Poll: Skyrim: The Armour complaint.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:
BENZOOKA said:
It's not an issue.

It's not even a problem that appears solely with video game development:

People don't want change. Then they ***** about how nothing has changed.
Gamers will find a reason to complain about anything.

One element of a game changes, you're bound to have a legion of fans screaming that it is ruined forever.

Frankly, I don't think it's significant enough to care.
Exactly.

Mention anything about any gameplay mechanic and I can cook up some crappy excuse on why I could hate it.

Okay. Removing Cardboard boxes from MGS Rising?

THAT WOULD BE STUPID! THAT'S LIKE REMOVING WATERMELONS FROM THAT TOO!

Mass Effect 3 having aliens with different colored hats?

Aliens always seem the same no matter how you picture them!!!!!!!

Armor being welded together in Skyrim?

I honestly can't complain. Who gives a flying shit? In Oblivion I never paid attention to the armor. The heavy crap weighed too much and I hated all armor that didn't make my character look badass. Armor isn't a big deal to me. Just slap on random clothes and knife someone already.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
As others have said it's simply the removal of options that rubs them the wrong way.

This is probably for the best though. There are numerous Greaves in Oblivion that clip through other armour types (Fur greaves clipped through most armours that had tails down the back, like steel or leather).

While I loved the ability to switch up my armour in Morrowind so that I had a bare arm and one fully armoured arm (it has an aesthetic I find appealing), for the most part it served no use (it wasn't practical to train in unarmored and armoured skill sets). Making it so Pauldrons merged with the main body of armour was a sound idea. Smoothing out rough edges and all.

It's not as much removing options, as it is refining the options that work.

People will hate on this game for various reasons. There is no sense in trying to understand why as most of the time it comes down to "they changed what I know"... it's that simple.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I dont mind having a one piece armour but I liked Oblivion because I could wear diffirent pants and torso clothing at the same time, it sounds like they are trying to make it into Fallout NV, you know, one piece clothing (Suit, suits and suits)...but I wont mind this unless they suddenly change it.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
wow is the first time i heard of it
sounds very reasonable decision
i pity the fool for whom this is game breaking

bobfish92

Feb 2, 2011
I've missed having both hands equipped with a daedric wraithguard and a dwemer wraithguard.

Plus I had a Argonian in Oblivion who just went around in light brown linen trousers punching things, and it was one of the best playthrough's I had. Now I can't do any of that, no hand to hand, no trousers only.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
I won't mind if they make up for it in sheer variety of armor you can wear or some armor that really is almost shirtless. That way I can be a crazed nord punching his way through the game no matter how long it takes because unarmed will be a very bad idea to get through game as.

Kelthurin

Jun 18, 2009
mad825 said:
There will be a mod that will undo this *starts praying*

Anyway, the problem is the same with nearly everything these days, Less options means simplifying (streamlining) but does also mean less customisation.

customisation is good in a game like TES as it is one of it's main features of the franchise.
Knowing the modding community, there will even be a mod to undo THAT mod, and then some.
;)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Doesn't seem like much of a big deal to me. I quite enjoyed Oblivion, but this "change" honestly doesn't make me care in any way. If there's anything I want from Skyrim, it's better combat.

Stall said:
Why doesn't Bethesda just drop the act and make Skyrim an action game? It's clear they don't give a shit about RPGs anymore. Can they just drop the pretense already and say they just want to make action games?
BENZOOKA said:
I love how well these two quotes go together.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
BENZOOKA said:
It's not an issue.

It's not even a problem that appears solely with video game development:

This.

Why is Skyrim the cool kid to pick on?

Not enough MW3 to nitpick at?

I dont think Bethesda ever failed me when I bought their games....

If you dont like it...

Cancel your Preorder now....but dont cry and make a fake review on Metacritic on 11/12

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
This reminds me of the Armour models in Warcraft.

When The Burning Crusade was released everyone complained that the quest items looked so differently, so you ended up like a clown at the end of the first zone.

So they tried to fix this in Wrath of the Lich King, by making more similar sets from quests, and everyone complained that everyone looked the same and there wasn't enough variation.

AKA, whiners are going to whine, haters are going to hate and gamers are going to complain.

CatoCaolan

Nov 8, 2010
I see a lot of people mentioning enchanting and stats. I understand where they are coming from, but in the same breath they talk about TES moving away from RPGs. I find it interesting that people consider the term 'Role-Playing' to simply refer to statistics, number boosts, and general efficiency of the character without any thought of actually role-playing.

Personally, I missed the options from Morrowind. But I also understood why they went. It's not the same game. Different design philosophies help to better the game as a whole. Reading the reasons behind removing armor slots from skyrim is a little disheartening, but the game hasn't come out yet. Maybe they have made a more realized world because of the cuts. If that is true I will be happy with the end result. But I cannot judge a product that has yet to be seen.

I loved my Morrowind character. He wore something in every armor slot available. I remember the entire wardrobe off the top of my head, and not a single piece was enchanted. Stat boosts weren't the point to me. Every piece of everything I wore was either won as a trophy, or purchased for a specific purpose.

My oblivion characters all wore an attire fitting to them. But not because of enchantments. Again, everything was worn because it was found on my journey. I never tried to match sets. I never looked for stats. I never even repaired my armor. When it broke, it was time to move on. I will miss the mix and match options. But in truth, if I really missed them that much, I would just go play Morrowind again. I would don my Dreugh armor and try to impose my will over the artifacts I've collected. I would resist the temptation skooma brought and try to keep the sword Umbra from completely absorbing my soul as it has with nameless others before me. I would role-play.

What I wouldn't do is contemplate the statistical benefit of a troll bone helm. Cause that shit's gross no matter what.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
I see no problem with it. The issue is that it reduces character customisation options, but when armour only looks good when worn with it's matching pieces it's sort of pointless having them separate.

Also, armour/equipment/stats don't make a game a Role Playing Game. The clue is in the name and all arguments that Skyrim is going to be an action game rather than an RPG are pointless.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Stall said:
Why doesn't Bethesda just drop the act and make Skyrim an action game? It's clear they don't give a shit about RPGs anymore. Can they just drop the pretense already and say they just want to make action games?
I agree. All real RPGs have the latest and most in-depth pants options available. I mean, Morrowind let you leave your fly open, and that came out years ago!

Black Watch

Aug 9, 2010
I like to have my options, I remember in Morrowind I could have a truly unique looking character and then that started to combine stuff in Oblivion, which I didn't like. Doing this will also cut down on the amount of enchanted items you can equip to your character, which will be an even bigger issue to some b/c enchanting might be someone's key success in the game.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Well it means I have less items to scroll through in my inventory at least. Can't say I'm too fussed about having less armour pieces when there's still more than one piece.

Mark Hardigan

Apr 5, 2010
I really don't care. I cared a tiny bit (emphasis on tiny) that they took spears out of Oblivion, but I've always known Bethesda to make good design choices.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Honestly it was the same system in Fallout 3 and NV and I had no problem with it. I actually prefer those games and played them a great deal more, so it'd be weird if the armour was in separette bits.