Poll: Skyrim Kinect

KinectFAAST

Dec 4, 2011
What I am posting here is essentially a response to Cliff Bleszinski's (of Epic Games) recent comments that he would like to see a Skyrim utilizing the Kinect where you could "cast my spells using my hand". (Cliff's interview covered by OXM: http://bit.ly/tLHIaY)

What I have done is tried to create that exact experience he is describing. Using the Kinect and Skyrim on PC, I have made it so you can use both gestures and voice to control your character.

That means swinging your arm to slash your sword, casting spells with your hands, and thrusting your arm forward to block with your shield.

This also means Dragon Shouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83wzJwrBK0

Of course there is going to be those who simply do not like the idea of motion gaming. There always will be. But for those, who like Cliff, want to see Kinect functionality taken to the next level. This may be the starting point.

Cheers,

KinectFAAST

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I like the idea of adding Kinect on top of Skyrim, but not as the main control, I mean like side things, like let's casting or equipping spells with your voice would be absolutely badass, maybe a move of the hand for certain interactions, IDK but as the main controller for the game, I think it would get annoying really quickly, so I say don't make it completely Kinect but some Kinect compatibilities would be pretty damn cool.

KinectFAAST

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, one of the most frequent comments is that people would like to be able to use the voice control alongside their keyboard/mouse setup or with their controller. I'll be honest, I couldn't play like that for hours on end, it's actually a bit of a workout. But, it's so fun in smaller doses! What do you figure, voice only or using the Kinect as well?

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I'm gonna be honest. I kinda like it. Not as something imposed upon me at all times but to try a little every now and then, a nice toy.

Mariner

Sep 27, 2010
Personally I'll wait for the gaming system where you are plugged in via matrix style.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
If I used that playing Skyrim, I'd be dead by now. I've already put almost 200 hours in.

Neat, but impractical.

KinectFAAST

Dec 4, 2011
@RisingBlade Well, I can't guarantee you won't look silly, but I will say it can be a workout. I've had a few hour long Skyrim Kinect marathons and by the end of them i've broken more than a sweat.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
That way looks slow, bulky, uncomfortable, embarrassing, and inefficient.

That said, if I could play it sitting down with a xbox controller and just use my voice to switch weapons or for shouts I might not mind it.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
If only I'm not literally giving commands to the game's UI then I would be okay with it. That's the main problem. The other one is being a human joystick.

I imagine one day we would have these sphere shaped devices that you walk in the world in which is all around you... rather silly of course but how else can you simulate natural movement in 3D space?

Kingme18

Destroyer of Worlds
Mar 26, 2011
I think it looks great, but you're about to be overwhelmed by the flamers that hate on Kinect every chance they get.... Though I'm not quite sure why...

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
for the first time since Kinect I think that the voice commands for dragon shouts (and only dragon shouts) is very cool. shouting FUS DOH RAH at your monitor/tv...

KinectFAAST

Dec 4, 2011
Kingme18 said:
I think it looks great, but you're about to be overwhelmed by the flamers that hate on Kinect every chance they get.... Though I'm not quite sure why...
Yeah, there are a lot of people who are skeptical about the Kinect. I think that with the current lineup of casual games, there hasn't been a whole lot to change their minds either. Then again, some people just don't like the idea of being physical while gaming.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
That's actually pretty cool, but I still don't think I'd use it over a standard controller/keyboard + mouse setup. It just seems more... awkward to do things that way. Perhaps I'd change my mind if the game was actually designed around using the Kinect, I don't know.

One thing that I definitely would use however is the voice controlled shouts, in fact I think Bethesda missed out on a really good opportunity there.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Sorry Cliffy B, I don't plan on standing and moving for 12 hour shifts. That's the whole reason I bought Skyrim and any video game to begin with.

Jun 26, 2010
What about an Elder Scrolls game where your body controlled your character..... So, you walk on spot, and the character walks, control your weapons (and have your own technique), etc, etc.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think it'd be cool.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
I think i would enjoy that. Just a little bit, until the novelty wears off. Of course i think that's true with most kinect games but if there was a magic this will work with kinect button i would press it.