Poll: Students launch a poster campaign against racist costume

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I always feel a bit awkward when it comes to issues of race and culture since Ive never put any stock in my own. But then I remind myself that its not anyones inherent right to not be offended. Living in any society does pose the risk of someone saying or doing something that may in some way displease you. But unless you are actually being discriminated and oppressed, its not that big of a deal.

Metaik

Jun 18, 2010
My friend rocked up to a non-uniform day at my previous school dressed pretty much the same as the suicide bomber dude in the picture and within 5 minutes was asked to remove the red candles he had taped to himself in place of dynamite, as they 'may cause offense'. My friend was from Pakistan, and was himself offended by being asked to remove his costume.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Blablahb said:
Even if there had been widespread racism (aside from affirmative action racist policies, there is not), I still don't see how that would warrant having a witch hunt after people wearing halloween costumes.
So there's no racism any more except for affirmative action policies, eh? You seriously believe this, you're not just trolling? That's willful ignorance. There is no point in debating this with you until you educate yourself.

Telling people they're being offensive is not a "witch hunt". It's answering speech with speech. Despite the mighty powers of white privilege, people are allowed to tell you they disagree.

wdp05speed

Oct 28, 2011
Metaik said:
My friend rocked up to a non-uniform day at my previous school dressed pretty much the same as the suicide bomber dude in the picture and within 5 minutes was asked to remove the red candles he had taped to himself in place of dynamite, as they 'may cause offense'. My friend was from Pakistan, and was himself offended by being asked to remove his costume.
I agree that he should feel offended. Blacks insult each other every day in movies, comedies and music. Dave Chapelle is the poster child for that.
My grandparents are from Syria. I dont look all that arab but since I am half I should be allowed to joke about my own culture.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
This is the problem with modern society... everyone gets to see pictures of what everyone else does, completely out of context. And then they judge based on this. And think they are somehow morally superior. Makes me sick.

THE_NAMSU

Jan 1, 2011
EHKOS said:
Yeah, we know most middle eastern people aren't suicide bombers. Which is why we don't dress up as them. We dress up as SUICIDE BOMBERS. It doesn't matter what your skin color is, as long as you're wearing dynamite.
He wore a middle eastern desert cap thing, seems he was intending on looking middle eastern.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
It's sad to see so many people saying "I don't care, so they shouldn't either." We're lucky not everyone thinks like that, or we'd never get anywhere as a society.

wdp05speed

Oct 28, 2011
THE_NAMSU said:
EHKOS said:
Yeah, we know most middle eastern people aren't suicide bombers. Which is why we don't dress up as them. We dress up as SUICIDE BOMBERS. It doesn't matter what your skin color is, as long as you're wearing dynamite.
He wore a middle eastern desert cap thing, seems he was intending on looking middle eastern.
Thats why I like the insurgent style bomber. But this year im going to call myself a Libyan rebel because they seem to be pretty popular. The U.N. loves em'

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
ms_sunlight said:
Legit101 said:
Somebody needs to learn to take a joke really...
Yeah, because it's really funny when people use the word "joke" to excuse their attempts to bully, insult and demean.

You can tell any joke you like, but freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.
I really don't think that when the people in those costumes decide to wear said costumes they're thinking:

"Right. Perfect. This costume is gonna offend so many mexicans/black people/geishas/suicide bombers"

Also, the guy dressed as a suicide bomber. He is dressed as a suicide bomber. He is not dressed as all the Middle Eastern people in the world.

The guy dressed as a mexican bandito. He is dressed as a mexican bandito. He is not dressed as all the Mexican people in the world.

The girl dressed as a geisha. She is dressed as a geisha. She is not dressed as all the Japanese people in the world.

The girl dressed as a rapper. She is dressed as a rapper. She is not dressed as all the black people in the world....although I will admit that the blackface is a tad much. Of course that's assuming she's just not really really shiny.