Poll: The 4 mighty Hack and Slashers of early 2010

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Psychosocial said:
More Fun To Compute said:
Bayonetta has the best pedigree in term so of talent working on it and critical praise. God of War 3 is, no doubt, going to be hyped but it doesn't have that much of a buzz about it yet in terms of new ideas and even David Jaffe has little to do with it. Dante's Inferno is for people who want to show their support for EA, want to play a God of War clone, or just have terrible taste and are easily swayed by crass marketing.

Darksiders, never heard of it. Just watched a vid on youtube and it looks like they are appealing more to the tastes of 8 year olds than the typical 12 year old target market. Honestly, people complain all the time about Japanese RPG character design but are OK with this shit?
Fuck yeah! Flamebait! I love how you generalize everyone that plans to buy it like that, you sound like some 11 year old flamer on YouTube. Your definition of good is not absolute, perhaps you should remember that?
I did say "or" so you could play it because you love EA or want to play a generic God of War clone. I don't think that my definition of good is absolute, as you say, but it is pretty important to me. You may also be colour blind to people who make similar judgements who agree with you so my advice is to try to hold back next time you feel like singling someone out with this argument as my post is far from being the only judgemental one in this thread.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
As the fantastically informative title says there is going to be 4 Hack and Slashers released in the first few months of 2010 that everyones got there eye on: God of War 3, Bayonetta, Dantes Inferno and Darksiders. Chances are most people will own all of them at some point although I want to know which one of these games you hold in highest priority by voting in the poll above and your opinions on the rest. Personally I'm getting God of War 3 straight away. I'm trying to decide between Dantes Inferno and Bayonetta having played both demos. I couldn't give a shit about Darksiders, It's got so much less press than the rest and I know to little about it to do anything other than wait for the price to go down.
Wow, you couldn't just...look up info about it? It looks to be the best of all 4 of them.
Darksiders holds most of my interest, Dantes Inferno second priority, God Of War 3 sometime down the track.
Bayonetta can go fuck off and die.
I hate how games get so much coverage before a release and it pretty much guarantees sales. Then after people realize it sucks everyone is let down. I'm looking at you Sonic. People who follow hype and don't research games from all sources are just waiting to be let down.

On Topic Bayonetta looks like just mashing buttons in easy difficulty and using the same 4 combos in hard, but it looks so cool I might buy it.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Bayonetta looks REALLY interesting, I'm definetly thinking of buying it. But that would mean I have to have money.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
As the fantastically informative title says there is going to be 4 Hack and Slashers released in the first few months of 2010 that everyones got there eye on: God of War 3, Bayonetta, Dantes Inferno and Darksiders. Chances are most people will own all of them at some point although I want to know which one of these games you hold in highest priority by voting in the poll above and your opinions on the rest. Personally I'm getting God of War 3 straight away. I'm trying to decide between Dantes Inferno and Bayonetta having played both demos. I couldn't give a shit about Darksiders, It's got so much less press than the rest and I know to little about it to do anything other than wait for the price to go down.
Wow, you couldn't just...look up info about it? It looks to be the best of all 4 of them.
Darksiders holds most of my interest, Dantes Inferno second priority, God Of War 3 sometime down the track.
There's a reason I don't give a shit about Darksiders and that reason is it's done nothing to make me aware of it. The other games here have all made me aware of them through gameplay trailers, developer diaries and demos. Darksiders has absolutley no trailers or anything else avaliable for download on PSN and while Xbox live might have them (I don't know cause I'm usually on a PS3) cutting out half your audience is pretty fucking stupid. Also it sounds pathetically cliche and looks like God of War on Pain Killers.
This post just shows how ignorant you are.
Look at the GameTrailers preview for goot footage.
I'm talking about Playstation Network you daft tit.
I know that, but holding no interest in a game because you havn't seen any footage, and not bothering to look up any footage is just idiotic.
I'm gonna side with Hobbit here. Yeah, it's a stupid move not putting trailers or footage on PSN but that doesn't mean you can't physically go and watch it.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
There's a reason I don't give a shit about Darksiders and that reason is it's done nothing to make me aware of it. The other games here have all made me aware of them through gameplay trailers, developer diaries and demos. Darksiders has absolutley no trailers or anything else avaliable for download on PSN and while Xbox live might have them (I don't know cause I'm usually on a PS3) cutting out half your audience is pretty fucking stupid. Also it sounds pathetically cliche and looks like God of War on Pain Killers.
I know that, but holding no interest in a game because you havn't seen any footage, and not bothering to look up any footage is just idiotic.
You really don't get it do you? Darksiders has gotten so little press that people on this forum have only just heard of it now and I won't put that down to ignorance. It's got the least vots out of every game on this forum although I get the feeling that you'll still find an argument against it involving you spending the weekend trying to find gameplay trailers then being somewhat impressed at the sight of a man with huge hands chucking a sword boomerang style at a giant hostile mushroom.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Darksiders definitely looks to be the best of them all if you ask me. I've been following it for a couple of months now, and there is a ton of trailers and interviews available all over the internet. If you rely solely on the PSN for info on games, then you are severely limiting yourself.

Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno really don't hold any interest to me because of their simple hack & slash nature. I'm not a huge fan of games that focus on your combo number. GOW3 is the same deal but the series has always been pretty good at delivering some pretty epic scenes.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
would people not count alien vs predator a hack and slash?
I know its supposed to be a FPS but...last time I checked Aliens didn't use guns...They hack, slash, tear, rip, mutilate everything that moves.
And I've seen that Predators like to decapitate, in grisly detail.

The Skip Master

Dec 27, 2009
It's Dante's Inferno for me, mainly because i want to see if its got anything to do with the real poem. I don't have a PS3 to play GOW3, so if Dante's Inferno is a rip-off, its another plus for me. Darksiders also looks decent, but i don't think i'll get Bayonetta.

