Poll: So where do you stand on Anonymous and why?

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
In some ways I don't believe freedom of speech even is a Right. I believe it's a privilege and a responsibility, and if you can't exercise restraint when addressing wrongs you feel, then you don't deserve it.
I agree with this, and with what you said about the possibility to forfeit free speech if you are using it to violate another person's "Primary Right." There's a distortion somehow to the spirit of freedom that it can be used to take from someone else, who is supposed to be equal to you in freedom, their freedom, or diminish it at least - not all speech should be protected, and then we get into the value judgements and the slippery slope and all the other dark alleys of philosophy, but practically speaking it remains true.

I am not sure I consider what Anonymous is doing to be "oppression" so much as "inconvenience" - there hasn't been a target I know of who wasn't fully capable of continuing their daily lives with only some embarrassment at having been disrupted slightly. I don't think the feelings they've engendered even in their 'victims' have come to a level to compare with those grieving a fallen soldier and loved one to the angry chants of homophobic head cases.

Andy03

Oct 9, 2010
I consider them as the incredible hulk. They are sometimes misunderstood, but you still dont want to stand in his way.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
creager91 said:
Hey now I know you're probably fired up as we can all get when we have distaste for something but can we please try not to get offensive, I'm trying to keep this a debate not a trash talking marathon. Thanks in advance.
I'm not 'fired up', I'm merely wondering why my generation likes to identify itself with the stupidest shit imaginable.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008

I have no strong feelings one way or the other!

...because I like what they stand for but don't necessarily approve of their methods.

Requx

Mar 28, 2010
They are pretty awesome. Although I could see it getting out of hand. Everything they do now is full of awesome and lulz.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
When they are finding out secret plots and helping for the greater good, I like them. When they are going on Habbo raids and Scientology beat downs, not so much.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I support Anonymous' stance on free speech, and would fight along side them if there were some kind of Net-War to do with censorship and what have you. However, anything else Anonymous does is really not my concern. They're too thinly spread to have an official stance, and to have an official stance on a group that doesn't have one themself would be blindly following a group whose intentions you do not understand.

I like to think of myself as a free-thinker, someone who can make up my mind based on facts, reality and education. I generally try my hardest not to blindly follow any particular cause.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Well, I wouldn't shed a tear if they all got arrested. That being said I won't go out of my way to insult them.

creager91

Mar 3, 2011
When you guys say you like them because they do it to be funny, you don't think have have gone even a little too far on occasion?

SamSloth

Dec 23, 2007
Oh my word are you people serious? 4chan isn't some hive of cowboy vigilante hackers on steroids, riding through the internet shaping the interwebs in accordance with their will. In fact a comment talking about 4chan in that regard, mentioning Guy Fawke's masked raids and treating the place like Project Mayhem is likely to be dismissed as a delusional newfag.
http://boards.4chan.org/b/ go there, go now.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
Oh man I needed a good laugh and glad this thread popped up.

Anonymous is nothing more than a bunch of bored teens trying to be edgy.

Also stop referring to 4chan in general when we all know damn well its /b/ that does all the stupid shit.

naab

Jun 4, 2009
Arehexes said:
I think unless we all give out are information we are all a part of Anonymous ;)
No one here could possibly be part of Anonymous because we care too much about our own self image in reputation.

Don't get me wrong they do too but they have sacrificed their identities to just be literally one whole but they aren't organized just simply because they aren't really a group.

You could just look up encyclopedia dramatica. Probably the most honest and closest thing you'll get.

DESPITE ITS SARCASM.

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
I guess I see them as a necessary evil. They do some good and some bad and as has been said before, they don't target anyone really without prior provocation. It's also hilarious to see the FBI etc try and take them down. They just don't seem to get that as long as the internet exists, so will anonymous.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
...there's no poll.

OT: I'm on the fence. Some of the stuff they do is creepy, but I support some of it. Like taking down godhatesfags.com, and supporting wikileaks.

fireice56

Jan 15, 2009
Wait, 4chan is just an imageboard. It isn't a secret club of hackers that fight for justice or anarchy. You guys have no idea what you're talking about. Also, if I hear one mention of "rules 1 & 2" I'm going to go apeshit.