Poll: Students launch a poster campaign against racist costume

999realthings

Jun 23, 2011
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053134/Students-launch-poster-campaign-racist-Halloween-costumes.html
I gotta this have to one of the most pointless and trying to hard to be politically correct things I have seen in a while.
While the Arab suicide bomber costume is offensive and probably shouldn't be worn, everything else is quite tame. The geisha outfit, the Mexican outfit and maybe the ghetto outfit.
Personally, I'm Asian and I went to Halloween as a Viet Cong. So people need to get over and have laugh in life or am I being to racially insentive

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
This is stupidity on the grandest of scales. If you're that offended by a Halloween costume, please get your head out of your ass. There are real racist in the world that you could be protesting; there are actual injustices that you could stand up against. Sex slavery, starvation, AIDS and holocaust denial, human rights violations the list goes on and on. Why not put your time, money, and energy into something worthwhile!?

I have no idea why this got me so worked up.

999realthings

Jun 23, 2011
This would campaign feels like some previliged upper-middle class kids would do.
"WE HAVE TO RIGHT ALL THE INJUSTICE IN THE WOLRD BY PROTESTING AGAINST RACIST COSTUMES"

This video make some really funny points:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v04IdNPuMlc&feature=channel_video_title

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, we know most middle eastern people aren't suicide bombers. Which is why we don't dress up as them. We dress up as SUICIDE BOMBERS. It doesn't matter what your skin color is, as long as you're wearing dynamite.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Ah, society, the fucked up wretches. Shouldn't there be white guy holding a picture of a successful business man with a briefcase full of a million dollars and a handbook on "How to oppress others for financial gain"?

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I liked the first kid who was basically tearing up in righteous indignation. This is not who I am and this is not okay. I wish I knew these people so I could laugh in their face.

dealwithit.jpg

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Well... It is halloween right? Arn't you supposed to fear things on halloween?
Arn't those costumes exactly doing that? Excising their worst fears? As in beeing a visual representation of their fear of beeing seen as something like that?

I would say it succeeded at the halloween thought..

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
First World Problems, when your biggest complaint is related to Halloween costumes.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
I can kinda understand the whole getting pissed at a terrorist costume but what is wrong with the geisha, I mean unless I am misinformed they existed that is how they dressed, so what is wrong with it, also people need a harder skin.

SundayRoast

Jan 24, 2011
These people need to get their heads outta their asses.

Perhaps I should dress up for halloween as a drunken hockey-fan from Finland.

Keymik

Oct 18, 2008
And while these students spend time on thinking those costumes are racist, children are starving in Africa. I totally see what is more important.

PS: If those costumes are racist then nobody should dress up as zombies as that would clearly be insulting to people who are dead.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
I'm dressing up as Hitler, my friend is Stalin. Can we have someone launch a post campaign against us?

Silverfox99

May 7, 2011
My problem with the campaign is that it is racist.

First they don't show anyone making fun of rednecks or any other white stereotype. If it is offensive to dress up like another culture then all cultures should be represented, by the logic of their own argument.

I know that this was designed to highlight minority groups but that's where the problem occurs. Racism can and does effect all races and it wont end until all racism stops not just against minority races.

Personally, I would find it hilarious if someone showed up to a party dressed up in white face and as a redneck.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Sober Thal said:
People have way too much time on their hands... they need a time consuming hobby... like playing videogames...
Snip.

Maybe not video games just do anything walk out side you can see stuff 10 times worse day to day on the street get pissed off about that instead.
This is kind of thing annoys me.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's drawing attention to racist stereotyping. That is, they are asking people to think about them. OMGWTFBBQ!

Cap has "aidditi"...sure I've had that before.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Hm. While I agree that it's uncool to have your culture mocked, I think you have to take a minute to try and work out whether or not any racism is actually intended by the costume.

For example, if I (a European female) were to dress as a 'geisha', it would in no way be in order to denigrate the section of Japanese female society who are geisha. It would be because I think kimono are gorgeous, and the women who wear them are super elegant. I mean, sure, if someone's 'geisha' costume is basically a tiny cherry-blossom print kimono nightie and some overblown red lipstick and rouge, then that's a bit unkind, but you still have to wonder if there's any real hate going on. After all, anyone who dresses like that is only making fun of themselves, in the end.

The suicide bomber is not *necessarily* racist, but is *always* tasteless =(

Still - perhaps protest the KKK, or some group that really *intends* hate toward other cultures?