Poll: So, what do you dislike Electronic Arts the MOST for?

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
So EA is one of the most obnoxious gaming companies ever, but what do they do that ticks you of the MOST?

Me, it would be squandering studios.Poor pandemic.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
I don't hate them per se, but on the other hand, I'm not impressed with their ability to run excellent game development companies into the ground, nor their annual rehash of sports game.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Well, maybe not "hate", but the the studios they've closed would be the one that has had the biggest effect on me.

One of them was responsible for 4 of my favourite games of all time (one of which is my favourite game of all time).

I miss the mask...

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
I rarely buy their products, but from the options, i would say i'd hate them for the way they use codes and other material to make sure that their customers bought it new. Seems like a dick move but in truth, i just don't care for them.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
They're prettymuch everything that's wrong with gaming today. No joke, they're like an avatar for everything nerds hate about big business.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Ugh, can we all please stop using the word Hate for Dislike.

It really devalues the word Hate.
I doubt anyone here really HATES EA, unless it took away their first born or something.

SoMuchSpace

Mar 27, 2012
Ranorak said:

I doubt anyone here really HATES EA, unless it took away their first born or something.
Happy now?

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Ranorak said:

Oh trust me, you will find plenty of people here and elsewhere who do actully hate EA, not just dislike but HATE with a burning passion.

I really don't like EA, I could go as far as to say I hate them, as someone above me said, they are like the face of everything that is wrong with the gaming industry right now.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
Tayh said:
I don't hate them per se, but on the other hand, I'm not impressed with their ability to run excellent game development companies into the ground, nor their annual rehash of sports game.
This exactly. Everyone is really blowing this shit out of proportion with how much they "hate EA." If there's one thing about EA I can't stand it's their hostile takeover way of doing things. I mourn Pandemic, Criterion, Bullfrog, and all the other poor, unfortunate companies to be sucked in and spit out by EA. The only decent company to make it out of that alive was Harmonix, who ended up becoming an independently funded company after the release of Rock Band 3. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to say goodbye to Rock Band because no one ever seems to want to play anymore...

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
SoMuchSpace said:
Ranorak said:

Happy now?
Yes, yes I am. :D

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
I don't know what they do to cause amazing companies to turn into crap, but they deserve to stop existing because of it.

Though then again, maybe the companies they buy out are doing better, but are just not what the original fans want. Because seriously if companies become even less profitable after they bought them they would've stopped buying them out, unless they're just trying to destroy creativity in the industry.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Foxglove said:
"Challenge Everything"
Including good business practices.

Electronic Arts is the destruction of the gaming industry. There isn't much more to say beyond that.

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
Company owners and their employees, at least on a temporary basis, tend to gain more money when they get brought into the fold. So to speak.

They get increased funding which allows for them to hire new staff and push games out faster. They also have the knack for keeping the company owners on staff. So not only do the owners get some serious cash they stay employees of the company. Its win/win for them, really.

Then the trouble starts.

The increased funding comes with shorter deadlines, its cool cause now they can hire more people. EA also likes to make demands on exactly how the product itself will turn out. Works employees to the bone, and when the project just isn't going to net them the profit they want. They drop the whole thing.

Its the demands they make that destroy the companies and their games, when the company is drowning under the weight of demands and can't push their product out in time. They get dropped.

It is utterly insidious what they do. Thats not even counting what they do to the consumer.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Foxglove said:
"Challenge Everything"
;D

OT: They treat their customers like shit and they treat their developers like shit. They're the main reasons for me but there are others.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I don't hate EA because I have perspective. But they definitely do things that I disagree with. Origin was handled so poorly and was so obvious (the whole thing about not being able to support their games through Steam was bullshit and everyone knew it), and the Dante's Inferno and Dead Space 2 marketing were just insulting. But I don't hate them, because they're a business, and if I was running it I wouldn't handle it much differently.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
I hate EA cause they haven't made a working/fixed patch for my sims games. I love my sims but the constant problems of stuff from the sim store not working (there store) in game, crashing due to patch errors, unable to build pools, use rugs, sims getting stuck, and just so many other bugs. The newest bug for my game is that all the other expansions and stuff packs I bought say they're not registered with EA. Which they will work 75% of the time.
EA's keeps saying the way to fix this is to uninstall and reinstall. Which I did for times, I lose everything I worked on in the sims...... it's disappointing....

Harb

May 2, 2010
I have to admit none of the reasons stated in the poll fit my reason.

That said, I don't believe overpricing is a reasonable argument, since there is no general rule saying "Games should cost $XX".

Also Origin doesn't fit the description of spyware. It certainly checks contents of your PC that are considered private, but customers are informed about this in EULA. Nevertheless I personally don't like what Origin is doing inside my PC.

I don't like EA (agreed with Ranorak, "hate" is brutally overused - it seems some people don't understand how definitive and aggressive the word is) because they do not hesitate to make any decision no matter how bad for the industry (e.g. closing Westwood, Pandemic) or how harmful for their customers (e.g. lying through marketing, rushing out games, cutting out content) as long as it yields more money for Electronic Arts.

The amount of ignorance they are putting in customers' goodwill will one day bite them in the ass. And I'm very much looking forward to that day.