films?

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
Why should we cater to the 5% or so of people who'd actually care?

Besides, when science has proven that the way a person is raised has JUST AS MUCH TO DO with whether or not a person's gay as genetics. Why should we muddle in a child's understanding by throwing a curve ball into there?

Besides, I'm a firm believer that homosexuality is a SEXUAL PREFERENCE, and this idea that is popularized in the media that it is more than that - a life style choice - is over the top and ridiculous. What you choose to do in the bed has no bearing in the child's understanding of the world.
i think this poll alone shows that a great deal of people care! and homosexual relationships are most certainly NOT all about sex! you do realise that they too have deep and meaningful relationships in much the same way straight people do, right?! all we're talking about here is ensuring that children understand that relationships aren't exclusive to people of opposite genders, as is implied in children's television, which is wrong, unecessary and quite frankly a bit pointless if it isn't to prevent children from learning about homosexuality!

HandsomeZer0

Dec 6, 2010
Well to be honest... No not really. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about gay people (in fact the gay people i know are incredibly nice) its just that most kids shows don't deal with sexuality as a whole. Just dealing with a homosexual side of it in a show say like ben10 or a pre teen drama thing would be more confusing then when they discover where their orientation lies.

Philip Petrunak

Apr 3, 2010
Gay characters should be included, as well as characters that don't conform to other gender norms. How can we raise our children to be accepting of sexual diversity when we keep saying "No, it's bad! You shouldn't be exposed to it." Our words and our actions are completely contradictory.

It's like telling white children that children of all colours are equal and wonder full, then refusing to allow them to be exposed to characters that aren't white. It's a mixed message.

Children imprint much greater on our subconscious actions then our couscous words, and if we are going to be raising them right, we've got to get our act "straight" and include gay characters. Stopping this long trend of casting effeminate men as villains would be a great start.

MrFluffy-X

Jun 24, 2009
HELLS NO!

Some kids already pretend to be gay because 'cool' and different. LOOK AT ME EVERYONE! 2 years later, oh im straight ¬¬ (I have actually met a few of these types of people) If your gay I really couldnt give a fuck, thats probably why I hate the loud obnoxous 'here-they-come-floating-around' homosexuals.

Anyway, most kids dont know they are gay until much later on.
Statisticly the chance of a gay relationship for kids is extremely low, so the shows are just reflecting that, yes? Its like complaining that there was no black scots in braveheart.

Most kids dont recieve sex ed until around age 13 here anyway, so why confuse them?

I say lets keep things simple, natural and innocent for them while we can.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Jaime_Wolf said:
funguy2121 said:
Jaime_Wolf said:
...kids' shows shouldn't have hetereosexuals or homosexuals? That leaves remarkably little room for...well...humans.
I think he's saying that kid's shows (or kiddss'ss shows, as he says) should exclusively feature Andy Warhol (and maybe some eunichs)
...I don't think you mean Andy Warhol. This is the man with such films to his name as "Blowjob" (a film of the face of a man presumably enjoying a blowjob) and the infamous "Blue Movie" (unsimulated gay sex). On top of that, his art is full of gay iconography and and his original work was rejected for being "too openly gay".

Maybe you mean Normal Rockwell? People seem to get the two confused surprisingly often.
No, I meant Warhol, because he was rumored to actually asexual. He would watch others having sex and say "that's interesting" but possibly never engaged in actual sex. Of course, I could be totally wrong. It was a joke.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It depends on what age group we are specifically talking about, but for the younger children I would definitely say no for the same reason that I wouldn't want the concept of "sexuality" to play any part in what my child is watching. There could be an obviously gay character, but only so long as his sexuality is not a concern or a topic for discussion in the show. So I suppose I have an issue with sexuality in children's programming and not so much gay characters.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
As long as it is done right, then yes, by all means. But most likely the homosexual characters would just be stereotypes of overly flamboyant gay males and rough tough lesbians. Why is it that we raise our children to assume men should like women and women should like men? "Oh, I don't believe in homosexuality, and I have the right to shelter my child from anything I want." I hear that crap a lot. It is completely asinine, as anything can offend somebody. Should we have no hetersexual love interests? The sooner we learn to accept the sooner we can all get along.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Sort of. There shouldn't be any overarching sexuality in kids shows, that's not what they're there for, and that's not what kids want to watch.

Nothing wrong with portraying a family where there are two dads, or, even more controversially, more than two parents.

Philip Petrunak

Apr 3, 2010
MrFluffy-X said:
Great. Let's have all the kids be the same sex as well, as well as the same race, and the same clothes. After all, children can't handle diversity.

I mean, Homosexuality is a really, really big concept. The idea that most people like people of the opposite sex, but some like those of the same and others of both. Look how complex that is, how can we ever expect a child to understand something that takes a full 15 SECONDS to explain?

Besides, many homosexuals don't have gay relationships as a kid. They are just like straight kids, and they do the exact same thing heterosexual kids do when they find someone they like: Feel ashamed, outcast, and alone. Why use the media to try and make it any different?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
MrFluffy-X said:
HELLS NO!

Some kids already pretend to be gay because 'cool' and different. LOOK AT ME EVERYONE! 2 years later, oh im straight ¬¬ (I have actually met a few of these types of people) If your gay I really couldnt give a fuck, thats probably why I hate the loud obnoxous 'here-they-come-floating-around' homosexuals.

Anyway, most kids dont know they are gay until much later on.
Statisticly the chance of a gay relationship for kids is extremely low, so the shows are just reflecting that, yes? Its like complaining that there was no black scots in braveheart.

