Poll: Should UK police be given guns as standard issue?

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
All they need do is but few white phosphorus grenade rounds into the each mob problem sorted and no need of guns just using the same equipment with just ammo upgrade.

Aviyur

Mar 11, 2010
Sleekit said:
tell me how did that deterrent work out for you during the LA riots ?

the UK police police by consent and they have a long history of understanding exactly what that means. they are not an army of government or even the law.

what's happened in the last few nights is they lost that consent because certain groups have no investment in society.

people with an investment in society don't act against it.

this is a political problem not a policing one.
This is a people problem. Not a political issue. You have thugs that are wrecking homes/business/lives for the hell of it. All the while the media is going "oh well why did this happen, was it social? class? job? race? police? or politics related?

The fact is: THEY ARE THUGS. THEY ARE BURNING HOUSES AND PEOPLE'S BUSINESS JUST SO THEY GET FREE TVS/TRAINERS/CLOTHES.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Not guns per se, but a little more protection should suffice. Guns with nonlethal ammo in them (rubber, plastic, beanbag rounds) should do the job, as the guns provide some level of intimidation, and the pain of being hit with any of the aforementioned rounds should hopefully be enough to put someone down without sending them in the hospital (too often).

As for the case of the riots going on, fire hoses and CS gas, I guess.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I wish that making threads about this was a ban-able offense, the reasoning is always the sane and the answer goes along with it:

NO!

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Gaiseric said:
Gudrests said:
Gaiseric said:
I'm all for guns(NRA!), but the UK is different and their police not having guns seems to work just fine. If the UK thought arming the police would help I'm sure they would have done it. Besides having lethal force isn't the thing police need during riots and I don't think the police having guns would prevent riots.
Bean bag guns make people think twice before rioting. A few of those into the crowd and well....Guess who is gonna stop doing dumb shit real fast
I was only referring to lethal ammunition.

Bean bags and rubber bullets are another story.
That is a different story, Here in the states we will not fire on rioters with real bullets....We also have one hell of a demanding presence when it comes down the the police force in most states. Only LA riots here and.....like they plank in the middle of the street and shit its dumb. What really needs to happen is a major city like that should have seen "White cop shoots black guy" no matter what the black guy did.....thats a race riot waiting to happen. That and have you ever seen the tazer turret?....shoots like 100+ tazer needles at once... :)

Smagmuck_

Aug 25, 2009
In times of Civil Unrest, I believe most Patrol Units of British Police should be issued Semi-Automatic, MP5A3's with Rubber bullets and Tear Gas Grenades. Failing that, issue them a 3rd of a clip of 9mm rounds. If THAT doesn't work, bring in a special reaction team armed with Military Grade L85's, and shoot to incapacitate, and further shoot to kill if the target continues. It's blunt, but it should get the point across to Twats who riot because they can.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Gudrests said:
That is a different story, Here in the states we will not fire on rioters with real bullets....We also have one hell of a demanding presence when it comes down the the police force in most states. Only LA riots here and.....like they plank in the middle of the street and shit its dumb. What really needs to happen is a major city like that should have seen "White cop shoots black guy" no matter what the black guy did.....thats a race riot waiting to happen. That and have you ever seen the tazer turret?....shoots like 100+ tazer needles at once... :)
Those things are pretty damn awesome.

I remember seeing a show on the History Channel where they showed that. I also like that microwave gun, the super slippery goo that can stop cars, and the paintball guns that shoot the horrendous smelling stuff. I don't know if they have been finished or adopted into use yet though.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Please tell you you are trolling. You do know what originally started the London crisis, right?

crazeekamikazee

Jan 6, 2011
The day that they give our police guns is the day I turn in to a hardcore anarchist, my guy fawkes mask would be straight on.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Aviyur said:
Sleekit said:
tell me how did that deterrent work out for you during the LA riots ?

the UK police police by consent and they have a long history of understanding exactly what that means. they are not an army of government or even the law.

what's happened in the last few nights is they lost that consent because certain groups have no investment in society.

people with an investment in society don't act against it.

this is a political problem not a policing one.
This is a people problem. Not a political issue. You have thugs that are wrecking homes/business/lives for the hell of it. All the while the media is going "oh well why did this happen, was it social? class? job? race? police? or politics related?

The fact is: THEY ARE THUGS. THEY ARE BURNING HOUSES AND PEOPLE'S BUSINESS JUST SO THEY GET FREE TVS/TRAINERS/CLOTHES.
That's a very easy answer, isn't it?

"They're a thug. That's what thugs do."

Do you know how much looting went on after all the chaos in Japan recently? A damn sight less than has happened in a few days in England. That's a societal problem, a political problem, a cultural problem. People aren't born 'thugs' and 'not'. People become them.

OT: No. Guns would make people fear the police, not respect them. We need better police training, there are divisions which have guns and deal with guns as it is and giving the average bobby the power to wipe life out of an individual by pointing at them and flexing a finger will inevitably lead to more issues of this size.

