Poll: Steam only gamers?

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Yikes. In my post-sold-my-Xbox eagerness, I almost picked the "100% Steam" option. But I also use GOG on occasion (and is technically my preferred seller thanks to being DRM-free, but Steam usually beats it due to the game in question not being available on GOG or not being as cheap as on Steam), and used Amazon to buy the Mass Effect Trilogy when it went on sale there (which unfortunately also necessitated downloading Origin, but I'll be buggered if I ever actually buy a game directly through that "service").

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Mostly steam, but a while back I picked up Sins of a Solar Empire on Impulse, and more recently I picked up Descent 1&2 as well as the D&D complete collection from GoG

Oh, and I bought guild wars 2 at guildwars2.com :p

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
I have so many games I bought for various sales on Steam that I have never played and don't have any immediate plans to play. If only awesome games would stop popping up so I could catch up.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
100% Steam here. If it's not in my Steam library, I will forget that I own it.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
Windcaler said:
I tend to buy the majority of my games from GoG.com assuming they have what I want. This is one of the major problems with most of the AAA games that come to PC. You can usually only get them on Steam, a service I don't want to use but what can you do? If you want to support the devs behind a great game you have to settle with buying from steam

One thing I started doing about 6 months ago is to go to the developers website to see if I can cut out the middle man and pay the devs directly. Generally I can get the games even cheaper from the devs and I can have the satisfaction that I know it all goes to them instead of a DD service taking a cut and of course the bonus of that is I don't have to deal with steams annoying DRM
curious, what dev's are you directly buying from? and where are you finding it "cheaper" than the services?

i'm not mocking you or anything, i generally would like to know so i can do the same.

(unless you're one of those bloody indie hipster gamers...*shudders* just kidding)
The big one I remember is Arma 2. Before DayZ I had never heard of Arma but like everyone I got into that game but I had to buy DayZ to get it. It was cheapest on Bohemia's site which was a couple bucks cheaper then the steam price (not a sale obviously). I plan to try out arma 3 as well

Right now Killing floor can be purchased from Tripwire for $30 and the last time I looked on STEAM the "complete" edition was $40. That said, Im actually going to buy that because I love killing floor and because I get some new bonuses

FTL (if you didnt kickstart it) was $10 I think (Im not 100$ sure I kickstarted it) and last time I looked at it on steam it was $15

Megabyte punch is going for 7.50 right now and when it gets on steam I bet its going to be $10-15

Dont Starve is $15 on their site, and $15 on steam. I would rather pay the devs in full then let steam take a cut for the privilege of the game being on steam

So yeah its mostly indies that have that going for them and I for one am happy to pay a cheaper price to indies then pay a more expensive price and let steam take a cut of it. Plus indie games are awesome, without them we would be playing the same monotonous sludge Activision pumps out year after year. I like some crazy stuff like Sang Froid, Killing floor, FTL, Mark of the Ninja, Megabyte punch, and Sanctum

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I love Steam as a service and have about 350 games in my library but I also patronize GOG.com, where I have purchased over 50 games and the Humble Bundle, which I am not sure how many bundles I have bought but it is several.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
there is only 3 games i have not bought from steam in many years, mass effect 3, battlefield 3, and star wars the old republic. till this day i still feel unclean for using origin.

p.s. also mine craft, i did not buy mine craft on steam.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Windcaler said:
Dont Starve is $15 on their site, and $15 on steam. I would rather pay the devs in full then let steam take a cut for the privilege of the game being on steam
Actually most indie guys have come out and said that they prefer gamers buy their games on Steam, because it boosts them in the charts and the higher their visibility on Steam the vastly higher their sales get. So you may actually not be helping them as much as you think.

I tend not to buy straight from developers not because of that though, but just because it is much easier to manage my games through Steam, and I have my friend's list there, there is Cloud Sync for supported games which is nice because I game on multiple computers, not to mention the fact that you can bring your library anywhere you want on a portable hard drive, which is pretty cool.

Of course if a game is on GOG.com I'll buy it there first because I support no DRM and of course if WWIII happens and the internet goes out I can still play those games. Provided we have power at all and no super mutants are wandering the streets.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Amir Kondori said:
Windcaler said:
Actually most indie guys have come out and said that they prefer gamers buy their games on Steam, because it boosts them in the charts and the higher their visibility on Steam the vastly higher their sales get. So you may actually not be helping them as much as you think.

I tend not to buy straight from developers not because of that though, but just because it is much easier to manage my games through Steam, and I have my friend's list there, there is Cloud Sync for supported games which is nice because I game on multiple computers, not to mention the fact that you can bring your library anywhere you want on a portable hard drive, which is pretty cool.

Of course if a game is on GOG.com I'll buy it there first because I support no DRM and of course if WWIII happens and the internet goes out I can still play those games. Provided we have power at all and no super mutants are wandering the streets.
See that might be ok if I actually liked steam. I dont. I dont care for it because its just more DRM riddled nonsense that gets in the way of my gaming. Besides if I like a game Ill tell people about it doing my own word of mouth which has more pull with my friends, family, and aquantiences then any ranking chart ever will. I mean think about it, are you more likely to buy a game because you see it high up in the rankings or because a friend (or even stranger) says its awesome?

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
I only use Steam when I have to, which is rarely ever.

GoG > steam. I don't like dRm of any kind. And I also prefer older games in many cases (Etrian series excluded)

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
Love having all my games in one place, plus the sales and deals are always tempting. Unless I'm preordering a hard copy, it's pretty much always Steam.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Apart from a few games I buy at release and some Humble Bundles (which tend to use Steamworks anyway or include Steam codes) I get most of my games during Steam Sales.

Of course I also aquire games from Kickstarters but they too are:

Involved with a deal with Valve to distribute on Steam as well as direct distribution.

On Greenlight

Has already had a successful Greenlight Campaign.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
It is mostly steam for me, but I buy from other sources a lot more than "very occasionally." I've got accounts with a half dozen different DD services, and I use about half of those on a regular basis -- in particular GoG, Steam, and Gamestop PC Downloads (formerly Impulse) get a lot of use from me. I also buy (mostly older) titles used all the friggin' time. I grabbed a copy of The Witcher 2 for $4 in a thrift shop just a couple weeks ago, and I've got a shelf full of just the hard copies I've bought since 2010, most of which I bought used, although I did pick up a few new for about what I would pay used.

Basically, I go with whoever can give me a better deal, but I'll pay more for a hard copy than I will for a digital copy. I only buy digital in the first place because thanks to the sales, a new digital copy is frequently cheaper than a used hard copy[footnote]or even a rental, if PC games could be rented the way console games can[/footnote], and since these are PC games, used copies are hard to find anyway. If you go somewhere that sells them, you can probably find /a/ game you like, but it won't be the specific one you had in mind that day. Which makes a good find that much sweeter, but that's another story.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Steam and GoG usually.

Exceptions for physical copies are the Collector Edition that I decide to get.