Poll: 'Stop The Olympic Missiles' and you...

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I have been watching with interest the stories of the 'Stop the Olympic Missiles' protesters, and their apparenty futile efforts to oppose the deployment of Rapier and Starstreak SAM sites to their residencies.

Now, don't get me wrong, the deployment of these sites without the consultation of the residences I agree with. It should have been announced and discussed before hand, but that is the only thing I agree with in the whole affair.

I personally think that the missiles should be deployed as a deterrant in the locations in London. They are an intrinsic part of an Integrated Air Defence System, and their use is a last line of defence against a threat to air.

The location of these sites is very unlikely to attract attacks to their locations, and the munitions don't pose any risk to the people who live there, so I think it is a selfish, and not well thought out plan to try and get rid of them.

Well... that is my opinion on the matter... What is yours?

(For more information see these links...)

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
I think it's a great idea, and most of the people living in the flats are probably there for free anyway. Quit whining, I say - it's hardly the worst thing about living in said areas!

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
I think it's a goddamned ridiculous and unnecessary piece of security theatre that was forced on the residents of the sites over their very vocal objections. I also think it's really sad that a country that fought off real invasions from Spain, France, and Germany over the centuries should get into such an alarmist pearl-clutching the-sky-might-fall state over an imagined and extremely unlikely threat.

the darknees abyss

Mar 29, 2012
i live in england so i don't want happen here if just in London i be ok and won't care as much but if i going were live hell no but on the other hand i think a great so long as they keep it in London

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Buzz Killington said:
I think it's a goddamned ridiculous and unnecessary piece of security theatre that was forced on the residents of the sites over their very vocal objections. I also think it's really sad that a country that fought off real invasions from Spain, France, and Germany over the centuries should get into such an alarmist pearl-clutching the-sky-might-fall state over an imagined and extremely unlikely threat.
I agree with you on the forcing issue, I also think that it was slightly unfair to impose it on them without mentioning it before hand.

However, I will like to point out that GBAD sites have been used as a deterrence in every recent Olympic and large Sporting event over the recent years, and that the people in those countries have never mentioned it.

TheBobmus said:
I think it's a great idea, and most of the people living in the flats are probably there for free anyway. Quit whining, I say - it's hardly the worst thing about living in said areas!
You are right... it's social housing, therefore we are paying for them to live there anyway, therefore we hold the right to put stuff on their roofs! :p

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I don't really have much of a problem with the missiles but they shouldn't be on top of people's flats. You can see why that would make people uneasy, I mean I certainly wouldn't like it.

TheBobmus said:
That's... not very nice

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
the darknees abyss said:
i live in england so i don't want happen here if just in London i be ok and won't care as much but if i going were live hell no but on the other hand i think a great so long as they keep it in London
If you live in England, might I ask why your English is damn near unintelligible?

Also what reason would they have for installing them on top of flats outside of London?!

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Hazy992 said:
I don't really have much of a problem with the missiles but they shouldn't be on top of people's flats. You can see why that would make people uneasy, I mean I certainly wouldn't like it.

TheBobmus said:
That's... not very nice
Perhaps not, but it's fairly practical. In such a built-up area, we need to put them on top of something tall, so why not use the flat blocks in said area?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
No missiles at all. The paranoia surrounding terrorism at the olympics is unfounded and intended to create an atmosphere of fear. Whilst there should be some sort of defence it doesn't need to be in the form of militarising London.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hazy992 said:

TheBobmus said:
That's... not very nice

The reason why they are on top of peoples flats is very simple, if they weren't they would hit buildings when launched. Its not very nice but the reality is that the only place where they can be effective is on top of peoples flats. No one likes to live next to sewage farm but without them we would be dying of Colora. The missiles are not going to be there permanently but just for 8 weeks

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:

TheBobmus said:
That's... not very nice
Perhaps not, but it's fairly practical. In such a built-up area, we need to put them on top of something tall, so why not use the flat blocks in said area?
Because it's a residential area with people who object to it? I was under the impression we lived in a democratic country

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
albino boo said:
Hazy992 said:

TheBobmus said:
That's... not very nice

The reason why they are on top of peoples flats is very simple, if they weren't they would hit buildings when launched. Its not very nice but the reality is that the only place where they can be effective is on top of peoples flats. No one likes to live next to sewage farm but without them we would be dying of Colora. The missiles are not going to be there permanently but just for 8 weeks
Yeah but people not wanting missiles on top of where they live isn't exactly whining is it? I wonder if you'd feel the same way if it was your flat?

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:

TheBobmus said:
That's... not very nice
Because it's a residential area with people who object to it? I was under the impression we lived in a democratic country
There's a difference between a democracy and a powerless government. I do agree that they should have been much more upfront about the plans and asked if any flats would volunteer, but in reality someone's ultimately got to bite the bullet, so to speak.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:

TheBobmus said:
That's... not very nice
There's a difference between a democracy and a powerless government. I do agree that they should have been much more upfront about the plans and asked if any flats would volunteer, but in reality someone's ultimately got to bite the bullet, so to speak.
And again I must ask if you'd feel the same way if it was your flat? Would you just 'bite the bullet', or would you be pissed that the government decided to put hi-tech weaponry on top of your home without asking you?

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:

TheBobmus said:
That's... not very nice
And again I must ask if you'd feel the same way if it was your flat? Would you just 'bite the bullet', or would you be pissed that the government decided to put hi-tech weaponry on top of your home without asking you?
My decision ultimately is based on the question of whether I'm living there for free. If not, yeah, I get why they're pissed, and I would be too. If these are council flats, I'd hope I was gracious enough to go 'Yeah, let's use the flats for something other than just paying to house other people.'
What would you think, if you lived in a council flat they were doing this in?

(Note: I base the thought that these are probably council flats on my experience of the areas involved)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Richard A. Kiernan said:
I'm surprised that nobody's been thinking, "Awesome! Free missiles!" That's what I'd be thinking in that situation.
Yeah, me too...how are they going to secure the things? You are going to need to start putting armed guards in the flats to protect them, which will get old very fast.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hazy992 said:
albino boo said:
Hazy992 said:

TheBobmus said:
That's... not very nice

Yeah but people not wanting missiles on top of where they live isn't exactly whining is it? I wonder if you'd feel the same way if it was your flat?

I'd be perfectly fine with it. The army being on the roof would significantly reduce the chance of my flat being broken into. Oddly enough burglars don't try to break into flats guarded by armed men. This case is brought by a bunch of whinny guardian reading morons who can't work that sometimes choice of government is the lesser of 2 evils. The Olympics is big fat terrorist target, every nutcase with cause from around the world is going to be thinking about attacking. What happens if a pilot has a Andres Brevik style breakdown and tries to crash a 747 into the stadium killing 60,000, if the plane is shot down if will only kill 2000 at the most. The airbus that crashed in New York didn't kill anyone on the ground despite hitting Queens. The choice is, the missiles either go on the roof or you increase the risk to the the lives of 60,000 poeple in an easily avoidable manner. Mildly inconvenience some poeple living in block of flats or reduce the risk of 60,000 being killed by some lunatic with cause not, in my view its a simple choice.