Poll: So Duke Nukem Forever is $5 on Steam....

butternut

Jul 14, 2010
Your call really, $5 isn't that much.

Although, while I feel it wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be, it was almost average at best.

Pretty much everything that it does has been done before and done better.

Dukenstein

Jul 14, 2010
Play The Doctor Who cloned me before the main game. That might warp your opinion of the whole thing.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
It's 5 bucks and yet I still don't care. Apparently 12 years of hype wasn't enough. Better try 20 years next time.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Well i was happy investing 20 bucks in it so for 5 its a steal. i didnt find it anywhere near as bad as what most people are saying. yeah it has some niggling points which become hard to ignore, somewhat like the neck line in oblivion. but over all its a solid game. so i would definitely recommend buying it.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
I might have been inclined to get it for $5... but then I saw that 2K had the gall to charges us Aussies $12.50 USD for their pile of crap.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
AC10 said:
I'm going to say this one time.

I liked Duke Nukem Forever.

It was a fun game. The level design was interesting at times. The weapons were varied enough, the enemies were nice re-imaginings of what we had in Duke 3d and there were some genuinely novel ideas (like the kitchen scene).

It was a strange hybrid of old and new and I enjoyed it. I had fun with it. For $5 you probably will too.
I mostly agree with this. The problem is that the experience was so horribly uneven. While some sequences were actually good...others were just awful. Like the stupid brown cowboy village in the middle of nowhere. It just SCREAMED unfinished.

But by all means. 5 dollars is not that much money. Isnt it worth it just to experience a part of gaming history?

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Raika said:
Sewer Rat said:
Yes, it is an awful piece of shit by all accounts
Alright, that was too strong a wording, let me rephrase:
Yes, the game was universally panned by critics, and the most who played it have little good to say about it.
There, that better?

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Sewer Rat said:
Yes, the game was universally panned by critics
PC Gamer reviewed it positively(very positively, in fact, they liked it more than I did).
Game Informer had mixed things to say about it with a fairly even positive/negative split.
GamesRadar was similar in their critique to Game Informer.

Duke Nukem Forever is not the worst 2011 release in terms of critical reception(Thor: God of Thunder is), nor is it the most poorly received first-person shooter(Call of Juarez: The Cartel is). The internet took a big sloppy shit on it because they thought it would make them look cool to their e-friends when they're not talking about how hip and anti-establishment they are for sticking My Little Pony into fucking everything(that annoys me a little bit, for the record). What's funny about that is that the humor in Duke Nukem Forever probably went over the heads of most of those people, and there's nothing at all that's highbrow or even intelligent about it. It's just a lampoon of the idiotic concept of machismo and a display of the world as seen through the eyes of every dick-waving meathead who actually thinks people like him.

I'll go ahead and rewrite your statement for you in a way that makes you sound like you've done your homework.

"Yes, the game carries a certain amount of infamy on internet forums that shit on anything that isn't The Legend of Zelda anyway."

Then again, what the hell do I know? I liked Final Fantasy XIII.

Why am I awake at this ungodly hour?

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
If your that curious, then just go for it, it's only $5.00. However just don't expect to enjoy yourself too much with that game. It's a less than average game, that only thinks it's being funny. -_-

I think a donation COULD make for better use, but eh. Your money.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Duke Nukem 3D is also $5.99 on GOG. Buy that instead.
OT: Duke Nukem Forever is the dissapointing type of bad, not the hilariously bad type of bad. If you were thinking about it just to make fun of it, don't waste your money. Get Darkseed 2 or something else that is so bad that it's funny.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Wait til Steam is GIVING it away.

I mean, they gave away Portal--a much, much, much better game--for a while. DNF is a shitty game. They should just give it away for a week then purge it from their systems forever.

Dfskelleton said:
Duke Nukem 3D is also $5.99 on GOG. Buy that instead.
OT: Duke Nukem Forever is the dissapointing type of bad, not the hilariously bad type of bad. If you were thinking about it just to make fun of it, don't waste your money. Get Darkseed 2 or something else that is so bad that it's funny.
Oh hell yes. For a dollar more go get a better game!

Or go grab a sourceport [http://eduke32.com/] for [http://www.jonof.id.au/jfduke3d] free. [http://www.rancidmeat.com/project.php3?id=1] :D

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Sewer Rat said:
I'm a little torn about buying it,
Yes, it is an awful piece of shit by all accounts, but I'm wondering if it is even good for a laugh because of how bad it is (see The Room and Troll 2). So I'm wondering what the escapist has to say: do you think DNF is worth $5?
You forgot to add "Gimme dat 5 dollar" to the poll. I'm waiting... waiting... waiting...

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
you have to realize that money is not the only thing with value. Time as well has value, and even at 0 dollars there is a net loss when playing DNF.