Poll: Starcraft 2 normal-$59.99 , Collection Edition-$100

Greeboz

Nov 9, 2009
Honestly, I'll feel like I'm getting ripped off if I don;t buy the CE. All of that can easily be priced between $60-$80 without the game. Or maybe I'm just that bad at economics.

I wonder if the Starcraft on the flashdrive works on Mac. If so, I know what to when I bored during classes.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Warcraft 3 was the last Blizzard game i Enjoyed, i remember seeing somewhere they were considering making Diablo 3 p2p. that post may be around here somewhere..

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
Altorin said:
AC10 said:
In Canada the normal version is $70, what's the deal?
For those of you who don't know, 1 CAD = 0.998454 USD

Or rather, 60.00 USD = 60.0929 CAD

Fuck you Blizzard. Also, fuck you Activsion for your high price points.
Didn't they get the memo that most PC games are $50 dollars? And they want me to fork over fucking SEVENTY for the base package?
canada always gets the shaft in that regard. Our economy is designed for the dollar to be less valuable then the US. Whenever it reaches Par or god forbid, higher, we get fucked.
YOU THINK YOU'VE GOT IT BAD?!?!?!?

Check out the Australian prices.

1 Australian dollar = 0.932 U.S. dollars

Buy it in the US for $60 USD
or
Buy it in Australia for $100 AUD or after converting: $93.3050 USD

WHAT?!?! $30 increase?!?!!??!

Get.
Fucked.
Blizzard.

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
Gwarr said:
Did I mention this contains only the terran campaign and that the Protos and Zerg will all have their own CE? How money hungry can you get?
Can someone tell me why you only get one campaign in the game? Shouldn't you get them all? And if not as DLC or something?

Everything else is fine, I just don't get why they shipping the game with seperate campaigns. Just doesn't really make sense to me.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Altorin said:
Let me tell you what the $100 Ce contains
* The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game

30-40 dollars by itself

* An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor's dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War® expansion set

30-40 dollars

* A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director's commentary, and more

10-20 dollars

* The official StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty soundtrack CD, containing 14 epic tracks from the game along with exclusive bonus tracks

14 dollars

* StarCraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the comic series

3 dollars

* A World of Warcraft® mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net account

10 dollars

* Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit

10-20 dollars

So even just the bonuses are worth at least as much as the extra content, if not MUCH MUCH more.

If the book is softcover, it'd be about 25 dollars, but if it's hardcover, it'd easily be worth 40 dollars. Custom USB flashdrive with both Starcraft and Broodwars Preloaded onto it? Easily 30 dollars, if not much more. Buying them on Ebay after its release they may cost hundreds each. Behind the Scenes DVDs are hard to price, but they're basically the Required bit of CEs, which are typically 10-20 dollars more then standard, so that's what I priced it. Sound Track CDs cost about 14 bucks. A comic book costs about 3-4 bucks, so I'll say 3. The price of premium WoW pets in the Pet Shop are 10 dollars. Exclusive DLC is easily worth 10 dollars. Depending on how good it is, it could be worth 20.

Even if my numbers are slightly off, I say quit bitching
You would pay that? I feel poor..

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
John Funk said:
Bzzzt. Sorry, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

You can play singleplayer offline, you just won't get the goodies like achievements, decals, stat tracking, friends lists, etc - just like Steam.
Uh.. arn't stats and achievements also recorded on Steam when you're offline? I might be wrong tho, oh well.

I think the prices sound ok aslong as we get full multiplayer and a long and/or very good terran singleplayer campaign.

Does anyone know if the invite-a-friend emails were just sent in one single wave to all the people that had the beta at the time or do recently joined beta testers also get an invite-a-friend email?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
ThePirateMan said:
John Funk said:
Bzzzt. Sorry, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

You can play singleplayer offline, you just won't get the goodies like achievements, decals, stat tracking, friends lists, etc - just like Steam.
Uh.. arn't stats and achievements also recorded on Steam when you're offline? I might be wrong tho, oh well.

I think the prices sound ok aslong as we get full multiplayer and a long and/or very good terran singleplayer campaign.

Does anyone know if the invite-a-friend emails were just sent in one single wave to all the people that had the beta at the time or do recently joined beta testers also get an invite-a-friend email?
Steam stats & achievements aren't saved offline. And there was only one wave of Invite-A-Friend e-mails (as far as I know, Funk is in a better position to answer that question).

