Poll: The Draft

TheLefty

May 21, 2008
I've actually been thinking about joining the marines. This would my excuse for my parents.

Skeleon said:
odubya23 said:
Of course not, that's why, even in the US, one can conscienciously object, or chose to serve as a non-combatant.
What does a "serving non-combatant" do, exactly? Does he still wear a uniform or is a civilian in a supporting role, away from the front-lines?
If it's the latter, that'd basically be what I opted for in my original response for this thread, anyway.
I assuming they'd take the medic position? Or maybe some backgrounds intel worker? I'm pretty sure if there's a draft they'd put you in the combat not on the back line looking at monitors.

StartRunning

Dec 14, 2007
I would just not do it. I would not hide and they can throw me in jail if it's that important to them, but I don't believe in war.

War is a pretty childish way of settling things and if they can't duke it out in civilized conversation, well, then they certainly don't need me.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
ae86gamer said:
I'd run and hide. I like America, but I'm not gonna die for it.
Never in the history of America have women been drafted.
You'd be fine.

I'd go shoot people for America, sure.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Good morning blues said:
Depends on the war. I think the right to conscientious objection is a fundamental democratic and human right.
Pretty much this, but I said no because I don't see America being involved in any moral wars anytime soon.

I hear Norway's nice

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
If they would let me join the airforce....if not the only way I'll enlist is when they start up a supersolider program.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I'm bored and want to go abroad anyway.

Would defiantly not go patriotic reasons, but more for the adventure.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I would probably enlist for a full term of service, usually a drafted soldier has to serve 2 years, the only thing the can train them for and still have time to use them for is infantry usually. But if I enlisted for a full term of about 3 years, I would probably not end up on the front line, depending on what was I was trained for I'd do that.

That said, if I could defer it for my university education I would do that, I'm studying medicine, I'd be more useful qualified than I am now. If I was drafted and finished my university education I'd enlist as a medical officer.

General Thrax

Apr 15, 2009
Naturalized said:
You mean turn down the chance to legally kill people? No way, if I was drafted I would definitely go. Legal killing is good.
Amen to that.

A friend of mine once wanted to walk up to a recruiter and say, "I tend to have this near uncontrollable urge to kill everyone around me. Could you help me with that?" But he lost his nerve and didn't do it.

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Fuck America.
No matter where I was living, I wouldn't give it a second of thought - I'd move.

Countries mean nothing to me.
They're bits of land with paper saying what you can and can't do there.
Nothing worth dying for.
I'm sure those people in countries without the glorious Freedom of Speech would agree with you.

Personally, I'm already enlisted so the draft wouldn't really phase me, it would just mean more people in my unit who do not want to be there. I'm against the draft. Combat and war is something that shouldn't be forced on anyone. America already has one of the best trained and equipped fighting forces in the world, made up of motivated, hard charging devil dogs, who all VOLUNTEERED for it. Forcing a bunch of scared shit less, high school graduates into a combat situation wouldn't go over well.

Quality over quantity.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
i would go serve my country, willingly butnot liking it, and procede to shit myself in fear.