Poll: South Park... Ending?

CoffeeOfDoom

Jun 3, 2009
moose49408 said:
South Park used to be one of my favorite shows, but I have to say that I've really stopped caring about it in recent years. In fact, I don' think I've seen a new episode since last year sometime. I can't quite put my finger on it, but some where along the line the number of shows per season that I found myself really laughing at began to dwindle, and these days it's rare that I find the show funny anymore. Maybe it's because I just got desensitized to that kind of humor, maybe its because the show stopped being about the hi-jinx of four boys in a small mountain town and started being just another parody of pop-culture. Either way, I think I'd rather see Trey Parker and Matt Stone move on to something new.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.
I hardly ever laugh at the newer episodes, I used to think that maybe I'd grown out of it, but when I watch earlier episodes I still laugh my arse off - the humour's changed quite a bit from where it first started off, it seems like they're just trying to tie anything current into a storyline, even if it doesn't make sense or isn't funny in any way.

OT: I hope it does end, before it dies a slow and painful death.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
This can either go two ways: They either embrace the new direction and finish off the show with some much higher quality episodes, since they're more genuine, or they can go back on it next week, in which case, yeah, I'm done for good. The show has been stagnating, this is exactly what it needed, and if they back out now, I'm done, simple as.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
South Park has been going down the tubes for a while. I'll always remember the good times, but it is time.

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
It would be nice to see an animated American TV show end before it is cancelled due to an utter lack of interest by most of the viewing public for once.
They should take a cue from Seinfeld and let it go while people are still asking for more (even if substantially fewer than would have years ago) rather than waiting until they demand it stop wasting a time-slot a newer, better show could be occupying.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
i'll go with Crab People since the option of, it's just a cliffhanger nothing else and all will be resolved when it starts back.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
On the escapist, where the general opinion towards anything that is funny goes a bit like 'wah wah wah' of course this thread would be full of people saying it should end.

Personally, while a few of this seasons episodes have been bad I have really enjoyed from season 8 onwards. I think the show is going through some change, and maybe they are starting to wrap it up. The end of 'You're Getting Old' really took me by surprise, but I enjoyed it nontheless, I hope they follow this story arc seriously instead of doing something stupid.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
As bad as some of the new episodes are, it's still my favorite show. And every one of the last few seasons, have had really great episodes that keep it alive. Crack Baby Basketball was one of the best episodes ever.

I still love it and don't want it to go away, unless Trey and Matt get a new show, then it would be ok ;>

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
If it is the end, well I will be disappointed as I have enjoyed the show for the most part during its run. Life will go on though and in the end I'll just be watch a little less television.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Maybe Stan was a metaphor for the show in general, how it's gotten "past its prime" and now a lot of people just see it as a douche bag pissing on everything for no real reason, time to move on.

/shrug.

Hope it doesn't end, was just getting into the show myself.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It wouldn't be horrible if it did end. I don't want South Park to get stale and stop being funny. Yes, I think it's very funny. What other show has an episode where Cthulhu crushes Justin Bieber? That scene alone makes the series one of my favorites.

SpireOfFire

Dec 4, 2009
south park went the way of the simpsons: its been around so long it stopped being funny. it stopped being funny about 5 years ago. end it please.

Shihan2

Apr 14, 2009
I'm a little torn. The episode that got me into the series, good times with ninja weapons is my all-time favorite and in my mind is the point where South Park peaked. Yeah, they had some good episodes, like Imaginationland where it went back to weird silliness, but this last season has been substandard. I think Matt and Trey are ready to do other things as evidence of their play, and the 200-201 controversy didn't help. The only thing I'd ask is that they end the series a little better instead of this mediocre season.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I couldn't care either way, for me anyway South Park has been hit or miss. But I would imagine it'll be over soon, I mean it's been on for over a decade and has been degrading as it goes on.

silent_noir_67

May 31, 2011
South Park, in my mind is one of the more cleverly written shows on tv right now.

I really would like to see Matt and Trey try something different though. Doing the same tv show for 15 years (while doing other stuff on the side) is a bit stagnating no matter what because they're just confined to those characters. It would be nice to see what they can come up with other avenues.

As for south park? it has 15 seasons...plenty of re-watch value. I actually thought the last episode was quite sincere and actually invoked some real emotion to see Stan and his friends drift away from each other.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
Considering the fact that the two have talked in interviews over and over again about how draining South Park is and how they'd like to branch out into other things, as well as the runaway success of The Book of Mormon, I really do think there's a chance they'll do something mondo ridiculous with the premise of the show in an effort to infuse some new situational comedy into the mix. I mean, think about it: supporting characters have come and gone, but for 14 out of 15 seasons, it's basically been the same four kids doing surprisingly un kid-like stuff. And season 5 was only different because there was no Kenny, and I'd like to point out that that brought the show from one-note pointlessness to *echo chamber* CULTURALLY RELEVANT SATIRE.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
Considering how absolutely AWESOME the Crack Baby Basketball episode was, not only for the humor, but both the subtle and not so subtle humor they laced that episode with, I still think they got it. Looking at the seasons in succession, I only see them getting more and more good episodes as the show has been evolving. I think the people that complain about it are showing their intelligence (or lack thereof) by saying its getting worse when really I see it as them getting much much better at their craft. PLUS, considering how the internet is bombarding us with more and more for them to make fun of, I don't see them running out of ideas anytime soon.

TL;DR Haters gonna hate. Show still rules.