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
Jesus Christ. I'm sorry but what is wrong with you people? You don't think it's worth $100 then don't fucking buy it. It's really not that hard a concept to grasp!

EDIT: Also people keep on saying it's $60 for a 1/3 of a game. No it's not. It's $60 for a game. Why? Because the Terran campaign is longer than all three of the campaigns in Starcraft combined. Therefore, buying the three campaigns is exactly the same as buying three starcraft games with 3 campaigns inside each. And assuming that the other ones cost what an expansion would cost, then you're actually saving quite a bit of money. $60 for the first one, say $20 for each campaign. Oh! Look at that, $100 for 3 games, dunno bout you but that sounds pretty good to me.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Red Right Hand said:
Jesus Christ. I'm sorry but what is wrong with you people? You don't think it's worth $100 then don't fucking buy it. It's really not that hard a concept to grasp!

EDIT: Also people keep on saying it's $60 for a 1/3 of a game. No it's not. It's $60 for a game. Why? Because the Terran campaign is longer than all three of the campaigns in Starcraft combined. Therefore, buying the three campaigns is exactly the same as buying three starcraft games with 3 campaigns inside each. And assuming that the other ones cost what an expansion would cost, then you're actually saving quite a bit of money. $60 for the first one, say $20 for each campaign. Oh! Look at that, $100 for 3 games, dunno bout you but that sounds pretty good to me.
On a similar note, I don't recall much whinging from Company of Heroes fans when Opposing Forces and Tales of Valour was released.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
ciortas1 said:
Gwarr said:
ciortas1 said:
"reading comprehension fail".
No , that's how the game retail will look . You looked the Blizzcon information? You will need to be 100% online even for single player . Check it out if you haven't.

And I doubt they'll let you play Starcraft 2 WOL when the proto or zerg expansion comes . Either that or you'll be alone as everyone would be moving on( Not saying 2 days after release there will be no WOL matches but in about a year after their prot-zerg xpac launches you will find yourself very isolated.) .

They wont add only new missions , they'll add new units .( either that or I've been misinformed by people I play beta with.)
I may be wrong about having to be online during single player (which, even if true, would be stupid if as draconic as something like in AC2 or C&C4, and Blizz ain't stupid), yes, you will unlock Bnet things by playing single player and that might be the reasoning for it anyway (same thing as with Steam, perhaps?).

About the expansions, I must still refer you to D2 or W3. Warcraft 3, I know for a fact, had thousands of players playing even 3 years after TFT launched. If you're cheap enough to hold on to your inferior product, it's you and only you there is to blame.
It's important to point out, too, that the expansions won't be coming within 3 months of each other or anything, so I'm sure you can save up 5 bucks a month.
Out of curiosity, if you play offline on Steam and (possibly) this game, then log in, do you then get your achievements? Me, I'd pay that. I may well pay that. That's an awesome deal, as everyone pointed out, and I don't actually play WoW.

Cornish

Mar 19, 2010
While the collectors edition doesn't look that bad... if you like pointless junk. (Let's be honest here, it's 'hoarding' junk) The price is a tad high and I'm wondering or the game will be long enough and have enough value... as it's cut up in three sections.

I won't buy it, but that's not because of the prices. Just not my game anymore.

backlashhg

Mar 31, 2010
Gwarr said:
That was almost one year ago . Those features could probably include the ability to save the game , do skirmishes . For all we know , you're the clueless idiot stating facts on "maybes".
You're right, baseless speculation is just as valid as what's been clearly stated. After all, for all we know, you're a viral marketer for EA trolling a competitor's product.

Its pretty sad that you could state something so flatly (which is completely false- you even said it repeatedly as if you have a hotline with Blizzard's dev team) and when I point out its completely false, you pull out the "for all we know" BS. Acknowledge your mistake.

You've been trolling with this thread from the start with FUD, and flat-out falsehoods, so I'm not going to take you seriously, especially after you can't admit your blatant mistake:

No , that's how the game retail will look . You looked the Blizzcon information? You will need to be 100% online even for single player . Check it out if you haven't.
Did you saw the content of the CE? Also the game is 1/3 . They'll launch another 3 games god damn it .
1/3 You have only terran campaign and multiplayer . DID I mention you need to be always online even to play the single player?
And I doubt they'll let you play Starcraft 2 WOL when the proto or zerg expansion comes . Either that or you'll be alone as everyone would be moving on( Not saying 2 days after release there will be no WOL matches but in about a year after their prot-zerg xpac launches you will find yourself very isolated.) .

