Poll: So...Spunkgargleweewee. Does it need broader terming?

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
bigfatcarp93 said:
I don't think it's quite fair to call Halo a spunkgargleweewee: it uses the full color spectrum, has open arenas for combat, doesn't REQUIRE the use of cover, and has varied enemies.
Plus I never heard Yahtzee refer to Halo as such, especially after his review of Halo 4.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Wow. I fall asleep and this happens. Okay, so I should probably point out I don't worship Yahtzee as much as the thread makes it out. However, I'd be lying if I didn't admit this is one of those terms that has caught on, even when Yahtzee and I have a series of disagreements (e.g: his review of Halo Wars). Practically everyone saying otherwise is wrong in that assumption.

Second, I bought it up because some of his terms do cross class with other games. He may never have used the term to refer to Halo, but some of the signs are clearly there, as is the same with Metro.

Thirdly, I should probably repeat that I DO NOT hate either series (even if we are right now more predisposed to liking Metro more).

Fourth and finally, given Yahtzee used the term in his Black Ops II video and a handful of times afterwards, it would appear the man himself is popularizing the description. I wouldn't be too surprised if it came to be an overly long running gag.

Fifth, reading everyone's views on the subject has been extremely interesting.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
It's just another term for TotalBiscuit's Modern Military Shooter. It has a very limited, narrow definition.

It was also a joke, but I'm actually finding it amusing to see it repeated so much everywhere now. A testament to Yahtzee's power.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I thought it was pretty obvious, describing the bland military shooter as being plopped down in the middle of a war, hiding behind wall most of the time, silly story, yadda yadda.

Jeez, can't believe most of you have your knickers in a twist over this. I reckon it's a pretty good slam on samey shooters and is a good way to kinda demonise games that copy COD. You know, to stop these remakes/rip-offs. The real joke you should be complaining about is the gaming industry and how many of these AAA FPS titles which are so similar and uncreative that always bloody sell!

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
Winthrop said:
[May I ask what issue you take with the term spectacle fighter? It is obvious that spunk gargle wee wee was a joke and a shot at modern military shooters, but I actually find spectacle fighter to be a descriptive, nonoffensive, and useful term. Some games are all about the spectacle of the combat just as some movies are, and I actually find his term for them to be useful.
I have to assume that when you refer to the spectacle shooter you mean call of duty and those that emulate it. Of course, there is a fundamental problem with this franchise. For starters, it doesn't really seem like it wants me to actually participate. Huge sequences of Call of Duty are scripted and many that are not require no interaction from the player. Indeed, the most the franchise has ever asked is that I move to the next star on the map though modern iterations replace that star and map system with a cursor over a head.

Beyond that, the problem is that the participation the game does allow me is cursory at best. No maneuver is necessary. No clever plan. Just left-trigger, right-trigger, right stick forward until victory is assured. Thus my problem with the "spectacle shooter" is clear - the game everything in it's power to make my participation cursory.
I think you misunderstood the context of my post, I was referring to the use of the phrase, not the games themselves.

krazykidd said:
Winthrop said:
krazykidd said:
poiumty said:
Forced meme, stop using it.

Yahtzee should pull more decent-sounding names out of his ass if he wants them to be taken seriously.
Do you really think he planed for anyone to start using the term? Seriously? It's more than likely He made something up with a stupid name so that people don't start using it . Sure it backfired but it's not HIS fault .Kinda like spectacle fighter for games like bayonetta and DMC .
May I ask what issue you take with the term spectacle fighter? It is obvious that spunk gargle wee wee was a joke and a shot at modern military shooters, but I actually find spectacle fighter to be a descriptive, nonoffensive, and useful term. Some games are all about the spectacle of the combat just as some movies are, and I actually find his term for them to be useful.
No issue , just using it as an example . Spectacle fighter is no a real genre , just something that Yahtzee made up ( like spunkgargleweewee). Sure it makes more sense than SGWW, but it's not a thing .
Alright, thanks for clearing that up! I thought you were relating the condescending nature of SGWW's name to the term spectacle fighter as well.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
...it's a joke. It's just how Yahtzee describes generic shooters that he doesn't like.

It's a purely negative term, and therefore has no place as a serious classification of a game.

Let funnies be funnies.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
No, this is the stupidest term that has ever attempted to break out of a ZP episode into "regular" talking; it needs to be eliminated completely, not broadened. The "term that does not even deserve to get mentioned" is a term used by people who want to look down on modern FPS's but don't want to sound like they're an anti-fanboy. This term is the most ridiculous crap I've ever heard.
I agree. It's pretty much the new joke he uses where he used to mention the "Triple cunted hooker" every other episode. It's not particularly funny, clever or original, it's just a thing he said in his videos, and people (as always) make a much larger deal out of it than it needs or deserves.

It's actually irritating enough to make me switch off when watching the videos.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Mr Dizazta said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
I don't think it's quite fair to call Halo a spunkgargleweewee: it uses the full color spectrum, has open arenas for combat, doesn't REQUIRE the use of cover, and has varied enemies.
Plus I never heard Yahtzee refer to Halo as such, especially after his review of Halo 4.
Yeah, but OP brought it up, I thought I might as well address it.

Also, I just got the SINGLE STUPIDEST CAPTCHA EVER:

"go further" with which vehicle?

Prius V
Volkswagon Jetta Hybrid
Nissan Leaf
Chevy Volt
Ford C-Max

How the FUCK am I supposed to know? So, I'm copying my comment, refreshing the page, and pasting.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I can definitely tell you that it's not the Nissan Leaf from experience.

OT: This term is rather counter-intuitive if you were to take it seriously. Other genre names make sense to somebody that doesn't know what they're exactly tied to while this just sounds like complete gibberish. Don't use it thinking people will know what you're talking about... please?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Only if I get to start calling WoW and WoW-clones "Warblyfarts".
What? That sounds like a stupid word I made up entirely for a joke?

Then you have your answer.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
GunsmithKitten said:
Again, this is Ben Croshow, the Jim Jones/Sun Yung Moon/Charles Manson of gaming; even his jokes are to be taken as gospel from the top of the mountain.
Ah, right.
A classic case of celebrity worship by the masses of braindead sheeple.

Master says "Baa". We're all supposed to "Baa" with him, right?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
GunsmithKitten said:
Apparently so. Again, look what happened to this dumb ass word for modern military shooters; he does it and a week later, it's part of the masses lexicon.
Well, memes are a great social resource for those can't think for themselves.
Just parrot a line someone else made enough, and you'll fit right in!

Poor poor sheeple.