Poll: Social experiment

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
This experiment is simple, you may receive either +1 internets, or +3 internets based on how you vote. However, if more than 10% of people vote for +3, nobody gets any internets. Please vote, (Without viewing results first) and then tell me why you voted the way you did.

Cooky Wooky

Jan 23, 2016
I don't really know what is going on but I chose 1 internet, because I want some internet and not no internet. 3 internets is probably a bit excessive.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I chose +3 internets because I figure a majority of the human race avoid taking risks, so there should be enough of those people that choose +1 that I can sneak by with a +3

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
One. The scenario requires that nine out of ten people need to go for +1 instead of +3, or everyone ultimately gets nothing. Assuming that 1/10 of the other people are already accounted for is wiser than assuming that 9/10 are. And at the end of the day the worst case scenario for my choice is that I could have won more, or I lost through circumstances outside of my control. The other option, by contrast, has a worst case scenario of my choice directly contributing to everyone's loss. And even aiming for the smaller pot, I still turn a profit, so I see no reason to be averse to the smaller payout.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I chose one, because what would I do with more than that? This one alone has enough puppies to last me several lifetimes.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
+3

This isn't for real, so there's no risk involved in going with +3. The worst (well best since it will be amusing) that can happen is I get called a horrible person by someone who either fails to realize this isn't real or fails to realize that I realized this isn't real.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Meh chose 1 cos that's the point. Should have remembered that people suck and would choose 3.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
1 internets. Because you don't need anymore than one each, you greedy assholes! I been using the same internets that i was born with and desire no more because none of me has become a seperate, sentient entity and demanded its own seperate entertainment. Also people are unreliable in a democratic system so allowances have to be made and...oh look, it's over 10%! Oops, spoiler alert. How surprising, i hope you're proud, whoever this statement applies to!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I chose +1 so that there is a greater chance for more people getting more internets.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Zhukov said:
Isn't this basically just a Prisoners Dilemma?
Precisely why I voted for +3. I refuse to maximize success with sensible game theory logic!

Tangentially related, there was an experimental game I once played online; I can't remember the details exactly, but I think the only way to win was if no one else went to the website played the same game for a whole minute. If someone else did, you'd be booted out of the game and have to start again. Obviously, people instinctively try to replay over and over, but this inevitably boots out other players who will behave the same way, insuring no one can win.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
You'd be amazed what I can do with a single internets so I went with +1 as that's all I need.