The police aren't the army of the law.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I work in public safety in the States and I think it is absolutely insane that UK officers don't carry firearms. Good luck enforcing the law when all the criminals are better armed than you are. Every officer in my town has their sidearm, an M4, and a shotgun. It doesn't mean they ever get used but they should have access to them.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Wait are you proposing to just give them the firearms? Oh God no, you have to be trained with them first. I would have no problem if they were given more rigorous and thourough training and THEN given firearms. Think of them like cars or motorcycles. If you don't know how to use one and take care of one, you really have no place in owning them in the first place. Looking throughout the world, if everyone had a better understanding of firearms and was given better training with them, then there would definitely not be as many accidents due to them being mishandled.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Clive Howlitzer said:
I work in public safety in the States and I think it is absolutely insane that UK officers don't carry firearms. Good luck enforcing the law when all the criminals are better armed than you are. Every officer in my town has their sidearm, an M4, and a shotgun. It doesn't mean they ever get used but they should have access to them.
67 police officers killed by gunfire in the past 111 years. 6 of those since 1990. The armed response units do a good enough job. Guns are no where near as prevalent in the UK as they are in the US, so while it may make sense for them to be armed there, it isn't necessary here.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
miketehmage said:
The reason I'm thinking of this is because of the riots, police are unable to act effectively because the country removes power from them when people are able to sue for police brutality.

Our police are equipped with pepper spray and big sticks.

Lets look for a moment at our American cousins... Oh wait, guns and tazers.

Police in this country are simply taken as a joke, and it's not their own fault, it's because we won't allow the use of proper equipment to act as a deterrent.

From what I've heard the riots started after a peaceful protest which occured because a criminal was shot by a police officer. (After shooting at him first I've heard)

If that's the case then good, hats off the the officer. I want to shake his hand. What the fuck country do we live in where someone can shoot at a police officer and people don't expect there to be repercussions for it?

Fuck that. And by the way, I'm saying this from Scotland, so I'm not even near the riots, but I know that if it started here, we wouldn't be doing any better. It'd be the same bullshit.

Edit: I'm aware that arming the police wouldn't stop the riots, (And of course I don't expect them to fire upon people rioting) but it would make people think alot harder before they burn innocent's houses down.

Also, I know our gun control is really tight and that's great, but why can't we maintain that control, ASWELL as arming our police force?

Double edit: Allow me to clear this up, as I think most of you think I want the police to use firearms against the riots, which is not at all what I want. The riots are simply what got me thinking of the police force overall.

Also people are saying that we have special armed police units that are very effective. And that's true, but do they get called in before or after an unarmed police officer with a family waiting at home is gunned down?
Has OP heard of kettling? Do you know what it means? Your police probably aren't any less corrupt per capita than ours.

the_unseen

Jun 18, 2009
dont know if im the only one who picked up on this but how did the police officer shoot the suspect if he didnt have a gun?

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
And that is how you defend your property.
i know it's a dilemma, but owning a gun should be more dependent on an extensive social prognosis (concerning education. police records, job situation)than it is in the usa (or at least some states)

it should be clear that those guys in the vid (even if they are trying to defend their property) aren't making the impression that they are careful and responsible weapon owners who are aware of what they are doing...

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
theflyingpeanut said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
67 police officers killed by gunfire in the past 111 years. 6 of those since 1990. The armed response units do a good enough job. Guns are no where near as prevalent in the UK as they are in the US, so while it may make sense for them to be armed there, it isn't necessary here.
I can accept that. There are some guys I've dealt with in our town that had more guns than our whole Police Department.

Dominic Burchnall

Jun 13, 2011
Should UK officers be better equipped, with tasers, flashbangs and the like? Definitely yes.

Should UK officers carry firearms as standard? No. subsequent escalation would most likely lead to more unlicenced firearms on the street, and subsequently more shootings. Also, carrying a lethal weapon can be provocative, and at the moment that's exactly what we don't need.

Should be bin the huge quantities of red tape our police have to struggle through to make an arrest and get a conviction? YES, YES, YES.

talideon

Mar 18, 2011
Arsen said:
Arm the hell out of the police. It's scary that people in ultra-liberal Europe view guns in such a negative, insane light.
I would be *very* careful about making a wild generalisation like that. Some countries in Europe have armed police (Netherlands and Denmark being examples mentioned previously), some do not (the UK and Ireland). Don't expect 'liberal Europe' to have anything near the homogeneous opinions on the matter.

In some countries, having an unarmed police force is essential (yes, *essential*) to the force's legitimacy. Here in Ireland, due to the armed nature of the RIC (the pre-independence armed constabulary), the decision was made to have an unarmed police force post Independence. This helped build up trust between the people and those policing them, something that had been severely eroded by the behaviour of the RIC and the Auxiliaries. Consider that when our current police force, An Garda Síochána, was established, it was patrolling what was still essentially a war zone and they did it *without* anything more than a baton. You're going to respect the guy who can defuse a situation between a bunch of guys who do have guns if he can do it without a gun than if he has to flash a weapon to assert his authority, especially if one of those guys was an officer in the Irregulars during the Civil War and knows where the arms caches are.

There is *zero* correlation between general crime levels and whether the local police force is armed in Europe. None. Arming the police in countries that traditionally do not arm their police with do *nothing* to help crime levels; proper policing, however, does. Countries like Ireland and the UK have good cultural reasons for not arming their police, unlike some of our friends on the continent who do arm their police.

Do I support arming of the London Met, or any of the other forces in these two islands? No, it's not needed and will only help to erode what trust exists between the various forces and the local populations.

(Quick edit: I'm might as well mention that there is *one* armed force in the UK: the PSNI in Northern Ireland, but that's for historical reasons, and there's a not insignificant number of people who would prefer if the PSNI were unarmed.)