Poll: Spider-Man film following Miles Morales yay or nay?

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
SpectacularWebHead said:
Yeah, but they better change the fuck out Miles' Personality and age. He is SO FUCKING ANNOYING. I'd love to see a black superhero get a decent movie, and currently Miles' is one of the only that could be introduced into his own franchise (Maybe Nick Fury, but He's pretty tied to avengers, and Maaybe Batwing, but he comes after the fifth robin and can't just be introduced immediatly.)

I am in favour of this if they make Miles 16 years old and less irritating as he is in the comics.
marvels planning a black panther film, so you will get your wish there most likely.

i really not bothered who plays spiderman really, pick an ethnicity its going to pretty much the same thing in the end, you can shoot web for some reason and you will swing around in a unitard fighting other animal themed villains.

anyone else thinking its a little on the nose that the kids suit is mainly black?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Jiggy said:
Actually, in the case of human language it is determined by democratic vote.
Words are only symbols of the concepts they're meant to convey, so the consensus on their meaning has limited usefulness when discussing how one, specific individual seems to be using them.

Jiggy said:
I'm also not saying that you are as a matter of fact incorrect, but that you are foolish in pointing it out because everyone else realizes precisely what is to be understood.
Yeah, yeah, I'm about to get crushed under the weight of the forces aligned against me. I get it. Please god find a new point.

Jiggy said:
What do you not believe? That he did not literally mean "fact?"
Yes. From what little I know of him (which mostly consists of an argument of about a dozen posts each in another thread), SaneAmongInsane is the kind of person who, when an idea enters his head, treats that idea as absolute fact until someone comes along and demonstrates with irrefutable proof that he is wrong.

Jiggy said:
You can tell that to yourself; it isn't true, though.
Heh.

Jiggy said:
You are trying too hard to convey that you "don't care." If you didn't care you wouldn't have responded to begin with.
No, I'm trying to convey disdain for your continued attempts to use the illusion of popular opinion against me. I was hoping that if I mocked it enough, you'd find a different tactic. Looks like not; ah, well. Life is cruel like that.

Jiggy said:
So you don't only fail at communicating online?
No, I very rarely have to repeat myself in person.

Jiggy said:
And no, you aren't coming across as pedantic.
Drat.

Jiggy said:
No, as a matter of fact I didn't actually mention his race until I edited my original post long after giving his name.
You're still the one who brought up his race as if it is somehow relevant, and you still chose to place it in order before any other of the features you used to describe him. I think that says something.

Jiggy said:
I do know that he is half Hispanic, yet when I look at him I see a black kid, just like everyone else will at first look.
Uh huh.

Jiggy said:
Peter Parker is Spider-Man [...]
He is not the only Spider-Man.

Jiggy said:
[...] and Peter Parker is white.
There's this story a teacher of mine once told me, probably apocryphal but who cares, about an aspiring playwright from back in the day when plays were the preferred form of artistic expression. He sent some long, thick manuscript to whoever his idol in the business was, asking for his opinion on the massive slab of paper he mailed for critique. His idol mailed back a single sentence in response:

"Dear sir, if you include a gun on the mantelpiece, please be sure that someone is shot by the end of the third act."

The moral of that story is that unless something is deliberately useful in a story, it has no sacred place in it and should be abandoned. Peter Parker's Caucasian heritage informs nothing in particular about the Spider-Man story, and there is no reason to enshrine it outside of racially motivated xenophobia.

Jiggy said:
Obviously a audience that does not know who Miles Morales is, but knows who Spider-Man is, will have no clue why Spider-Man is a black kid named Miles all of a sudden.
That is the entire bloody point of watching a movie: to find out whom the protagonist is.

Jiggy said:
I don't really care if you would like to "nurture" that kind of attitude; that is how things are.
And I do not want that to be how things are because I find it sad and vaguely contemptible, so I support anything that defies that particular status quo. Change does not occur by accepting things as they are.

ramboondiea said:
Anyone else thinking it's a little on the nose that the kid's suit is mainly black?
Yeah, a little.