Poll: So... did Skyrim meet your personal expectations?

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
It's only crashed once so far, and considering it's a Bethesda game and I'm about 15 hours in that is impressive.
Also, the rag-doll effects on a dragon's skeleton is weird as hell.
Anyway, yes, it's as good -if not better- as I hoped.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
I haven't got i yet, because of an unfortunate delay in the deliverance of my new PC. But judging from the reviews and feedback, it'll probably be about what I expected. Which would mean IT'S THE MOST AMAZING THING GIVEN TO MANKIND IN THE HISTORY OF TECHNOLOGY.

The main concern seems to be the bugs, which are said to be better then most Bethesda games. And since I've never really had a problem with these bugs everyone else talks about in other Bethesda games, I think that'll be fine.

I'll refrain from voting until I play the game myself, of course, but I can't say my hopes have gone down.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
they did pretty good going back to morrowind's roots but.. a couple questions for bethesda...

1. WHY do you insist on giving us less armor pieces and variety with every game? Is it to avoid clipping? Because you fucking FAILED that mission.

2. Why have finishing moves with blood splatters and cinematics.... if there is no gore? You have an M rating, bloody use it.

3. Now not only are kids invulnerable... They can also draw a weapon and sometimes even try to attack you, completely REMOVING the reason to HAVE children unkillable.

4. Give us back Morrowind's enchanting and magic making system! I am getting bloody tired of this obtuse premade BS.. AND you removed the magic making system alltogether.

5. Please... PLEASE... learn from morrowind... and oblivion. Snow and Grassy Forests are nice, but boring on their own, Swamplands look much better now yes, but can you please add a BIT of interesting world features? Part of the fun of morrowind was the many varieties (Even of the same type of area) And blood moon while still a interesting area, was one of the more boring areas.

I mean, to be honest, they blew me away in some aspects. But others just kind of bored me to tears.

Maybe because I feel like I have played Skyrim already... back when it was called Gothic III.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
WhiteTiger225" post="9.322943.13226950 said:
1. WHY do you insist on giving us less armor pieces and variety with every game? Is it to avoid clipping? Because you fucking FAILED that mission.
/quote]
Actually this is so they can have more npcs on screen at once, less rendering or something.

I think thats a good trade off.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I just hope Bethesda brings out a patch that makes your companions catch up with you a bit better, because they really drag their ass on those long treks.
Giving them horses would solve that problem.
SpaceBat said:
Have they fixed the bad pacing, weak storyline, bland and uninteresting sidequests, crappy dialogue and lifeless world?
Though I can't comment on the pacing of the main story that much. I sorta got side-tracked. Again.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
I must say, I wasn't the biggest ever fan of Oblivion, but got on with Fallout 3 quite well.

This has the massive feel of Fallout 3 and all the atmosphere I love from the best sword and sorcery games. It may not be as hardcore as Morrowind, but it's by far and away the best new game I've played in the last few years.

I'm now really glad I built my PC :))

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
/quote]
Actually this is so they can have more npcs on screen at once, less rendering or something.

I think thats a good trade off.
Then let us control these aspects. We have actor fade distance for a reason.

And worse yet, I can't even give a female NPC an outfit without forcing it to be a dress :/ At least giving us the choice with maybe some shears to choose wether to convert the gender of the outfit, or leave it as pants and shirt would be nice.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
My expectations are exceeded somewhat. Between the staggering amount of top quality content- which is amazing in a modern 3D game with all those big associated costs- and the sweet voice actor work (I'm pretty sure I've heard Gromnir Il Khan's VA, among others), I'm feeling all "BG2" about Skyrim; which is the highest praise I could ever level at an RPG.

The terrain, the locations and the great little stories that virtually every one seems to play host to put the miniscule scale of B-rate contenders like Dragon Age 1 + 2 in perspective.

About the only thing that stops Skyrim being the new best RPG of all time for me, and finally shifting the corpse god-emperor of Black Isle from its timeworn throne, is the fact that I don't love its world and lore *enough*, tragically. I'm smitten with the Forgotten Realms, and I think I always will be.

Nevertheless, I can't say "second place" with a straight face. If Skyrim's setting were more to my liking, it'd be number one without question. That's worth at least a tie under current circumstances.

Can't wait for the modders to bring it out of the console dark ages.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
lotr rocks 0 said:
What's your opinion on Skyrim? Did it meet your expectations?
Oh, yes. Very much so.

I don't have a beastly rig, I'm looking at the game as it's running at a fraction of its total potential, and it's still breathtaking. It might crash and the customization options for the controls might be a tad stiff, but it's so much worth it. I'm absolutely in love with the art direction. I never thought I'd find a game that would capture the feeling of being out in the cold, but this one has.

killer12480

Jun 4, 2011
Hm. Let's see. Take a look at the polls. Well, it looks like most people are smart enough to realize that it's NOT Oblivion all over again. I am so sick of people saying that! If it were Oblivion, then it would be called "Oblivion". But it's not because it's called "Skyrim", you ignorant trolls! If you don't like the game, you can say so. But no one wants to hear you whine about the health and the skills and the dungeons and the items and BLAH BLAH BLAH!

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
John the Gamer said:
I like it a lot so far, though I have run into some minor irritations;

1. The UI seems to be ported over from the consoles and is therefore not optimised for PC gameplay, but at least it's playable.

