Poll: Skyrim: 1st or 3rd person?

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Hey guys, I was wondering if y'all are playing the game in 1st or 3rd person. While Oblivion and Morrowind had a notoriously crappy 3rd person camera, they talked a lot about the camera this time around, saying that you could play the whole game in 3rd person.

I've tried the camera, and I like that you can adjust it to whatever distance you want, but it still feels awkward to fight or interact with objects. I do use it occasionally when I'm roaming the countryside though, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I was honestly hoping for a more natural, over-the-shoulder feel as an option, kind of like RE4.

Kingme18

Destroyer of Worlds
Mar 26, 2011
I started out in third, then about 5 hours in I tried out first and have been doing that ever since.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Third feels very imprecise. The animations are better, but the mechanics aren't different enough to make it feel right.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
As with any Bethesda game, I only venture into 3rd person if I'm looking to murder my enjoyment. I've always been of the theory that if you're going to make a character to look at over the course of the game, put some damn effort into making it shine.

MirkoP

Nov 9, 2011
Glass Joe the Champ said:
I've tried the camera, and while I like that you can adjust it to whatever distance you want, but it still feels awkward to fight or interact with objects. I do use it occasionally when I'm roaming the countryside though, but it just doesn't feel right to me, what do you think?
Always preferred the 3rd person,but everyone single one of these Scrolls games had this issue of huge awkwardness while using that PoV.
It just feels weird.But I'm still sticking to it for the sake of feeling awkward.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
I play in first person all the time, except for when I want to gaze in awe at how badass my character looks.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
A mix of both
That's the way I played Morrowind, that's the way I played Oblivion, that's the way I played the Bethesda Fallouts, and that's the way I'm playin' Skyrim.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
Both, i just love that their both there.

the team at bethesda have always done this(in every gam i played so not many) and i think the ability to shift beautifully lets me as a player observe the scale and intracacy of the world in a way neither view could do in isolation.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
First. Except when rocketing through the air after having been hit by a giant's club.

And in hindsight, it would be so much more entertaining if you could do so while in first person view.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I actually perfer to fight in Third Person, and well do everything in Third Person. Love seeing my characters animations.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
In battle? First. When sneaking up on a target/traveling? Third.
This. I often spend time just oogling my character in third person as well whenever I get cool new gear.

I also 'take a picture' when I save my game with the third person camera.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Jove said:
King of the Sandbox said:
Kopikatsu said:
lol awesome! I thought I was the only one :p.
Nope. lol

I'll often spend a minute or two trying to get the perfect shot before saving as well. I'm kind of a character design/creation nut and I think of my save photos as real photos.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
MirkoP said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
I've tried the camera, and while I like that you can adjust it to whatever distance you want, but it still feels awkward to fight or interact with objects. I do use it occasionally when I'm roaming the countryside though, but it just doesn't feel right to me, what do you think?
Always preferred the 3rd person,but everyone single one of these Scrolls games had this issue of huge awkwardness while using that PoV.
It just feels weird.But I'm still sticking to it for the sake of feeling awkward.
Of these ELDER Scrolls games! Don't go throwing around the word Scrolls in this context! You'll get Mojang into more trouble!

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
Kopikatsu said:
This. I often spend time just oogling my character in third person as well whenever I get cool new gear.

All of the above. I use third-person quite a bit when scouting out an area, since I'm a very stealth-based character. But then I obviously need first person for the bow.

photographerleia

Nov 9, 2011
I don't see the point of worrying about what your character looks like, and what they are wearing, if you aren't going to bother using third person so you can see them. I explore in third, but will shift to first to fight and to select things or interact with shopkeepers. As with previous games, it's all too easy to accidently steal items in third person when you are trying to talk to people over the counter.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
First most of the time, I was even annoyed that I couldn't go into first riding a horse. But I do use third to admire my armour.