Poll: Social experiment

Mar 30, 2010
+1 Internets, because if I choose +3 and break all the Internets then I'll actually have to work rather than spending all day in gaming forums. *shudder*

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I voted 1. Because people are greedy and egotistical, so i assume most people will vote for 3. So i try to help as much as i can.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I went with +1 because I don't want to choose +3 and end up being the guy that pushed the +3's over the 10% and have everyone hate me when they find out.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I once read about an experiment where a guy set up a booth with a jar labeled

"Free money take as much as you want, no questions asked"

While the guy was standing there, very few people took any money, or if they did, they only took like $1-$5, true to the phrase, he didn't say anything to them. The people couldn't get past the thought of there being a catch/ didn't want to look greedy/ ext

Then he repeated the experiment with only the booth and nobody attending it, in this instance, the money was gone almost immediately.

-----------------------------------------------

OT: I voted +1. I like to believe the majority of people care about the majority when the well being of the majority is considered.

I may be a bit more ruthless if it came down to a 1vs1 or small company type scenario, depending on how well off I am doing myself and how much I need those extra Internets.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Well lets see, Equality at all costs seems to be the flavour of the month and since some people have already voted for 3 internets the only way to ensure we all get an equal number of internets is to vote for 3 so that everyone gets none at all.

So, three internets for me please.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I chose 1 because I want to be a good person.

Incidentally, I believe the OP has recently been watching Crash Course, since this scenario was brought up there in a recent episode.

OP, can you confirm or deny?

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
3, because I'm still bitter about the Prisoner's Dilemma in Road to Gehenna and I want others to suffer as I have suffered.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
+1
It's only reasonable, really. Assuming others follow similar logic, and considering that the "perfect payout" situation, where the most internets is given out is a 10/90% split, the 3 internets votes generate only 1 internets to 3 generated by 1 internets votes. As such, odds of acquiring internets is tripled when selecting the 1 internets choice.

*looks at the results*

This is highly illogical, captain!

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
I chose +3 just to be a dick about it, but I also had a suspicion that it was already over 10%.

What does say about me an everyone else? I 'unno.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
this is quite an old social experiment, so here's my train of thought

I personally don't *need* internets and since empathy isn't exactly my thing, I just want to watch the world burn

one squirrel

Aug 11, 2014
Taking this Experiment more serously than it probably deserves, I chose +1. Judging the morals of my action by what would happen if everyone else acted the same, +1 for everyone is obviously better than nothing for anyone. Also, the overall amount of internets given away is is disproportionally stacked against the +3 option, since it would allow for 120 (100 +20) in best case, but 0 (100 -100)at min.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I chose one, because I don't trust others not to be greedy and one is better than none.

Sadly, I was right. ;____;

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
3 because there's no actual risk or need involved. Further, once enough people vote my greed becomes inconsequential. My vote on its own actually changes very little. Now this attitude as a whole may be a problem, however my vote alone does not promote this attitude. My post might but it seems unlikely given people will probably vote then read posts.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
What's an "internets" and why would I want 1 or 3 of them? For all I know you could be talking about explosive vomiting fits. More of something isn't necessarily better, and don't relly know what I'm getting myself into.

Jan 27, 2011
+1

Because I only need one to take over the world mwahahahahahaha.

That and I'm the kind of sucker who would fall for the prisoner's dilemma.