Poll: The Draft

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
Since I'll be joining the military anyway in order to pay for college, I'd go. However, I'd probably try to be in the branch least likely to get me killed/ less bullet spongy. Like the Air Force, or Navy (which is the plan for me anyway since they need electrical engineers)

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
If it was absolutely necessary for the survival of America, I'd go. If it was another crusade for democracy in some foreign country like Vietnam/Iraq, I would high-tail it to Canada.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I am no better and no more important than any of my country men. If the country calls for a certain percentage of us to join the military for what ever reason I would go. To do otherwise would be the height of arrogance and selfishness IMO. Fortunately being a democracy I would also try and vote out the incompetent bastards that got us into that situation in the next election cycle.

Ivan Issaccs

Oct 7, 2009
I don't think most people are imbued with the nationalism required too risk their life simply because a government asks for it.
However I'm beginning to think that a system of National Service like in Germany could be beneficial to society as a whole. Particularly in relation to the number of people in Americas prisons who are repeatedly jailed for poverty related crimes and for curbing the current of anti social behaviour in my own England.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Depends. If it was out of the country I would go to war, but if it were in my country, I would start a gurilla movement.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
In reality nobody likes the draft being shot at isn't fun
it basically mean the war is already lost
sending huge waves to go and get killed doesn't help the economy
military personal hate conscripts because they are completly unreliable and destroy morale created by the elitism of military forces and those who passed the training to join

Might as well fight in the draft death in battle is preferable to being slaughterd when the enemy invade and kill everyone

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
If absolutely necessary, then yes, I would, but I would be terrified all the way through.

I prefer to think of myself as cautious, prudent or, as others have called me; a total scaredy cat.

Chaos Bringer

Jul 1, 2009
I didn't vote because I guess it would have to depend on the circumstances (country, how bad we are losing or beating them, etc...)

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Assuming that the draft has been initiated when the nation is at dire risk of invasion, i would have probably already volunteered before that happened. Anything less than a risk of invasion and i would consider consciously objecting. However, volunteering before the draft happens may have its advantages, i would choose the service where your least likely to be killed, rather than be thrown into front line combat, i would possibly choose the British equivalent of America's "chair force".

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
I might be on the verge of joining the war effort, but I'd fight tooth and nail to keep from going if some old men who get more days off than any one else tried to make me go.

Kushin

May 17, 2009
Meh, I'd do the smart thing.

Wait till it looks like drafting is just around the corner, then volunteer myself and get to choose which of the forces I be put in.

As opposed to being told what to do and who to die for, I would consider my survival chances slightly better than the Average Joe in a slasher-film.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
I would go under the circumstances that it was expanded to include ALL people between 18-25, not just men. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't.

And actually, draft or not, they still need to change that blantanley sexist policy. I'm sorry, I thought this was 2009, not 1959, and I was under the impression you no longer needed a penis in order to shoot a terrorist.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Fuck America.
No matter where I was living, I wouldn't give it a second of thought - I'd move.

Countries mean nothing to me.
They're bits of land with paper saying what you can and can't do there.
Nothing worth dying for.
You, sir, have drilled a hole through my skull, and siphoned the words right out of my thoughts..