Poll: swords or guns

MSORPG pl4y3r

Aug 7, 2008
simple what would you prefer to see in a action film swords or guns?
me, I say swords because a gun fight is over too quickly and sword fighting is mutch more intense. what do you think swords or guns?

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Swords might be more intense, but gun battles tend to be bigger and sword battles tend to be, if realistic, much slower.
Guns are fun and you didn't specify which guns so that leaves open the whole aircraft and tank aspect of gun fights, unless you're talking about two guys with guns then that sounds a bit boring so in that instance i'd go with swords.

Also define sword. For instance a lightsaber technically constitutes a sword, or are you talking long piece of sharp metal designed to cut things.

Calmaveth

Aug 17, 2008
The best kind of action film should have both, ideally - though guns tend to spoil the experience if they're just used by loads of goons firing from the hip at the indestructable hero, who never gets hit. I think guns are used best in films where they are used least often - likewise with all weapons. Swords get annoying in films when they're weilding by ninja-like badasses who can deflect bullets with a katana and chop people in half one-handed. I don't think it really matters in the end, as long as they're used well.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Gun-swords, i think i saw that somewhere, rifle sticking out the tip with a sword edge on it.

Edit (read below post) Or shoot open a hole then jab a huge sword in there, make it a lot easier to get through heavy amour.

Khedive Rex

Jun 1, 2008
You missed the true answer to this poll.

Swords AND Guns.

Maybe even gun swords. Slash at your opponent for a bit, shoot at him so he can matrix dodge and then get back to the stabbity. My kind of action fight.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Reaper we think the same way. Why choose between stabbing and shooting when you can stab then shoot?

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
The swordplay in action movies tends to be absolute piss. All clang-clang-clang and bullshit acrobatics.

-- Alex

Neurotischism

Aug 21, 2008
For me, swordfights are more entertaining to watch in films. It's easier to follow than a bunch of gunfire. Action flicks aren't really my thing anyway though.

howard_hughes

Aug 14, 2008
Xiado post=18.69309.655426 said:
I prefer to use swords, it takes far more skill and concentration than simply shooting someone.
Depends on the range honestly, 4 feet away it's going to be easy to hit your target. But hitting that same target from a mile away... now you have to factor in wind speed/ direction, planetary rotation while the bullets in the air, temperature of the bullet compared to the atmosphere, and rate of fall. not to mention you'll be using a rifle that can be just as finicky as a high society debutante maybe even more so. Nope, I picked swords because it's more or less self explanatory: the pointy end goes in the other guy and it's doubtful he's going to know how to use such a weapon regardless.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I'd prefer a sword that shoots guns, or a gun that shoots swords.

That would be AWESOME!

DevilSaint44

Aug 16, 2008
Guns are shit. With swords the battle becomes personal and intense. But if you can wield guns like THE ONE then I am in a dilemma... Whoa !!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Rapier and Revolver, for the classically gentleman killer. In an action film...couldn't really say, again, a combination of swords and guns seems to work best. However action films devoted to one or the other also work well enough. I'd probably prefer swords over guns if I had to choose, but both are better than one or the other.

Edit:
PinkyM44 post=18.69309.655785 said:
HBrutusH post=18.69309.655780 said:
I'd prefer a sword that shoots guns, or a gun that shoots swords.

That would be AWESOME!
Squall wields a gunblade but its shit
Squall's gunblade is a sword which shoots bullets, not a sword which shoots guns or a gun which shoots swords, it should be noted.

TommyGun465

Jul 2, 2008
they both kick ass in so many ways... but i prefer guns. Movies with guns are more exciting for me. but not those *bang* i killed you gun movies. those with clever bad guys that carry a briefcase full of money they secretly along with a gun and say stuff like "Pull yourself together. its all coming to an end soon" and "goodbye mr. Swanson (random name), ill be glad to see you in hell when i die" with a british accent. i dont like thos shark tank and laser ray villain. those are boring. i like villains like hannibal lecter. Sword movies are cool too, but most of them that i saw were only about chopping up dudes that pissed the off.