Poll: Should they legalize pot?

Swarley

Apr 5, 2010
I'm for it, there are downsides to it like anything else, but it has been proven to have health benefits.
Furburt said:
Plurralbles said:
people want to smoke pot because to them it's cool and edgy.
Since when was giggling incoherently cool and edgy?
First thing I thought of when I saw that comment.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Legalize it then tax the hell out of it just like with alcohol and cigarettes. It'll create more jobs and give the economy a shot in the arm. It will also limit gang activity to an extent as they will be forced to sell harder drugs

edit: I don't smoke, smoke or, drink. I just think it would be a good source of income and a good way to make bring about new jobs

theironbat46

Aug 19, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Legalize it then tax the hell out of it just like with alcohol and cigarettes. It'll create more jobs and give the economy a shot in the arm. It will also limit gang activity to an extent as they will be forced to sell harder drugs
Got any Oregano?!

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
You know, we could put a stop to all crime, if we just abolish all laws.

Just sayin'...

theironbat46 said:
Got any Oregano?!
I was hoping more for Paprika.

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
Another thing I realized about the not being chemically addictive argument,it is psychologically addictive just like chocolate but chocolate doesn't leave you incoherent for a good half hour...it's also addictive in the sense that a large number of people use it to medicate their feelings.People who are psychologically addicted to marijuana tend to let it define all of their activities. Instead of going to see a movie, they need to get high and go to the movie. Instead of going dancing at a club, they need to get high and then go dancing. And so on.

russkiimperial

May 20, 2010
Most drug laws in our country (US) were originally passed out of racist fears towards minorities in the 20s and 30s. As far as research that people claim about pot killing braincells that all goes back to a study done under the Nixon administration where monkeys were forced to inhale nothing but marijuana smoke for 5 minutes at a time. Anybody with even a shred of common sense would tell you that there is nothing that shows that its more harmful than anything else thats already legal right now. I say legalize everything and just let people live with the consequence of their decisions.

Hell, we already allow men and women who are 18 sign up to go to the middle east to get shot at. Why is it too much to let a person decide if they want to smoke a joint? I was under the impression that human beings were born with an innate right to free will.

Mr Scott

Apr 15, 2008
I believe the federal government should legalize marijuana on two basees.

One: To un-demonize it. In conjunction with the media, the war on drugs seems to explain away all of the hard drug dealers as junkies who stumbled upon the path to dealing from an encounter with pot.
Two: Statistically marijuana contains less lethal additives than the average cigarette, and is linked to less fatal car accidents than alcohol.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Yes(you do not have to smoke it you can boil it make a oil that you can easily add to drinks and food) and simplify the rules and taxation of selling whine/whiskey,ect to while you are at it.

You get a permit(that you have to take a class for,it shows you have the knowledge to produce alcohol/weed) and license(that you have to take a class for,that you understand the rules and how the txes are paid,ect the fines levyed,ect,ect,ect) which come to about 500$ total and have to reup both every 5 years for 100$ a shot and you can sell the junk you make and they get a 25% (cut)tax on what you make, you try and mess with their cut or hide money you lose the license and permit for 10 years.

You will lose the license if you commit a current felony of any kind and can only reapply after 5 years, you get in trouble for selling to minors thats a 2500$ or 5 year hit per head and you will not get you license back until the fine is paid. (the gov should suggest a rpecit and record keeping setup where the last few digits of a buyers ID is kept, this way you can prove you did not screw up, still up to the courts/beer board to decide if you sold OR GAVE to minors or not, so don't you aint got that kinda money).

Also permitted and licensed sellers should literary have a stamp, a ink stamp that is unique to them has their numbers,ect on it and is stamped on all sold or traded goods.

Also I believe that drugs of any kind should be available and easily obtained and er... "used" by people with a medical degree. The more people mess with the chemicals the safer they should become...of corse if they make them worse well...thats up to review of whatever insitute they are attached to and may be held laibale.... then again it may be easy for labs,ect to get anything to study...but I somehow doubt it.....

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
PsychoticForesight said:
...It does in my honest opinion from experience make people stupider...
Please tell me that was planned?

