Poll: So I am thinking of learning a fighting style...

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
Kathinka said:
zen5887 said:
Kathinka said:
i hope the toppic creator does not get the wrong picture though...most of the stuff here listed are sports, made for competetive reasons and recreation. no matter how good in in karate or whatever you are, an experienced thugh or violent barfighter will still hand your ass to yourself on a silver plate...

the only ones of those listed really usefull in actual self defense would be krav maga and sambo. everything else might help due to improved fitnes and such, but it's techniques will get you smacked to the ground by old-fashioned knee-to-groin^^ unfortunately it is not easy to find schools for krav maga and sambo outside isreal / russia.

<== 7 years krav maga
Its pretty much impossible to doubt the effectiveness of Krav Maga, but not everyone is looking for something like that. I don't do Martial Arts to learn how to fuck up anyone who looks at me wrong, I like learning Martial Arts for the fun of it. I'm really into BJJ (Mainly 10th Planet stuff) right now because the techniques are enjoyable and challenging to learn. I'm not saying the Krav Maga stuff isn't enjoyable for some people, I am just not into the brutality.
that's 100% right. just..the toppic creator expressed his desire to learn a form of self defense that he could applie to...well, defend himself, hence my statement. no doubt there is great enjoyment in any martial art.
Actually, the OP wanted something for fitness and discipline, and isn't fond of fighting. So I thorght that Krav Maga wouldn't be that good for him. OP, I don't want to put words in your mouth but that's the vibe I'm getting.

I'm still in the stance that learning any Martial Art (within reason) is going to give you the edge in an fight. You'll have better reation time and know how to throw a punch better. Personally, I train for sport, but I drill the Shredder every not and then.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
zen5887 said:
Actually, the OP wanted something for fitness and discipline, and isn't fond of fighting. So I thorght that Krav Maga wouldn't be that good for him. OP, I don't want to put words in your mouth but that's the vibe I'm getting.
Yeah, thats right.

zen5887 said:
I'm still in the stance that learning any Martial Art (within reason) is going to give you the edge in an fight. You'll have better reation time and know how to throw a punch better. Personally, I train for sport, but I drill the Shredder every not and then.
And knowing how to throw a punch is REALLY important... you see people fight and their arms are flailing all over like tentacles and even if they learn to control their arms they can still sprain their wrist with a single incorrect punch or break any number of bones in their foot with a poorly co-ordinated kick.

I have first hand experience at this, I was sparring with someone that my friend had started training to become a boxer and he wanted to see how he did against a person with more reach.

I won the fight due to my freakishly dull senses to outer pain (not inner pain, that still hurts like a *****.) and some well placed shots to the torse BUT after the match had finished and the adrenaline wore off my left wrist was out... so then when I was sparring with my friend who actually boxes I couldnt use my left hand at all, I tried one jab with my left hand in the first couple of minutes and that was it for me.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
Kinguendo said:
HerrBobo said:
Kinguendo said:
People will go on about really obscure ones to make themselves sound cool, or whatever. The best one you can do is something that will be useful in the real world. So, you want something that is simple, effective and focus on locks, holds and throws. To this end I say, Judo.
I am 6'4 so Judo wont really do me any good unless I plan on potentailly breaking someones arm when I try to do a Judo flip because I was too tall to get my back under them, I have started Muay Thai because of the range advantage I would have with the length of my strikes and being able to close a larger gap with a single step.
Ah, I never thought of that. Yeah Muay Thai is good.

I just have to laugh when people say stuff like Capoera and that. In the real world it has as much use as have one arm tied behind you back. IMO.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Kinguendo said:
Therumancer said:
Again, Ali challenged and defeated tons of martial arts masters. Also again, they tried to ban boxing in martial arts tournaments a while ago. You can find the stuff on Ali by looking him up without much difficulty, the stuff about the attempted Boxing ban is harder to find (I was just looking).

The thing about "boxers are limited to using their hands" and "can't counter things like this" makes for good martial arts movie logic, but doesn't stand up in reality. Don't confuse rules of a boxing match with reality.

-

As far as Chuck Norris goes, there was a boxed set of some of his lesser movies called "Fists Of Steel" that talked about his backround. Chuck Norris was not a student of Bruce Lee, but did train with him and they were sparring partners. The two had a rivalry where they believed they were the better fighter, however Chuck Norris is really the only one that held any serious titles and championships as far as everything I've read.
I know about Ali fighting different Martial Artists... but he never fought Bruce Lee. And as I said, they were both exceptional fighters within their fields.

Oh and I didnt say "limited to use of his hands" I said trained in fighting with his hands, and I never mentioned anything about countering or not countering certain attacks.

