Jun 10, 2009
Ok?
Because you do.
"Oh my god, do I exist?"
"Man is heading towards destruction..."
"Our technology will destroy us!"
"What's the point?"
"I'm just a basket of nerves and biochemicals"

Will you all just shut up with this stuff for once!
For god's sake, you sound like a bunch of depressive old tenured professors, cloistered up in the library! Miserable, and unable to enjoy yourselves!

No, Idiocracy was not a wise or insightful movie.
You are not brilliant for quoting Player Piano/1984/Brave New World/ Network.
I know it seems odd to have a fit about this stuff, but it really has gotten to me!

We can waste hours upon hours discussing and debating the meaning of "life" or "existence" or if we only perceive other people to exist, or if we even have free will...
But where will that get us?
Have we forgotten that we are alive and mortal?!
Time is of the essence!

You may or may not have a relatively short time on "Earth"!
Why aren't you using it to do things?

What point is there in charity or good deeds, if you don't even know that you are real?
Go build a house! Feed some hungry people/animals! Build a water treatment machine for people in Africa! Write a damn book! Then look at those nice smiling needy people and tell me that you care that you think that they might not be real!

Why spend all your time convinced that the world is going to end as a result of:
A: Reality TV
B: Overpopulation
C: War
D: People liking things that you don't (ie. people who watch TV shows that you personally don't approve of.)
Rome did not fall because people were watching the wrong plays!
Mind your economy, it's more important than the "Disney-facation" or the "Facebook world order" whatever your on about!

Go enjoy life!
Read Steppenwolf! Drink a beer! Watch some Anime! Have Sex with a girl! Laugh together while you're doing it! Snort a line! I personally have never done coke before, but Charley Sheen sure looks like he's having fun!
Don't give into the pressure or the oppression!
Have some fun, damn you!
Watch some Chikara Pro Wrestling! Let your hair down! Eat Gopher cakes! Then work out!

This should be basic stuff, people!
Great, now you've got me so stressed out about your inability to enjoy life that I'm fuming!
I'm going to go eat some bacon and then watch a dirty movie!

In the meantime:

Discuss:
Having Fun
Not being held down by society/your self depressive nature
Having faith in Mankind
Books that you like

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
Here here

It is true that we live in depressing times though, with the economic situation and huge inequalities in the world. Plus to top it all off, some people just LOVE being miserable.

Not me though, I'm have fun by pretending that the 90s never ended. This means that I am spending my free time watching pepper Ann (craig is such a 90s man, gargoyles, and also playing Zelda:eek:racles on my gameboy advance. Throw in sone cheap fruity wine and it is going to me a good weekend.

Books I like: anything Prachett but currently reading Dahl's "the umbrella man". Pretty riveting stuff.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
SadakoMoose said:
Discuss:
Having Fun
Not being held down by society/your self depressive nature
Having faith in Mankind
Books that you like
I'm in a foul mood, and actually this cheered me up. thank you sir.

I like to have fun loads. I drink and be merry. I like to fantasise about dragons! I like bowling and paintballing and swimming and jokes.

Society can't hold me down. Society is just a bunch of people like me. I'm going high five the next stranger I meet! When I think my nature is overly depressive I mock those with genuine disabilities and excuse my own failings. It's easy to be happy, so I don't know why I get sad!

Mankind has Gone from inventing the plane to creating a craft that left the Heliosphere in less than a centuryish. Humanity creates cures for diseases. Even when Humanity is cruel there are always people ready to fight that cruelty. People love and learn and live and there is something great about everyone.

I love all books, even twilight and World of Warcraft fanfiction. Every book teaches something, even if it's only that you know you are capable of writing better than it's author.I'm reading Snuff by Terry Pratchett right now and it's awesome and funny.

Now I feel better.

henkalv

Oct 31, 2011
Well we are ,technically speaking, a basket of nerves and biochemicals. Though that does not mean that we can not be a basket of nerves and biochemicals who is having fun!

EDIT: oh and if one are depressed by ones mortality then effing do something with it! The myth that immortality is impossible needs to be crushed for us to ever become that!

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
SadakoMoose said:
You may or may not have a relatively short time on "Earth"!
Why aren't you using it to do things?
Thats the thing. We who wander along the line of depression spend most of our time wondering why the hell we are here, whether we even want to be here, where we want to go, what things we should do and if its worth the effort.

Go build a house! Feed some hungry people/animals! Build a water treatment machine for people in Africa! Write a damn book! Then look at those nice smiling needy people and tell me that you care that you think that they might not be real!
I need money to build a house, feed people, build a water treatment and time and money to write a book.

To get money I need a job. Looking for a job consumes my time. When I have found a job that job will give me money but consume my time, time I can no longer invest in building a house, feeding people, building a water treatment or writing a book.

See where im going with this? ;)
I never said you'd have to have it published.
Nothing wrong with writing a few words a day.
Besides, what's stopping you from donating a little or maybe offering some canned food every now and again?
I'm not saying you have to do anything or just give yourself totally to charity.
Just do do some things to remind yourself that you are human.
You need to BREATH it all in, humanity that is.
Stop treating yourself like you're helpless or totally trapped wherever you think you are, jeez...