Most kids dont recieve sex ed until around age 13 here anyway, so why confuse them?

Those kids are probably confused about their sexuality. I don't know anyone who goes out of their way to attract prejudice and bigotry. It's not because being gay is suddenly cool...

And while I agree that there should be no sexuality in kids programmes, you can't use the "blacks in Scotland" argument-some kids are sexually active at a young age (you wanna see how young? try this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Medina), and many kids who are gay can start feeling confused while still in the "kids tv" phase of life. There may have been no blacks in Braveheart, but there are thousands of gay people, and many of them can be found out from an early age.

They need to know it's ok to be gay, and seeing as you don't like OTT flamboyantness, you need to create a society where homosexual people don't feel the need to delve deep into a particular scene or stereotype to out themselves.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
interspark said:
this has been bothering me for a while, we have a community that is in a largely public agreement that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, and yet, in kid's shows you'll often see male and female characters who are attracted to one another but never those of the same sex? and you can say "kids wont understand that" but i know for a fact that when i have kids, i certainly won't let them grow up under the delusion that only people of opposite genders can fall in love and get married!

so what are your opinions?
Well considering I've been watching Gurren Lagann and Leeron is by far the greatest gay guy in an anime I think it's be ok to have a gay guy in a kids show.....mind you that Gurren Lagann isn't necessarily a kids show, but you get the idea.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
There should yes, we old gits are mostly ignorant and close minded about it so teach the kids to be better.
But they shouldn't add extra sexual elements just for the sake of making a point, that would just defeat the purpose of it not being a big deal.

wdwyer

Apr 18, 2008
First off define what is considered a "kid show".
Are we talking Dora the Explorer...or iCarly?

Then define male/male and female/female characters being "attracted" to one another in kid shows. Are we talking simply having a character that has 2 dads? Or actually showing a lesbian relationship? I mean we are talking about kid shows right?

Should homosexuality be represented, if the story warrants it. Yes. Simply adding them for the sake of adding them doesn't do the representation anything more than a token gesture. That has been a long standing argument among black actors and actresses for decades.

The Fresh Beat Band has a couple shows depicting a background "dancer" in a wheelchair. On the surface, you think good for them. Then you start to think about it. What's the purpose? Other than to say, "See, we hire people in wheelchairs!" It becomes a token gesture.

I find it hard to think that any form of "attraction" or "sexuality" should be present in any "kid show". As stated earlier...define "kid show". I can see teenage shows, such as iCarly, or Victorious, or [insert tween show here] having a character represented in the story (not just a one shot deal).

But if we are talking younger, as in learning shows like Dora, the character of Boots has always been perceived as gay. Even some simple fun shows like Spongebob...it will come down to how is it represented. In 2002 some wacko Christian groups had boycotted Spongebob because they felt the main character was gay along with a pro-family video (which had zero reference to sexual identity in it) and would make your child gay. Yes, they said that it would make your child gay.

Decades ago (before the live-action movies) it was long held by fans that Velma from Scooby-Doo was a lesbian. James & Jessie from Pokemon always struck me as androgynous (the constant cross-dressing with James as a girl, and Jesse as a boy starts to lean them in that direction). There is even a scene in which Jessie and James show off their female drawn bodies to Misty, (yes, James was drawn with huge boobs in a thin bikini, fondling them).

Shows intended for a bit older and tweenies like Naruto had Haku and Zabuza. Though never directly stated as gay. Haku was intended to have a heavily androgynous appearance and was even mistaken as a girl. Heck, even Naruto himself has developed a power than transforms himself into a hot girl.

Shows like American Dad and Family Guy. Both I would consider not even close to kid shows, constantly shows Roger & Stewie respectively in varying forms of androgynous or metrosexual qualities. Plus a fully intended and now openly gay Xander from Drawn Together even had a story line which he came out of the closet. Again though, not a kid show.

For the kid shows, these are more subjective by fans than actual intended gay characters. If we are leaning towards more of a intended character in a kid show, it becomes harder to find and pinpoint. Waylon Smithers from the Simpsons is the only one that truly comes to mind, and it is still up to interpretation as he has yet to come out of the closet, even though the closet he is standing in is completely transparent. Tinky-Winky from the Teletubies also comes to mind. Snagglepuss from Hanna-Barbera, had qualities that could be considered gay, but never stated. Pleakley from Lilo and Stitch. While cross dressing has been used for decades as comic relief, Pleakley's intended like and want of cross dressing as a female sets off some signals.

There are plenty of gay archetypes and have been for years. The Smurfs have always been stated here. Vanity is the kind of gay archetype commonly presented by the straight entertainment industry, while Hefty and Handy are gay archetypes in the same vein as the Village People, with their extremely iconic masculinity, exaggerated to the point of camp. Don't misunderstand here, i am not calling these Smurfs gay...just gay archetypes. It must be noted that both Handy and Clumsy were shown falling in "love" with different female characters over the years.

Another is Peppermint Patti from Charlie Brown. The only Peanuts girl to have a deep voice, only wore pants (never shown in a dress), very tomboyish playing a mean game of football, and even picked on boys. She always hung out with that androgynous Marcie who calls her "sir" and she always wears comfortable shoes.

It's all in the intention of the story. Gay characters or perceived as gay, can both be useful story telling devices. The trick is to not blatantly add them for no purpose.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Yes, children's shows should show all kinds of relationships. We aren't taking about about sex here we are talking about showing kids the different types of relationships that exist in the world.