OT: YES! Give me a solid reason why alcohol is legal and why marijuana isn't, and I'll back off.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
theironbat46 said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Got any Oregano?!
I only sell that to people who snort lines of Flour with me

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Furburt said:
PsychoticForesight said:
Another thing I realized about the not being chemically addictive argument,it is psychologically addictive just like chocolate but chocolate doesn't leave you incoherent for a good half hour...it's also addictive in the sense that a large number of people use it to medicate their feelings.People who are psychologically addicted to marijuana tend to let it define all of their activities. Instead of going to see a movie, they need to get high and go to the movie. Instead of going dancing at a club, they need to get high and then go dancing. And so on.
I think you might just be meeting the wrong group of dope smokers. Most I know anyway aren't like that. Obviously, it's a part of their whole way of living, but in the same way that gaming would be for the people on here.

Nah, what you've got to look out for is those types who start smoking it to be cool, and then move onto harder stuff. The bad thing is, they're the loudest about being "Stoners" so they're the common perception.
Woahwoahwoah! Careful with insinuations about gateways and harder drug takers, you might come off as disagreeing with yourself.

To the person you quoted, it's not about 'need' to get high and go dancing, it's about WANT to get high and go dancing. Do you pretty much always drink when you go clubbing? Yes? HMMMMMM.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
PsychoticForesight said:
It seems like on every five youtube videos I watch I see a comment like this "Legalize Marijuana!!! thumbs up for THC!! and RHCP!! Hey oh lets go smoke a bong!" and quite frankly it disturbs me,while there is no severe short term medical consequences(There are a few long term though.)It does in my honest opinion from experience make people stupider,so I was wondering what do you all think?
Well, since you asked, I was thinking that people who make baseless assumptions about something they seem to have had limited exposure to makes people seem "stupider", but that's just me.

Honestly, even counting the pot-heads that were already pretty dim to begin with, the majority of people I've partaken with over the years tend to be quite intelligent. A few of them, many years my senior, have been smoking for decades, and are still some of the most intelligent, thoughtful, and rational people I've ever met.

I also like to consider myself fairly intelligent. Low-level genius, even. Now, I've been smoking cannabis for well over 9 years, and any IQ or intelligence tests I've taken since then have only gotten better.

Do I attribute this to the cannabis? No, of course not. But I'm quite certain that it does not make you "stupider".

I could go into a huge tirade as to why I believe it should be legalized, but I won't bother. It's all been said, and it's constantly ignored by those in power, along with the general non-partaking populace.

I just hope Cali can set a precedence, so that I might one day live in the future where people who are using a harmless (and in fact, beneficial in some cases) drug, are not thrown into a dangerous jail cell, for chunks of their life, with the fervor usually reserved for someone who just robbed, raped or murdered another person.

Pokenator

May 5, 2010
To be honest I believe they should legalize most drugs just for the sheer purpose of undoing the criminal groups that distribute them. I don't do drugs at all and generally look down on those who do, but in reality legalization probably won't change the numbers of users (if someone wants to get their hands on something it isn't too difficult) but it will be beneficial in
a) controlling what goes into them (and what they're cut with)
b) taxing them and setting an appropriate price
c) most likely prevent domestic drug dealing related crime
d) take a huge proportion of the funds away from international/ national drug and crime rings, just look at Mexico, if the USA legalized drugs, they would lose a lot of their power.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Pokenator said:
To be honest I believe they should legalize most drugs just for the sheer purpose of undoing the criminal groups that distribute them. I don't do drugs at all and generally look down on those who do, but in reality legalization probably won't change the numbers of users (if someone wants to get their hands on something it isn't too difficult) but it will be beneficial in
a) controlling what goes into them (and what they're cut with)
b) taxing them and setting a, appropriate price
c) most likely prevent domestic drug dealing related crime
d) take a huge proportion of the funds away from international/ national drug and crime rings, just look at Mexico, if the USA legalized drugs, they would lose a lot of their power.
Also, this. ^

I'm glad to see at least someone on the straightedge side has some rational.