Poll: So, do you talk to yourself ?

Sebass

Jul 13, 2009
I noticed that I tend to talk to myself a lot when (I think) i'm by myself. This can range from cursing at a chair when I stub my toe against it, talking to my cat, saying my thoughts ('Oh shit, we're out of milk, I have to get some more. I guess I'll have so orange juice then') out loud to entire imaginary conversations (usually ones I expect or hope to have in the future) where I internally imagine the other's response but actually vocally express my own words in that hypothetical situation.

I can't be the only one right .. ?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I do in the sense that I think aloud. Verbalising my thoughts allows me to process it better, so I might say something like 'oh crap it's 4AM, I really need to go to sleep now' or say for example, if I forget something I'll be like 'what was I gonna do? Oh right I remember'. Helps me conceptualise it.

I don't have conversations with myself though.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I talk to myself all the time.
Sometimes even full on conversations.
Sometimes myself answers back.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
When I'm alone of course, I'm the only person who gets me! :3

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Only when I'm planning a conversation before it happens, like I ask myself what if I brought this particular topic to this other person, will he be comfortable with it? I try to assume what his most probable replies are and predict where the conversation goes.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Yep. I'm alone most days so I talk to myself mainly just because it's nice to hear somebody's voice.

Just little comments here or there, though. I never have full conversations with myself.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
When I was in high school, as I was developing my fictional writing, I created an alternate persona of myself that I regularly discussed my thoughts with.

This would range anywhere from confidence issues, things that I generally liked and was excited for, and plans for future feats of awesomeness. After I graduated, and my fiction was really starting to take shape, my persona simply vanished and I haven't spoken with them since.

I like to think that all the main characters in my fiction acquired some aspect of my persona into their own character and that is what makes them endearing characters to me.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I have full on conversations with myself when i'm home alone. Hell even if the girlfriend is around i'll talk to myself sometimes just not as crazy or loud as if I was alone :3. It helps to actually voice your thoughts sometimes instead of trying to think about it while all these other things are going on in your head.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I use to talk to myself, but we had a falling out recently. The bastard slept with my girlfriend and it's just been really awkward ever since.

Lust

Mar 23, 2010
Usually it's just me going on a long winded spiel about whatever comes to mind.

Gets me real thirsty, though. And that gets me thinking. My mind races and what have you.

So I end up flip flopping between thinking and speaking. So, no, you're not alone. We're just not there with you.

Would defeat the purpose anyway.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Yes, all the time. I helps me to plan things out and its basically a way of voicing my thoughts, among other things.

Only when alone of course, or in whispers when i'm outside and walking.

Sebass

Jul 13, 2009
Glad to see I'm not alone. Though as an addendum, what do you guys do when somebody 'catches' you? Do you pretend nothing happened, start singing (as if they'll believe you) or just keep talking?

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Good morning, Me. How are you?

I'm fine, Me. Yourself?

I don't know, Me. I think I may be going crazy.

Whatever do you mean, Me?

I'm afraid you'll have to go.

What are you talking about? No, Me! Put down the gun!

captcha: dead ringer

You're an identity thief and you must die!

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
I say things out loud a lot. The major one is when I'm working something out. I do that whole slightly disconjointed increasing in speed thing the current Doctor Who does. Only I'm much less intelligent. And I'm not a Timelord.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
no, no we call it thinking aloud.

yeah, I do. Usually when I'm thinking really "hard".

Aug 25, 2009
I talk to myself all the time when I'm alone, usually just running things through. I have a very cluttered head, so it can sometimes be hard for me to see one thought all the way through to the end.

I've been told that I do it when other people are around, but I think it's more muttering disjointed stuff about whatever I'm doing rather than actual conversations.

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
Yup, all the time, for the same reasons Hazy mentioned. Helps visualize whatever it is I'm talking about

Sometimes I hold entire conversations in my head, not because I think there's someone else there, but because it allows me to explore most avenues of a potential discussion. Every now and again, this sparks a moment of introspection where I realize something about myself I didn't know (or tried to deny) before. I guess you can say that conversing with myself is how I reflect upon who I am.