Poll: Telling the time

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
I mix, for example, between "quarter past" and "X:15". It depends how I feel at a given time.

I won't use AM/PM, though. If you can't tell if it's night or day, you have bigger problems than not knowing the time.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Usually to the nearest five, but I add "it's about" just before. Even if it's on an exact number, I still say "it's about".

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
Exact time. Usually if the minute is a multiple of 10 or 5 past the 30 minute mark I say "x til y" with y being the next hour.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
ADVENTURE TIME

Or I just go with the closest five minutes. We have a reasonable amount of ways to tell the time in Norwegian ("ten to half", "five past half", etc.), so it's never really been a problem for me.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Depends completely on the situation in which someone's asking for the time.
Sometimes I'll just go with parroting what I just read on the clock; sort of acting with no trace of conscious thought. It's the equivalent of when you look at the clock and don't know what time it is afterwards. Only I've told it to someone before forgetting it.

I guess I normally round to the nearest five minutes, but I often just go to the nearest quarter hour as well, since that's how telling the time works in Norwegian I guess. I'll normally round 10:40 to "quart to 11" (to translate in a very literal fashion).

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
When I check my watch I round it to the nearest five, but always prefix with "it's about...", but if I check the computer or my phone then you're getting the exact time because it's easier just to read it out.
Exactly this.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I have an analogue wrist-watch so it just tends to be easier to round to nearest 5 so i don't have to count the tiny lines around the edge, but i guess if (like one of my friends) i'd grown with a digital watch, which tell the exact time quite clearly, i'd be saying it as exact as it was displayed.

It's about convenience, i guess.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Cpt_Oblivious said:
When I check my watch I round it to the nearest five, but always prefix with "it's about...",
I do that as well.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
but if I check the computer or my phone then you're getting the exact time because it's easier just to read it out.
Though I don't do that as it just seems lazy. :p

- Omni ^_^

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
CODE-D said:
Its time to get a watch....budumdump-(face punched)
Every single time. Every. Single. Time.

Them I say "about/just before/just after" and round to the nearest quarter of an hour.
I also usually guess; I don't even check my watch until I've said it, I merely look at my watch to confirm my guess.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Nearest five. Haven't met anyone so far who says the exact time, but then I again... I don't really ask for the time very often.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
If it's analogue, I round to the nearest 5. If it's digital, I do exact.

"5 past" needs to die in a fire.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I always do exact time. But that's my own idosynchrony because I like knowing the exact time.

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
Capt. Crankypants said:
Eh, a mix. Depending of the time of course, it's either 'two-ish' or maybe 'quarter to' or 'half past'. You know, I'm not sure this is thread-worthy, but then, I'm the one posting in it eh? At least it's not a poll.
Ive seen many threads with less point than this :p

Its more of getting an idea of how other people go about to everyday things in their lives. Something that interests me i guess!

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
mireko said:
ADVENTURE TIME

You win this round.

OT: I wear a digital wrist watch so I tell the time exactly how it is.

I'm not some stupid good-for-nothing that's too lazy to look at an analog clock!