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
run_forrest_run said:
You really don't get it do you? Darksiders has gotten so little press that people on this forum have only just heard of it now and I won't put that down to ignorance. It's got the least vots out of every game on this forum although I get the feeling that you'll still find an argument against it involving you spending the weekend trying to find gameplay trailers then being somewhat impressed at the sight of a man with huge hands chucking a sword boomerang style at a giant hostile mushroom.
Just because the game has received the lowest number of votes on your poll does not mean that people have not heard about it. I personally am looking forward to trying out Darksiders and Bayonetta, and really couldn't care less about God of War III; it has received arguably the most hype out of all the entries, and yet I really just don't care about it.

Also, saying that the lack of information on a game is the fault of the developers because they don't have trailers on PSN? There is more than one way to juice a turnip, as my eccentric father always said. If you truly had any interest in the title, you would go looking for it. However, you decided to immediately dismiss it on principle alone. That's all well and good, but don't blame the game when you can't spend 5 minutes on the internet researching.

Personally, from the games listed, I want to try Bayonetta the most...she has high heel pistols, for the love of Xenu! Who cares if they're trying to push her sexuality; if the game is fun, it's all a bunch of polygons and shaders in the end.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
KSarty said:
Darksiders definitely looks to be the best of them all if you ask me. I've been following it for a couple of months now, and there is a ton of trailers and interviews available all over the internet. If you rely solely on the PSN for info on games, then you are severely limiting yourself.

Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno really don't hold any interest to me because of their simple hack & slash nature. I'm not a huge fan of games that focus on your combo number. GOW3 is the same deal but the series has always been pretty good at delivering some pretty epic scenes.
I would refer to my previous argument but you obviously didn't take that in so I guess a new offensive is in order. I have seen trailers you know and I wasn't too impressed. Maybe If I played a demo It would all change but seeing as how There won't be one coming out on PS3 that won't happen. Also the combat looks much slower than the other 3 on this list all of which have had significantly more advertising hence the reason Darksiders has still got the least votes in the poll

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
You're actually criticizing a game because of it's marketing? And not because it's being marketed falsely, but because it's not being marketed enough? Why on earth do you care? How does it make a least bit of difference? My brain is utterly failing here.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
run_forrest_run said:
KSarty said:

I would refer to my previous argument but you obviously didn't take that in so I guess a new offensive is in order. I have seen trailers you know and I wasn't too impressed. Maybe If I played a demo It would all change but seeing as how There won't be one coming out on PS3 that won't happen. Also the combat looks much slower than the other 3 on this list all of which have had significantly more advertising hence the reason Darksiders has still got the least votes in the poll
I took in your previous argument, I simply discarded it because IGN, GameSpot, Gametrailers, Kotaku, and 1Up are all loaded with trailers, developer walkthroughs, behind-the-scenes footage, and screenshots. Hell as of last month all the ads on Kotaku's main page were for Darksiders. You obviously couldn't be bothered to look it up, which is fine if you aren't interested in it at all but why wouldn't you just say that? If you aren't interested in the game then just say so. Don't act as if there is no info to be found on it, because there are assloads all over the place.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I find it unlikely that "most people will own all four."

More like most people will play one and then zealously defend it on the internet as the best.

I never liked God of War as it is a crappy Devil May Cry knockoff. Since Dante's Inferno is a crappy God of War ripoff, that makes it a ripoff of a ripoff.

As the spiritual successor to Devil May Cry, Bayonetta has all my attention. I find it odd that people are bashing the game for being over sexualized when it is clearly very tongue-in-cheek, while God of War is all about a man who only stops killing people so he can bang two chicks at once. And it expects you to take it completely seriously. Dante's Inferno seems to follow in this vein as well. I'd rather play a game with a sense of humor than a ridiculous macho wankfest.

Plus, her guns are named Scarborough Fair, how awesome is that?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2.

I'm hoping Bayonetta will really really suck, just because so much of its marketing has focused on its polygon protagonist as wank material (c'mon guys, can we not at least jerk off to real, actual women?).

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Klepa said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
imahobbit4062 said:
run_forrest_run said:
You're actually criticizing a game because of it's marketing? And not because it's being marketed falsely, but because it's not being marketed enough? Why on earth do you care? How does it make a least bit of difference? My brain is utterly failing here.
I guessed from the stupidity of your reply. If something is advertised enough then it won't sell as well. For those of you that are unaware (seeing as how I can no longer treat half of you as human beings) sales are good, not a lot of sales are bad. Now can the Darksiders fanboys on this forum either take that on the chin or fuck off and bother someone else.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Grampy_bone said:
I find it unlikely that "most people will own all four."

More like most people will play one and then zealously defend it on the internet as the best.

I never liked God of War as it is a crappy Devil May Cry knockoff. Since Dante's Inferno is a crappy God of War ripoff, that makes it a ripoff of a ripoff.

As the spiritual successor to Devil May Cry, Bayonetta has all my attention. I find it odd that people are bashing the game for being over sexualized when it is clearly very tongue-in-cheek, while God of War is all about a man who only stops killing people so he can bang two chicks at once. And it expects you to take it completely seriously. Dante's Inferno seems to follow in this vein as well. I'd rather play a game with a sense of humor than a ridiculous macho wankfest.

Plus, her guns are named Scarborough Fair, how awesome is that?
Best reply I've heard yet which is odd because I'm voting God of War. Still It made me laugh because he just pointed out everything that is wrong with people on this forum and he really spoke to me seeing as how I'm having my ankles torn at by over zealous Darksiders fanboys.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Where's the option: All of the above? :(

Also:
Grampy_bone said:
Are you on crack, or just incredibly stupid?