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
This thread is win. OP getting worked up and yelling at miserable people to stop being miserable. It's like a double layer chocolate cake of...well I don't know what the word is, but it's funny. XD

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Finally. Someone else on this site who realizes we live in one of the most prosperous, peaceful and happiest times in human history. No the global economy is not the best its been, of course people are dying to war/starvation/etc., yes I know AIDs did not exist until relatively recently and is holding an entire continent hostage. But you know what? At least the global community is in more a position than ever to make things right and do something about the issues our world faces. We understand things about ourselves and each other now that were impossible to know 50... even 15 years ago. Unless born under truly horrible circumstances, if you were born in a developed nation in the last thirty years you are among the luckiest 1% of the population of the human race that ever existed.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
SadakoMoose said:
I never said you'd have to have it published.
Nothing wrong with writing a few words a day.
Besides, what's stopping you from donating a little or maybe offering some canned food every now and again?
I'm not saying you have to do anything or just give yourself totally to charity.
Just do do some things to remind yourself that you are human.
You need to BREATH it all in, humanity that is.
Stop treating yourself like you're helpless or totally trapped wherever you think you are, jeez...
Erm... even charities don't run for free, it's only the volunteers who don't get paid at all

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Fappy said:
Finally. Someone else on this site who realizes we live in one of the most prosperous, peaceful and happiest times in human history. No the global economy is not the best its been, of course people are dying to war/starvation/etc., yes I know AIDs did not exist until relatively recently and is holding an entire continent hostage. But you know what? At least the global community is in more a position than ever to make things right and do something about the issues our world faces. We understand things about ourselves and each other now that were impossible to know 50... even 15 years ago. Unless born under truly horrible circumstances, if you were born in a developed nation in the last thirty years you are among the luckiest 1% of the population of the human race that ever existed.
we've heard this a million times before, why don't you say that to RICH people instead of poor... the richest in a developed nation are among the luckiest 0.0000001% of the population that have ever existed

money = power and the rich are using it for purely selfish reasons, go spout that stuff to them

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Shivarage said:
Fappy said:
we've heard this a million times before, why don't you say that to RICH people instead of poor... the richest in a developed nation are among the luckiest 0.0000001% of the population that have ever existed

money = power and the rich are using it for purely selfish reasons, go spout that stuff to them
Poor people now = x1000 times better off than poor people 100 years ago. In most developed nations the poor do have a chance if they work at it. They may not ever be rich, but money =/= happiness. I lived half of my childhood being raised by a single mother after my drug-addicted father and her divorced. I lived in a small apartment with my mom and sister until we were taken in by my grandparents for awhile. I may not have been at the lowest end of the spectrum, but I do know how it feels to be poor. If you have a strong will/determination (like my mother did, she went through A LOT of shit), any free nation will give you a chance to be happy.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I think people gain some kind of "happiness" or "satisfaction" from complaining about how miserable their lives are. Back in high school, people I know used to love complaining about how heavy their self-inflicted workload was.

So perhaps being so damn miserable is in fact cathartic :p

But yeah, I like having fun and not being held down by society/my self depressive nature, and I have a lot of faith in mankind. Also, I just started reading books by this guy RA Salvatore, and they're pretty fun.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
You seem slightly confused. I am cynical, e.g. We ARE just "baskets of nerves and biochemicals", but that doesn't mean I'm not happy.

I'm very happy, but I do point out the worst in everything, but then again, the worst really isn't that bad, I don't see the world blowing up any time soon...

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
I don't want to be happy. Maybe you shouldn't define your happiness by the happiness of others. Maybe you should take responsibility for your own happiness and not worry about what other people say/do/think.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
Fappy said:
Excellent point.
Sure the distribution of wealth is uneven right now, but it's better than it's ever been before.
At least now almost everyone in the most civilized countries can have toilets...
Baby steps and perspective!

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
Lazier Than Thou said:
I don't want to be happy. Maybe you shouldn't define your happiness by the happiness of others. Maybe you should take responsibility for your own happiness and not worry about what other people say/do/think.
but he is selfless enough to care about the happiness of others, if you don't approve of that, then kindly leave.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Fappy said:
Poor people now = x1000 times better off than poor people 100 years ago. In most developed nations the poor do have a chance if they work at it. They may not ever be rich, but money =/= happiness. I lived half of my childhood being raised by a single mother after my drug-addicted father and her divorced. I lived in a small apartment with my mom and sister until we were taken in by my grandparents for awhile. I may not have been at the lowest end of the spectrum, but I do know how it feels to be poor. If you have a strong will/determination (like my mother did, she went through A LOT of shit), any free nation will give you a chance to be happy.
Missing the point, you weren't talking about happiness

You were talking about solving the worlds problems... to do anything these days requires a lot of money

Even charities that claim to help the world's poorest are in it for the profit so the money donated never actually reaches the needy thus why nothing ever changes even after 20 years of people donating

I stand by my point that you should be going to the richest of the rich to help the poor, not the poorest who are poor because the rich screw them for all they are worth so they don't have any time or money left to help others (you seriously never wondered how the rich stay obscenely rich?)

But of course, you can't do that because the rich will tell you where to go and it won't be anywhere near your heartfelt, generous dreams of a caring world...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Shivarage said:
Fappy said:
Missing the point, you weren't talking about happiness

You were talking about solving the worlds problems... to do anything these days requires a lot of money

Even charities that claim to help the world's poorest are in it for the profit so the money donated never actually reaches the needy thus why nothing ever changes even after 20 years of people donating

I stand by my point that you should be going to the richest of the rich to help the poor, not the poorest who are poor because the rich screw them for all they are worth so they don't have any time or money left to help others

But of course, you can't do that because the rich will tell you where to go and it won't be anywhere near your heartfelt, generous goals
I definitely don't doubt that many charities are in it for the wrong reasons, but its hard to make an argument that states we are less equip to deal with the world's problems now than we were a decade ago. Communication has opened up A LOT of opportunities for people to share ideas and solutions internationally and its only logical to conclude that as a whole, if the global stage continues to evolve as a global community that these problems will be solved far faster than they ever have been.

With that said, I am a tragic optimist among a sea of pessimists XP