Here, bottom paragraph of that section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee#Certified_instructors

And on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee#Martial_arts_lineage

Showing not only did Bruce Lee instruct Chuck Norris but Chuck Norris also learned one or more of Bruce Lees styles.
I stand corrected there, however I will say that nothing I'e read on Chuck Norris previously has ever said that.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
For as far as I know, I've found Krav Maga to be the most 'effective' because it's aimed purely at efficiency. In your case though, seeing as you're not doing it for the 'selfprotection' specifically, I reckon anything could work.

That said, just don't do judo.

ZeLunarian

Mar 1, 2010
Tae kwon do is one I would say not to do...
Learning off and practicing tai chi sets is a good way to subsidize any martial arts. Or so I believe :p If you just wanna kick ass go for Krav maga. wushu would REALLY push you to your limits.
But personally, I'm a fan of Muay thai, and not kick boxing ;)

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Tae Kwon Doe for efficiency with feet. If your kinda wimpy in the arm department, use your feet what? If your looking for all around combat, Muay Thai, if throwing along with organ punches is your thing Krav Maga or Sambo. Or do what I did start off learning Tae Kwon Doe for self discipline, then pick up small, very sharp and very pointy knives and use a combination of strong kicks and planting those little knives into arteries. (its an mma style most people don't know, as its made to be fatal)

blubbyblubbyblub

Feb 19, 2008
Kinguendo said:
yron33 said:
PPS

Im not sure exactly when JKD was created but i am certain it was atleast 30 years ago MMA is a "relatively" new Martial art that was created for the sole purpose of being the most versatile and effective one in one on one combat and personal defense. i think that an accomplished MMartist would beat the living daylights out of an Jeet Kun Do practicioner especially if he had studied it beforehand
It was created in 1965 by Bruce Lee and there is no way to study Jeet Kun Do... it is individual to the person and the next time you fight that same guy it might be different again. It is the original Mixed Martial Arts, if you think a person who is well versed in MMA could beat Bruce Lee then you dont know how hard that man trained and how well he knew martial arts.
im pretty sure i didn't mention anyone beating Bruce Lee, i know how hellishly strong that man was. and if there is no way to study Jeet Kun Do you can not call it an martial art. then i would argue that it is more like a philosophy and if there is no way to LEARN Jeet kun do then i do not see the point in mentioning it since this isn't a versus thread and the title says "so i am thinking of learning a fighting style" and how do you learn what cannot be taught, young grasshopper?

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
I heard Kenpo is really great for exercize, I'm going to start taking lessons very soon and so far it looks very challanging.

Deviltongue

Feb 2, 2008
Krav Maga. It's the least stylish but more effective in more situations than any of the others. Also, Tae Kwon Do is utterly useless.

Twilightruler

Jul 3, 2009
If you're looking for a fighting style for the discipline it takes, then I'm not sure. The most practical fighting style seems to me, to be Krav Maga though. It can be learned in the shortest amount of time, has the most uses in the real world, and you don't have to be in your physical prime to do it.

Bludge

Jul 19, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
What? I'm the only vote for Krav Maga??

Read this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html

And then come back here and change your mind.
I would have voted for krav, but he said he was interested in discipline. not exactly krav's strong point! lol.

It all depends on what you want out of it, if you want self defence, find a good krav teacher, if you want sport fighting, go with muay thai or bjj/judo.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
yron33 said:
im pretty sure i didn't mention anyone beating Bruce Lee, i know how hellishly strong that man was. and if there is no way to study Jeet Kun Do you can not call it an martial art. then i would argue that it is more like a philosophy and if there is no way to LEARN Jeet kun do then i do not see the point in mentioning it since this isn't a versus thread and the title says "so i am thinking of learning a fighting style" and how do you learn what cannot be taught, young grasshopper?
Did you read my original post? I do say that it ISNT a fighting style so I wont include it in the poll. Bruce Lee made it to follow his principle of aiming to be like water, so Jeet Kun Do is constantly changing to adapt.

EDIT: And I am not learning Jeet Kun Do (Even though it can be taught.), I am learning Muay Thai.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Orcus_35 said:
DUDE! For a Muay Thai Picture you could have put the Ong Bak dude Tony Jaa !
I could have... But Adon is much cooler... and this is The Escapist.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
HerrBobo said:
Ah, I never thought of that. Yeah Muay Thai is good.

I just have to laugh when people say stuff like Capoera and that. In the real world it has as much use as have one arm tied behind you back. IMO.
Yeah, I never understood the point of Capoeira. I understood WHY it was created but not why people would choose to fight with that when you dont have to... I mean when they stand on one hand and do that head kick thing, yeah it looks impressive but a sweep would have that guy falling on his head in no time.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Therumancer said:
I stand corrected there, however I will say that nothing I'e read on Chuck Norris previously has ever said that.
Most things I read about Chuck Norris are about him being able to do things like running around the world and punching himself in the back of the head... I tend to look upon "facts" about Chuck Norris with a critical eye. :D