Poll: Speculation - Morrowind Remake

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
want modernized morrowind? *points to those crazy modders*

some people got morrowind to look better than oblivion, which just explodes my mind honestly. i'm nearly certain they could recreate morrowind in the skyrim engine easy peasy.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Morrowind with modern graphics and voice talent? Sure. Improved combat that doesn't feel like that Diablo point-click drudge? Fantastic. Getting rid of all those Cliff Racers so I don't have to reenact that scene from that Hitchcock movie every time I exit my house? GOTY material right here.

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
was actually just thinking about the possibility of a morrowind remake a few days ago. I hope it happens

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
... I've never beaten Morrowind...

*hides in shame*

Although, I've been playing through a new game since I reinstalled September. I never beat it, but I would play the heck out of it years ago, despite that. I've never played Oblivion either, so I think I'd place that first, but definitely, I'd get it... eventually.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Well...the reveal that Oblivion and Morrowind were in Skyrim's code somewhere you can get to with cheats and mods only...well

How about Oblivion and Morrowind DLC for Skyrim in which you can experience the two games in Skyrim's system with all the skills and weapons from both Oblivion and Morrowind.

Basically an improvement for all 3 games with all the detail for the other two in each DLC.
Obviously the DLC will be expensive but hey, it'd be worth it.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'd buy it sure, but I'd rather they made a new game instead. They can get that magic in a new game, definitely, and there's so much more to see.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
dave1004 said:
No, I wouldn't. What's the point? I'd rather that BethSoft added the rest of the world to Skyrim as it is.

They could have expansion packs...Cyrodil, Hammerfall, Morrowind, Vvar...var...vah...Whatever that elfy-forest place is...

You know, it'd be so much better. A gigantic, literal world to explore. Why release "The Elder Scrolls 6!!" in half a decade, when they could just release new chunks of Tamriel?

Just...my two cents.
Damn you sneaky ninjas!
But yes, Bethesda get on this and bring the old worlds in as $40-50 expansion packs.
Getting all the areas together into one huge world... that would just be the shit, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Sjakie said:
If it has:

levitation
spears
crossbows
all armorslots it had in the original
non-scaling enemies

...hell, even if it did not, still a must have.
Newbie question, why did they removed all that? I'd love to see that in Skyrim.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
viking97 said:
want modernized morrowind? *points to those crazy modders*

some people got morrowind to look better than oblivion, which just explodes my mind honestly. i'm nearly certain they could recreate morrowind in the skyrim engine easy peasy.
This. There is really no reason to make a graphical remake of Morrowind, because it is fairly easy (albeit somewhat time consuming) to make Morrowind look almost as good as Skyrim.

The game they should remake is Daggerfall, because that game is even more outdated and clunky than Morrowind, and it lacks the mod tools to modernize it. Unfortunately, a Daggerfall remake would be even more difficult and time consuming than a Morrowind remake.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
dave1004 said:
No, I wouldn't. What's the point? I'd rather that BethSoft added the rest of the world to Skyrim as it is.

They could have expansion packs...Cyrodil, Hammerfall, Morrowind, Vvar...var...vah...Whatever that elfy-forest place is...

You know, it'd be so much better. A gigantic, literal world to explore. Why release "The Elder Scrolls 6!!" in half a decade, when they could just release new chunks of Tamriel?

Just...my two cents.
Gonna have to disagree with you on that.

For one: Elder Scrolls games are BIG. It takes them five years of development to craft an epic world and fill it with compelling quests, unique areas and interesting characters, and they can do so because they know a shitload of people will pay the 60$ to buy it. While their expansion packs can be pretty good, they don't put nearly as much resources into them as the full game. If they recreated the entire area of Morrowind with the same effort they put into an expansion, the result would be butchered, empty, half-assed, and not worth playing.

For two: The Elder Scrolls plot is always progressing. If you pay attention to the lore, the time gap has affected the events of the game as much as the region you play in. In fact, your actions as the Nerevarine in Morrowind had some pretty devastating consequences, and I'm sure your actions in Skyrim will affect the next game. It's always interesting to see how Tamriel changes over time and if they simply added areas to the game, we would never see that.

