Poll: Tell us your favorite game genre.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
Sidescrolling racing RPGs. But I didn't see a category so I selected Adventure, because it sounded exciting.

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
A good RPG is without a doubt my favorite genre. There's an emphasis on good, though, as there is a large amount of terrible RPG's out there. To be honest, I haven't played a REALLY good RPG in ages, aside from replaying old ones. Love the genre, hate what's coming out for it these days.

Edit* I'm actually surprised with the poll right now. The escapist community is certainly different than other ones, so I shouldn't have expected shooters to have hundreds of votes, but I did. A highly enlightening poll.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
2-D shooters. Which ironically, is one of the genre that I play the least. But I love the adrenaline I get with having 300 bullets being shot at you, while you elegantly dodge them all and blast the heck out of that giant ship.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
I prefere strategy, especially the deeper ones. How did you miss putting Strategy on the poll options list! Shame on you!

modris

Jul 17, 2006
I went with adventure. A more accurate answer would some sort of action-adventure with rpg elements and a strong story.

Thegreatoz

Jan 5, 2008
hard choice, i love rpgs where i can just immerse myself into the game and have a really enjoyable experience. But, i also love going into a room guns blazing, mowing down anything that crosses my path, friend or foe!

FRAGGING FTW! lol

ABeck

Dec 11, 2007
I personally prefer RPGs... mostly Japanese RPGs only because i have a strange bond with them. I do enjoy a couple Western RPGs such as, Mass Effect and Oblivion (I didn't enjoy Morrow wind too much) but I never found myself enjoying KOTOR or Jade Empire that much. I guess it's just the style. I really enjoy a good storyline and in-depth characters, if a game doesn't include this, I cannot get into it. That is why I'm skeptical on picking up the Japanese import of Record of Agarest War. I played the demo and I already was in love... but then I found out that you play as this guy, but that is only 1/5 of the story; you then pick a wife and it goes into the next generation where you play as his child... this repeats four times in creating 5 main characters which I don't like. All the cool characters I was introduced to are gone before you know it.

And to be more specific, I enjoy Strategy RPGs more than any other RPGs. Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, Front Mission, and I guess Persona; I'm just a strategizer so I enjoy sitting down and calculating the best move. That is why I was not much a fan of Final Fantasy XII compared to previous games, it was a bit too hectic (that is also why I'm skeptical on picking The Last Remnant right away... that game just looks crazy). But that doesn't mean I hate the others as I do enjoy faster paced J-RPGs such as the Tales series and the Star Ocean series.

I also have a fondness for third person action games.(Metal Gear Solid, Splinter Cell, Gears of War, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and YES! The Bouncer!)

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Well, i dunno precisely, but i would like RPG and platform. And maybe some action... Really, i have to get into other games t osee if i like them, allthough i don't like FPS that much. Sometimes, it feels like i backtrack without realising. That's my argument.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
i was tempted to say shooters but then i thaught to the crimaly short single player aspect and at the times when you feel like killing random enemys or just exploring shooters just dont do it my opion is quite split from rpg and shooters

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Onmi said:
Cause according to everyone FFX was Horrible yet as one of my first RPGs i had tons and tons of fun with it
you have only begun my young padawan.
(using force face) "you will not play any more JRPG's"

Onmi said:
i will not play any more JRPG's
P.S. if you dont know what a force face looks like, its the same as doing a S#%T

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Final Fantasy 10 has its problems, like a completely predictable story (apart from the completely meaningless elements), the (possibly) worst score ever made by Uematsu and annoying mini-games. The battle system, however, was pretty awesome and should've been exploited more. Unless you powerlevel you actually have to think when fighting bosses, you can't just hammer them with your most powerful spells constantly.

The complete opposite to that is Final Fantasy 8 which has a pointless combat system and an awesome story ^^