They wont add only new missions , they'll add new units .( either that or I've been misinformed by people I play beta with.)
Maybe I wasn't so off with the viral marketer bit after all.

E_nchanted

Jan 18, 2009
Xzi said:
E_nchanted said:
Xzi said:
1. The 2GB USB drive with Starcraft/expansion is a $20-$25 value. Including SC2, that's $80.

2. If you don't play WoW, you could easily resell the pet code for $20-$30 on eBay. Including SC2 and the USB drive, that's a $100+ value.

That isn't even taking into consideration everything else you get. Blizzard has always released some of the best CEs around, and this is no exception. Being whiny about cross-promotion doesn't change that.
Do you honestly beleave yourself?. I mean really, who are you trying to fool.
How bloody ignorant can you be..
WTF, you seriously trying to call me out on this? Blizzard sells special WoW pets for $10. Blizzcon pets/limited edition pets sell for at least $20 to begin with, and as time goes on their value goes up.

A 2GB USB stick is about $5-$10. Cheapest you can get Starcraft new on Amazon is $18. http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-Pc/dp/B00000DMAI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270840386&sr=8-3

Expansion: $8. http://www.amazon.com/Best-Seller-Starcraft-Expansion-Brood-Pc/dp/B00009ECD8/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270840439&sr=8-23

That's $31 at minimum. Not including shipping for this stuff. $31 + $20 = $51 + retail SC2 at $60 = $111. This has nothing to do with BELIEF, it's fact, you noob.
Just because someone sells an Item for a fixed price doesn't mean its actually WORTH that amount of money, if I put my Iphone Online for ?600 it wont mean its actually worth ?600

and no way in hell is Starcrafts CE worth ?100. Period!

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
ciortas1 said:
brunothepig said:
ciortas1 said:
Gwarr said:
ciortas1 said:
"reading comprehension fail".

I may be wrong about having to be online during single player (which, even if true, would be stupid if as draconic as something like in AC2 or C&C4, and Blizz ain't stupid), yes, you will unlock Bnet things by playing single player and that might be the reasoning for it anyway (same thing as with Steam, perhaps?).

About the expansions, I must still refer you to D2 or W3. Warcraft 3, I know for a fact, had thousands of players playing even 3 years after TFT launched. If you're cheap enough to hold on to your inferior product, it's you and only you there is to blame.
It's important to point out, too, that the expansions won't be coming within 3 months of each other or anything, so I'm sure you can save up 5 bucks a month.
Out of curiosity, if you play offline on Steam and (possibly) this game, then log in, do you then get your achievements? Me, I'd pay that. I may well pay that. That's an awesome deal, as everyone pointed out, and I don't actually play WoW.
I'm afraid you can't earn achievements in offline mode of Steam, which is a bit of a bugger. But Steam doesn't throw you out of the game if you play while logged in and lose connection, you just have to wait a little 'til Steam reconnects if you don't wanna miss any achievements. Now if you don't have an even decent connection at all, and only plan on playing offline, what would you even want those achievements for? To show off in front of your guests? :p

I have a hunch Bnet will work like that, although if WoW's achievements have taught me anything, it's that they could be rewarded retrospect. Let's hope that happens with SC2 too.
Would be nice. I have a lovely wireless connection, but I also have a laptop for the portability lol... Not everywhere I go has internets, especially not an easily accessible/good connection. And Steam should get onto that with any more games. Surely all you have to do is keep track of them in game, then when people do log in the server just checks what ones you have and updates... It's not exactly hard.

Devilrose25

Mar 19, 2010
Getting the CE, for a game that may last 5 years or even a decade? Hell yeah ! :DD

Now blizzard gimme the release date please?

Sev72

Apr 13, 2009
I will be buying the game solely for multiplayer so I consider the price to be fine.

By the way I like all these indignant posts about game companies "bribing" people to buy their games. No, they are a business, they are advertising and providing incentives to someone so they will buy their product so they make more money.

*gasp* Blizzard is a company?

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Red Right Hand said:

I kind of agree. Though some people might want that length of the terren campaign in a Protoss campaign because they like them more. It doesn't matter too much to me. I'm buying it as long as there are offline 1 player vs. bots + custom map making. IS there?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Only read the first page, but that CE looks like it's well worth the cost. I'll be buying it. Hell, the artbook alone would make it 'worth it', but a specially designed USB with SC, an hour of Dev interviews, an OST, a comic book, special unit decals/thor design and a WoW pet?

All for $40(£26)?

How is that not worth it?