Third and most importantly: Skyrim isn't perfect. For a series with five titles under its belt, Bethesda still doesn't have the mechanics down to a science. I'm not too big on the graphics which will obviously be improved, but I already see ways Bethesda can make the mechanics better once Elder Scrolls Six comes out. Imagine if they simply added areas to Oblivion instead of making an Elder Scrolls Five, people would hate it since Oblivion sucks compared to modern day games. (seriously, I hate that game and it should go away :p)

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hey guys. Did you know that Bethesday actually built all of Tamriel into Skyrim? This includes Cyrodiil and Morrowind.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/channels/showbiz/tv-guide/skyrim-has-whole-tamriel-144

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
ALL THE YESES POSSIBLE.

Gimme Vvardenfell, Solstheim's, and what the hell the rest of Morrowind's landmass, leave the skills/gameplay system intact, take away the dice-rolling when it comes to landing hits with your weapon, give it a fresh coat of paint, add physics so I can actually move my shit around as I please, leave the menu layout intact, and you have me dying of joy.

I don't need voice acting. I don't even want it. Leave the Radiant behavior bullcrap out too. The less ancilliary shit that unnecessarily fills in blanks my mind already did, the more time you can put into polishing the engine and fixing bugs.

Ohh, to dream...

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
jonyboy13 said:
Sjakie said:
If it has:

levitation
spears
crossbows
all armorslots it had in the original
non-scaling enemies

...hell, even if it did not, still a must have.
Newbie question, why did they removed all that? I'd love to see that in Skyrim.
The technical term for it is: streamlining, or what the veterans of pc gaming call: dumbing down. Allthough most of that concerns the massive numbers game that was behind the gameplay of morrowind, Skyrim doesnt have that problem
I guess its all about making a game less complex so new players, or new to the genre, can get into it better.
Morrowind was kinda overwhelming when i played it the first time and it took me quite a while to grasp all of it and stop wondering why that mudcrab killed me so easy on my first play.
Yet, when i finally did, it felt like pure victory and it gave way to even beter fighting strategies and more versatile ways to play(but levitation was kind of a gamebreaker tbh)

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Dimitriov said:
YES!

But NOT with the Skyrim system. That would be stupid. Skyrim doesn't have: spears, throwing weapons, crossbows, staves, etc. AND THOSE WERE ALL AWESOME!

What would be the point of playing Morrowind if I can't get the Spear of Bitter Mercy?

Edit:
Rex Dark said:
Morrowind without voiceless npc that only show text?
Yes.
You leave my text alone! It beats the crap out of voice over in my opinion. I LIKE to read several paragraphs every time I talk to an npc. How am I supposed to know I am playing an rpg otherwise?
now I've never played Morrowind, but idk why anyone would want a crossbow in a fantasy game. In order to simply load a crossbow, you've gotta have a special hook on your belt, stop, bend over, put the crossbow on the ground with the front hook under your foot, and the bow part connected to your belt hook, and bend upward to pull the bow into place. that really doesn't seem as fast paced or as awesome as just pulling a string and watching the arrow fly

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
tthor said:
now I've never played Morrowind, but idk why anyone would want a crossbow in a fantasy game. In order to simply load a crossbow, you've gotta have a special hook on your belt, stop, bend over, put the crossbow on the ground with the front hook under your foot, and the bow part connected to your belt hook, and bend upward to pull the bow into place. that really doesn't seem as fast paced or as awesome as just pulling a string and watching the arrow fly
Well it depends on the type of crossbow, a simple latch crossbow can be re-cocked by hand but has less power, or an arbalest has a winch witch makes things easier. But the advantage in Morrowind was you could carry one ready to fire all the time, you didn't have to draw and release, so you could shoot an enemy for a lot of damage and then draw your sword. You also had throwing knives and darts and other ranged option, whitch is something people like, choice.

shabobble

Oct 28, 2009
I want an Elsweyr DLC simply because a location literally pronounced "Elsewhere" is the laziest place-name I've ever seen in an RPG, so obviously the place itself has to be AWESOME.

By the same token, Pandaren in WoW should be cool too. Stupid joke that became game content. Must be awesome.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Dimitriov said:
YES!

But NOT with the Skyrim system. That would be stupid. Skyrim doesn't have: spears, throwing weapons, crossbows, staves, etc. AND THOSE WERE ALL AWESOME!
Skyrim has staves. :\ Unless you're talking about quarterstaff type weapons. But otherwise, you'd better bet it has staves.

OT: I'm of the opinion that Morrowind wasn't that great, actually. It had some really memorable architecture and atmosphere here and there, but for every Vivec there was about twelve square kilometers of blank ashen wasteland with nothing in it.