Poll: So lets say the fate of Resident Evil lies with you...

TheAbidingDude

Aug 18, 2012
If we could bear in mind all the cock ups of the series, big or small, let's go back to its roots. That and clean up the story a bit. Not overhaul it, but just airbrush it a bit.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Excuse me where is Resident Evil Revelations on that list? Also probably go with the older style, just because I can't go with just the 4 and/or Revelations style which had a good balance.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'd say set it in a cheep house with a creepy atmosphere again, and change the controls to an entirely new style since one's broke and another is more action...y. Then make a shooter spin-off franchise about blasting zombies. Also, I'd recommend they stop spending all there money on hookers and blow, and then using both during my meeting with them. (I have strange hypothetical meetings with people.)

IanBrazen

Oct 17, 2008
Take it back to its roots! We need more survival horror its a dead breed! you can keep the updated game play but please please make it survival horror-ish.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
The good thing is that the Resi is an even numbered one. which means it'll have Leon Kennedy in it. Which means it will be good.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'mma go with the crowd and say that RE4 was probably the best out of the bunch... but only with a caveat. My ideal Resident Evil outing: No other character to defend, no merchant selling upgrades; limited weapon inventory (one primary and maybe two secondary weapons) and scarce ammunition; less overpowered melee attacks- I should not be knocking back fifteen zombies with a roundhouse kick.

And zombies. Loads of zombies, everywhere. Make tactically disabling them (headshot if you've got the time, destroy a leg otherwise) valuable. And don't be afraid to mix up monster types- making a Hunter or Licker have to tear its way through a crowds of undead to get to you should be entirely doable.

And for the love of everything, make avoiding an encounter with proper application of skill possible. If I'm quiet, zombies should not know where I am, and they should lose track of me after a while if I evade them.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
RE 5 was my favorite due to the "OMG RUN" factor, especially when trying to survive for 7 minutes with Wesker, or the Ndesu fight, that fight alone almost landed me in anger management. The difficulty fact hits a dead wall at the very beginning. running through a ally then into a room and all of a sudden some big guy with a axe decide to ruin your day. I could list dozens of fear factors about this game.

The whole Resident Evil franchise i admit is very well done even the movies are good, and thats rare. Hoping for some awesomeness in RE6

Alpargata Metalica

Jul 23, 2012
RE3 NEMESIS and RE4 are my favourites.

So... I guess i´d like to play a sourvival horror like RE3 with some dodging movements and a few decisions every now and then; and RE4 camera and item management sistem.

I don´t like fixed camera angles and tank like controls.

Something like Cold fear. Loved that game!

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
While 4 and 5 were fun to play they weren't really resident evil in the same way that the first 3 were. I liked the crazy panic moments where you realise your stuffed and haven't saved for a while and then somehow pull it back from the brink. The changing encounters in familiar locations like when the dogs become spiders in that corridor of doom fairly early on in number 1. The new games had checkpoints which made it all too easy and puzzles became quick time events...WTF?

They need to go with option 3...bury the series and come up with a new game idea for once rather than endlessly making every classic game into a 1st/3rd person brainless shooter

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I like the older games because they actually had the potential to be scary and that potential was acted on. The newer games are just straight action with tentacle monsters roaming the land instead of zombies.

And fuck quick-time events. Those things need to crawl back into the hole they came out of.

Voted for RE3 in the poll.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
2 was easily my favourite of the series, but I'm afraid that ship has already sailed. At this point, I think they should cut ties with the way the series used to be entirely. Or, at the least, they should establish a split in the series with two divergent series of games based within the same universe. Frankly, the clunky controls, partial camera control and "we're not an action game, honest!" mechanics that they just won't give up in a failed mission to stay true to the series roots are hurting the series more than helping it at this point and it already hasn't been a proper survival horror series since at least RE4 if not earlier.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
Bring back everything that worked about RE 4, especially the inventory system, either keep zombies or find something creepier to use either is fine with me, but make them look scarier than the average spanish peasant, they didn't look creepy enough for me.

And let's bring back Claire for fucks sake, what's she been doing for the past billion games huh? Picking her nose?...because that's not cool.

Edit: Oh, and fuck off with the multiplayer okay, the last thing I need is some brain dead A.I. following me around during my zombie romp, I don't want other people with me while I play a horror game, because that's not scary at all. If you really want multiplayer give it it's own mode, don't have it trample all over the single player.

And the merchant, bring him back, he was awesome.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Proper creepiness is in order. And for the record, Resident Evil 4 IS proper creepiness. I'm stuck in the middle of flipping nowhere with a creepy cult of people who seem almost undead and it turns out they've all got WTF parasites growing in them, plus they have hideous monsters roaming around? It's brown trousers time!
NO argument there! I loved RE4 it was a step in the right direction for the series I think, but after 5, I fear that the more action orientated games are better sellers in Capcom's eyes.

So if it was up to me, do a full makeover of the original 3 to the standard of the original REmake (e.g. added content, new voice actors etc). I don't know why, but after playing REmake I felt that the series had grown up a little bit. Sure it still had some ridiculous lines but it felt more creepy. And to be fair to them, the game has hardly dated at all - minus the cluncky controls and a few issues here and there.

Imagine RE:3 with full surround sound, stunning HD graphics. I genuinly think I was physically jump every time I heard S.T.A.R.S blair from the speakers behind me.

Kalikin

Aug 28, 2010
I've played 1-5 and Code Veronica X, and I've enjoyed all of them, though I'd have to say my favourite is 2, followed by 4. I don't really understand the hate the tank controls get. They aren't BAD because they do what they are designed to - they hamper your movement slightly so you have to weigh up whether you want to use ammo or risk taking a hit as you run past.

4 was a lot of fun, but then you simply can't claim that 4 didn't mark the point when the series turned into a full-on action game with horror elements. I mean, the mission structure throughout the entire game is, "clear out all enemies in the area, scavenge for ammo, go to next area". The game did have a nice unsettling environment, but the only parts I thought were genuinely scary were the Salazar's Right Hand boss fight and the regenerators (seriously, I wasted 30 shotgun shells on the first one I came across!)

I don't mind a certain amount of action gameplay, like 4, but I wish they'd throw fans of the original key-hunting, ammo-conserving, games a bone once in a while. Maybe develop the two styles of game in parallel? I would prefer the original, but the action games will do better commercially, hands down.

One thing I will say is that gun-wielding zombies can fuck right off. The point where the games become cover-based shooters is the point where I stop following them (especially if it is as badly implemented as in 5). I'll be watching 6 very closely on this matter.