Poll: Stop it with the zombies!

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Technically, some zombie games were based around mutants (as in infected people). In those cases, they get pretty freaky, so I vote mutants.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
I hated The Flood in the Halo series...the reason Reach is my favorite (other than being able to dress as a pink space-marine-cyborg) is the fact that there isn't a single Flood of any form!

I would replace zombies with the other kind of zombie: SKELETONS!!
QFT. Reach isn't my favorite for story, but I can't tell you how happy I was to not have one single, solitary Flood level. No pitch-black levels, no shit-that-turns-into-turrets with anal openings for doors levels, no a-ha a-ha a-ha sound, NO ZOMBIES. ANYWHERE. It was glorious!

So yes, I think zombies are long past tired and, along with steampunk and vampires, need to take a nap and get out of the nerdish zeitgeist for a while.

(Although that said, better zombies than insects. There's an entire section of an otherwise favorite game that I've never completed because it has scads of the sort that I'm phobic of-- friends have said "unless you want a panic attack and weeks of nightmares, don't play that part" and I've taken their advice.)

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
ABadOmen said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
eh all those have been done before...why not Nazi's?
That's Racist though
Nope it isn't. Nazism is ideology. Also, i can't exactly understand : what has it (you being German) to do with "racist thoughts" ?

OT : Robots ! People replaced with robots. :)

Erin Wright

Sep 30, 2011
I've always been fond of the werewolf. I also agree with theemporer, so many things can be made into demons.

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
Hm. Insects. The only game I can think of that features masses of giant insects is that bad StarshipTrooper-adaption. And of course the occasional giant spider or ant in your generic RPG.
And there's those Alien Races that look like giant bugs.

But.... hm... a game thats purely or mostly about fighting varieties of huge insects. Cause, you know, theres loots and lots of insects that look terrifyingly scary if watched throuh a magnifying glass or Microscope.

Go, Indie developers. Make something around giant insects.

Might save some real insect's lives, too! Cause you'd be like "Ha! I slooshied your huge cousin just now, what can you do?!" the next time some creepy insect crawls across your keyboard and shoo it off instead of going "AAAAAARGH" *splat*

WarBossTilt

Feb 4, 2009
Trooper924 said:
WarBossTilt said:
super intelligent apes would be awesome
I was going to say vampires but I'm changing it to this. Apes are awesome.
i know right. how awesome would it be to play a game like killing floor but instead of zombies you have to fight off waves of super intelligent apes.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Jedoro said:
People. More specifically, people with good AI in an apocalypse setting. I'd love for it to be a first generation apocalypse, where the majority of the population saw the world end and you can find things that tell you that your enemies used to be normal people.
Wouldn't that just be Metro 2033 with smarter bad guys?

OT: I'm all for cyborgs. Done right, they can be pretty disturbing, and there's no end to the amount of possibilities where they be concerned.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
I find it slightly uncomfortable to have to kill or murder around fifty trillion normal people in the average FPS, why not more robots
I'm also antipathetic towards the standard pop scifi ''alien'', a.k.a. a green painted dude with tentacle hair

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Rasputin1 said:
Why not really pissed off multi-coloured snails?
Because we all know that any game featuring them as enemies would be impossible, regardless of difficulty. They're way too bad-ass.

OT: I'd like to see some vampires....some vampires that look like Kate Beckinsale in Underworld....actually, forget the vampires and Underworld, just put Kate Beckinsale on a screen in front of me, but not as an enemy.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Jakub324 said:
Jedoro said:
People. More specifically, people with good AI in an apocalypse setting. I'd love for it to be a first generation apocalypse, where the majority of the population saw the world end and you can find things that tell you that your enemies used to be normal people.
Wouldn't that just be Metro 2033 with smarter bad guys?
Kinda, but not a generation later where a good amount of people were born after the world ended. I'm talking End-of-Ze-World+1, shit just finished hitting the fan, and you witness the fall of the first world society as it makes way for post-apocalyptia. Dead enemies have family photos in their pockets, NPC's whine about missing their cell phones, people with any form of electricity are kings. Whatever the cause, I'd like a game where you witness the regression of society, and you can either fight to preserve civilization or spray what bullets you have into the crowds.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well zombies are and will remain a great plot element for several reasons:

-in one even (viral outbreak) all the normal people are replaced with monsters.
Large crowds of friendly NPCs are hard to program and more often than not an annoyance in how they get in the way and how their needs must be accommodated, but if they're all crazy monsters over night then no problem.

-Zombie outbreak can happen so quickly it doesn't need explaining:
This is what distinguished mutants, which are also humans but only through generations of bad shit happening, in that time environments change, weapons change, vehicles change.

-Zombie enemies are easy to program and fun to fight
Wave after wave of melee attacking zombies are fun to mow down unlike if they had guns or lasers where you'd be forced to stay in cover picking away at small targets for how far away they are. Charging enemies are fun to shoot in how they get closer they are a bigger threat yet easier to hit. It's easy to program hoards of enemies to charge at you.

-Zombies are fun because they are human like
Inside us there is the inner psychopath constrained by our sociable consciousness, we have an instinct to kill people, yet at the same time we know people shouldn't be killed because they are people just like us. But people who are proportionally jsut like humans yet mentally and superficially transformed to be non-human, without any human qualities but just mindless animals... I think that is what is so fun about shooting zombies. All the fun of killing people yet none of the guilt of destroying fellow sentient life.

Problems with all the proposed replacements:
-Mutants: how do you explain them appearing and yet no friendly NPCs around?
-insects: not human enough
-people: Like a lynch mob? Too smart, they would all run away after you killed 20% of them. Part of Zombies' charm is they are relentless
-aliens: too likely to depend on a few number with projectile weapons
-cyborgs: again, too likely to be few in numbers with ranged weapons
-Robot: Same problem as cyborgs
-Gangsters: They are a minority criminal element, smart and sane interested in self preservation

But what about Bioshock's "Splicer" antagonists. They are intelligent yet clearly insane and seem to be the only surviving inhabitant of an entire city, I'd think they'd be the closest stand in though a lot of exposition was needed to set them up as to how the socio-economic structure combined with their addiction to genetic modification. Then again, they also mostly depended on a few numbers with ranged weapons which isn't quite a suitable replacment for hoards of bodies attacking with mindlessly and relentlessly with close ranged attacks.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
A game where its an all in brawl between everything that has ever existed and you get to choose one. I'd pick snails.

Dunkhelzahn

Sep 22, 2009
I'd say Robots. I'd love to play a Fallout 3 / New Vegas style survival horror game set in the Terminator universe. Scrounging for cans of food and attempting to avoid Terminator patrols.

functionaladdict

Oct 25, 2011
I would like to see a game where you get to kill religious fanatics and the boss characters can be the particular deity of that levels religious fanatics.