2. The AI sometimes behaves weird(dialogs and movement), but it's still very good for an RPG.

3. It seems the only way to get a bunch of torches is to kill a bunch of guards.

4. The weight limit seems awefully low, but I guess that's what cheats are for :)
\
Unless you keep clinging on to mammoth tusks and dragon bones/skin simultaneosly things don't actually weigh that much as opposed to previous elder scrolls games

OT : The moment me and my whiterun given housecarl joined in on the onslaught that was the stormcloak assault of whiterun (my hometown with all my friends and family) I knew this game was within my expectations big time, why?
Cause I was disappointed in myself for the choice I made

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
SpaceBat said:
Have they fixed the bad pacing, weak storyline, bland and uninteresting sidequests, crappy dialogue and lifeless world?
Eeyup

Though I can't comment on the pacing of the main story that much. I sorta got side-tracked. Again.
Then why do people keep saying that if you didn't like oblivion, you won't like Skyrim?
And isn't the "Getting sidetracked" thing a problem in itself? It's giving me the idea that the main story isn't interesting enough that you'd want to learn more about it as fast as you can and instead get sidetracked constantly.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
SpaceBat said:
Cowabungaa said:
SpaceBat said:
Eeyup

Then why do people keep saying that if you didn't like oblivion, you won't like Skyrim?
And isn't the "Getting sidetracked" thing a problem in itself? It's giving me the idea that the main story isn't interesting enough that you'd want to learn more about it as fast as you can and instead get sidetracked constantly.
A good roleplaying game gives you these "distractions" as tools for helping you craft your own tale. Y'know... role-playing.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
It's absolutely amazing, I wish I could play more today but I need to do homework :(

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Signa said:
It's exactly as I foresaw.

Now granted, I haven't actually had a hands-on experience yet, but I did watch my roommate play and get a bit of his feedback. Nothing yet as piqued my interest in playing it, because it's Oblivion all over again, but possibly worse. Really Bethesda, did we really need regenerating health?
Yes, we did. Its not the kind of regenerating health that will let you sit behind cover for 5 seconds and jump back out fully healed. Its naught in fights, the only time you notice it is in long dungeon crawls. If your character is no good at healing spells it just means you dont have to wait an hour between every fight like in Oblivion.

OT: Exceeded. I thought the graphics would be crap, they are amazing. I thought the quests would suck (radiant quests sounded dodgy), the quests range from average to good to awesome. I thought the main questline would suck, its pretty good. I thought fights with dragons would be boring after the first 2 and just generally a messy affair because their movements are dynamic, but the dragon fights are EPIC. Just fucking EPIC!
Heh, even before I noticed your user name, I was thinking of RPGs that are better for having HP regen. Titan's Quest is one of the few where I can find it an acceptable mechanic. The reason being is that in order to abuse the system in that game, you'd have to sit around doing nothing for minutes at a time after each conflict. It would be completely boring and wreck the pacing. The speed of the regen could also be affected by items, which is what I think any RPG character should aspire to. It was quite an event for my Morrowind character to make a constant effect healing ring. As for Skyrim, all I saw was another Oblivion, which means there is constant down-time as you search for loot in a dungeon. That means you are going to just naturally heal after every conflict naturally just like those cover-based shooters you mentioned.

Ask yourself, in games like TQ and Oblivion, did you ever really use Mana potions all that often? By offering regenning health, you're also removing the need for potions, except in the most dire circumstances. Devs need to be more careful when they add new mechanics to a game, because it can unbalance another mechanic into obsolescence. TQ still had regenerating health without breaking the need for potions. Morrowind and Oblivion did just fine offering rudimentary healing options for new characters. I dare say that Oblivion's was too easy because of how little mana the healing spell cost while your mana pool recharged quickly.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I was honestly expecting it to just be Oblivion HD, and I thought Oblivion was kind of average so I wasn't exactly hyped. The only reason I got Skyrim on release is because everyone I knew was getting it.

That said I was completely fucking blown away, I have no other words for this game.

Adellebella

Sep 9, 2011
For one thing, I'm playing it on Medium-Settings and it's very beautiful. I can only imagine what it'd look like on Max.

The quests are interesting/amazing. Even the ones where I expect not a lot out of - hey give this person this thing - it ends up having enough meat on it to make me laugh/gasp.

Here's a fun example of my days: I was talking to a stable hand outside a city, and I asked him, "aren't you afraid of dragons?" To which he replied, "Nah, if it's my time to go, and it's by the hands of a dragon, then so be it."

Suddenly the wind picks up, and I watch my horse get set on fire. My first REAL dragon kill (out of the main quest).

My pony was fine, and so was the stable hand, if you're curious. I don't talk to him anymore.

My only negative is with your companions. Sometimes their presence is more frustrating then anything. I've never really invested in a horse because so much stuff will just run up and tag you. Oh - and I have a puppy that just won't HUSH. :p But I digress...

I love it. If you love RPG's or The Elder Scrolls..get it.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
ill be playing this game for a while, but i'm already so op that i don't know if my first character has any life left in it beyond exploring all the content

overall very satisfied with skyrim, but the ui drives me up the wall, it manages to be too sensitive to the mouse, not sensitive enough in other areas, poorly designed for common tasks and no hot-keys.. really? :S

other things they could improve:
the ability to charm dragons and tame one as a mount.

i want a dragon sat ontop of my house scratching the wooden beams!

get rid of horses, totally. they don't work, and they randomly follow me everywhere even when i deliberately leave them behind

food, pointless. have a food bar that regens stamina at 1x2x3x depending how full you are, maby i'd eat something then upto now, ive only eaten 1 of everything for making potions

ditch the gosh darned stealth quests from the main quest-line, not everyone wants to be a spy!
i ran into a mission quite early on that was impossible until i save and reloaded so i could be more repaired