Poll: Star Wars Episode VII vs Avengers: Age of Ultron, who will make more money.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Sean Renaud said:
As a Star Wars fanboy and moderate Marvel Fan I think Star Wars is gonna get destroyed here. Despite the good(ish) will built up between their recent cartoons the stink of the prequels is still floating around. And Marvel can do no wrong at this point.

Saturation point? They just sold a talking racoon and walking tree and most people feel THAT was one of the best in the MCU at this point. There is also the difference between summer (kids have lots of time off and a fair amount of adults either have more flexible schedules are are simply willing to make the time for their kids. Just the releases aren't really fair. The only upside for Star Wars in winter is that it'll get close to 100% of it's target audience. Avengers will have to compete with other summer stuff that will at least soak up some of it's sales, Star Wars will mostly be up against Oscar Bait and lets be honest the people going to watch the kinds of movies who get Oscars weren't going to watch Star Wars to begin with.

Besides Marvel's problem which I think will hit them hard over the next few years isn't saturation, it's lock out. Take a moment and soak in that Ironman dropped in 2008, Avengers: Infinity War Pt II will drop in 2019. That's eleven years with a movie nearly ever year, two seasons (and running) of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and one of Agent Carter. Watched back to back we're talking about close to four solid days of watching television right now to catch up and we're four years from the projected "end". At some point older fans are gonna start dropping off for lots of reasons (boredom, death, missed a few and can't catch up) and new fans are gonna take one look at it see the huge commitment and decide to go watch that other movie.

Disney needs to hire someone to do an abridged STAT.
LOL
"end"
That's not the end.
That just the end of Phase 3.

They have plans for the MCU all the way out til AT LEAST the year 2028.

You can jump on anywhere and ride along as much as you like.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
I think starwars can win this

what we need is a a full length trailer and to start building the hype machine
and if its a great film

it will beat avengers record as starwars comes out in christmas and Jan is the toilet bowl of movies so if starwars is amazing it can make a lot of customers in jan as well

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
My money's on Star Wars, even I went to screenings of the second and third episodes when I knew in my heart they would let me down. There's a lot who's going to go because it's Star Wars and for better or worse they will want to see it.

Now, for which will be the more enjoyable film? That's a personal opinion bun fight, but I genuinely think it'll be Avengers 2. Abrams makes technically proficient movies, they follow a good formula, have a plot that keeps you interested as you watch and great special effects. However they have no soul, there's nothing that sticks with you when you leave the theatre, you don't go out and have a feeling or sensation that's all new, just that you've seen a fun film that was perfectly enjoyable.

It's like he's seen many films and emulates what he's seen very well but he doesn't understand the reasons why behind what he's emulating was put in the film, the heart of the movie, the idea. Instead of sequences servicing an idea the plot services the sequences to have a string of 'cool' stuff happening.

He did this with both Star Treks and whilst I enjoyed both films they're not Star Trek films, they do not capture the spirit of Star Trek, just package a generic sci-action movie it in a sleek updated outfit with some genuinely well acted scenes and nerd culture canon call outs. Star Trek is Science Fiction, it explores what makes us human and what's important as humanity, not a series of Kirk's a slut gags and fight scenes.

Marvel on the other-hand, their movies tell a tale, there's a story unwinding in each and theme building along the collective. The resurgence and popularity is because they understand the element Abrams misses and why they stand above DC movies including even the better DC's done by Nolan as he is far too similar to Abrams in his approach, technically very proficient but no soul.

But, as the question asked, Star Wars will rake in the most, I'm not sure it'll even be close.

LauriJ

Mar 1, 2012
Well, both Lucasfilm and Marvel are owned bt Disney, right? So, I guess it doesn't really matter in the end...

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Parasondox said:
After that trailer today, is the hype building up for Star Wars fans?
I felt it was better than the first trailer. As a huge SW fan, I'm already hyped for a new movie. Still, I feel Avengers 2 will make more money. If SW knocks it out of the park with this film, though, SW 8 will likely make more than Avengers 3, assuming they come out the same year. I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Star Wars

The Avengers 2 trailers have seriously failed to hype me. This is a movie I'm interesting in seeing but I feel no reason to rush out to the theater to do so. Especially when Marvel movies/content is a dime a dozen now. I know that some people have already started to grow tired of the superhero trend in movies to boot. This is not at all to say the movie will do poorly mind you...just to try and justify why it won't do quite as well as Star Wars.

The Star Wars teaser that's released gives a strong feeling of nostalgia for the franchise. I feel like Star Wars is just a stronger brand globally and people will want to rush out and see this because of the theater experience and to mock it/praise it. People who loathed ep 1-3 still seem interested in this one. I'm not sure that Avengers 2 will bring in people who are sick of superhero movies.

Personal note: I don't enjoy the movie going experience so I plan to see neither. That said, if I had to go I'd see Star Wars simply because the trailers look much better than those of Avengers 2 to me. This is despite the fact that I didn't care for the recent Star Wars movies and yet loved the original Avengers. I'll probably see these movies in a few years or when I get to borrow a version of it a family/friend purchased.